Sign in to follow this  
fogboundturtle

the 777 FMC is driving me nuts

I got my route plan in EFASS. Both plane and software are using the latest AIRAC Cycle. I plan a very simple flight :

KLAX to KLAS.

Routing is DAG, J100, CLARR.

The Sids/stars route is :

KLAX24L

SLI

DAG

MISEN

CLARR

SKEBR

ISSAR

IPUMY

BLD

KLAS19L

Its not complicated. No matter how I try to enter any of this information in the FMC, I always end up with a legs "VECTOR" with a heading that brings me the complete direction. According to EFASS, 24L is through SEBBY8 transition. I go to DEPT/ARR and select 24L through SEBBY8. I got the Vector on top of my list. So as I take off , I am  heading towards Japan. When I watch the RAmzess tutorial, he had an option to view each step of his plan, I don't see that anywhere in this version of the FMC. Basically, no matter how many times, I try to enter this route, I get some discontinuity that I can't fix. Actually, every single airport I tried I get the same issue. I must be doing something wrong and I don't get it. I've been going at it for the past week and I can't figure this out.

It is the FMC in the 777 that is broken or am I doing something wrong ?

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

The 777 FMC is not broken, however the magenta line is. Let's have a look at SEBBY8 chart to find out why.

SEBBY8.jpg

You are missing 1 thing.
1: An Air Traffic Controller to tell you to turn left/right to a specific heading after you contact LAX Departures/approach.

You need to takeoff, and climb on heading 250 (NOT LNAV!) and pass the 160 radial of SMO below 3000ft. Then Wait till the controller tells you to do something, and then do that thing that the ATC tells you to do.

If you can't get in touch with them before you are 15 miles west of LAX. you should track direct to SLI and continue your flight from there.

Before you go and do all that though... watch this video.

To view your route, switch the ND from MAP to PLAN with the knob on the glareshield. It's next to the range selection and the baro settings. Then you get the STEP function in the FMC

The 777 FMC is not broken, however the magenta line is. Let's have a look at SEBBY8 chart to find out why.

SEBBY8.jpg

You are missing 1 thing.

1: An Air Traffic Controller to tell you to turn left/right to a specific heading after you contact LAX Departures/approach.

You need to takeoff, and climb on heading 250 (NOT LNAV!) and pass the 160 radial of SMO below 3000ft. Then Wait till the controller tells you to do something, and then do that thing that the ATC tells you to do.

If you can't get in touch with them before you are 15 miles west of LAX. you should track direct to SLI and continue your flight from there.

Before you go and do all that though... watch this video.

That helps a lot. Thank you so much for your contribution.

Yeah... quite often in SIDs there is a vectored part. I generally choose a SID by checking the relevant charts as EFASS does not always choose the appropriate. There are plenty of free charts online but I subscribe to Navigraph Cloud Charts  which I find handy.

Yeah... quite often in SIDs there is a vectored part. I generally choose a SID by checking the relevant charts as EFASS does not always choose the appropriate. There are plenty of free charts online but I subscribe to Navigraph Cloud Charts  which I find handy.

I noticed that. I always the transition manually now after looking at the charts. You guys gave me excellent information. Not only did it helped me with my 777 but it helped me with all my other planes that have FMC. I am back to being happy.

What an excellent post.  How nice to see someone helping out someone else, rather than just yelling, insulting or demanding they RTFM.  And with that as it's Friday, it's time for a beer :-)

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)