Sign in to follow this  
loop_n_roll

What to backup

I would like to backup my installation of FSX. I know FSX spreads some files around the hard drive. What folders should I copy to the backup drive?

AMD 3800X, Gigabyte Radeon 5700XT, AS Rock X570 Phantom Gaming 4, 32mb 3600 ram

Safest (and easier) to do a full system backup using e.g. Acronis. Backing up individual folders/directories usually misses out something you weren't aware of, especially if you have addons (and who doesn't).

Acronis allows you to do a full system restore or recover individual files. I swear by it.

I agree. Other than being able to restore textures or aircraft a backup of the FSX folder isn't really helpful. I've used Acronis for years and swear by it. Acronis has saved my bacon many times. Try it, you'll like it.....

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

You can buy Acronis if you want but it's totally overpriced for the home user. Around 60UKP for 3 licences. :rolleyes:

Instead I use Aomei Backupper Standard. It's free and does everything the overpriced commercial packages do. It's Chinese and they've done a great job.

http://www.backup-utility.com/free-backup-software.html

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

On 64bit Win Vista o/s and above.

Folders:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X"

"C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX"

"C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\FSX"

"C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX"

"C:\Users\<user>\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files"

"C:\Users\<user>\Pictures\Flight Simulator X Files"

Registry key:

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\microsoft games\flight simulator\10.0"

...simconnect modules installed in:

"C:\Windows\WinSxS"

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

But, what about the Registry entries for the add-ons? Having to reinstall the add-ons is, for many of us, far more onerous than reinstalling FSX. I know of no way to get around that problem.

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

But, what about the Registry entries for the add-ons? Having to reinstall the add-ons is, for many of us, far more onerous than reinstalling FSX. I know of no way to get around that problem.

Doug

Doug,

If you have FSX installed on the same drive as the OS then a disk image takes care of the lot.

If you have FSX on a separate SSD as I do then the Registry entries are unaffected.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Good point Ray. I just assumed that the OS and FSX were on the same drive. Thanks for the link to Aomei. New to me and I'll try it.

Doug

Aomei is really nice software. Using the Explore Image option you can temporarily mount an image backup and restore individual files without needing to go through the Restore option. Then when you've done just Detach it and job done. It recognises NAS boxes too.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

The real problem comes when an addon changes something in FSX you're not aware of. If you only back up and restore the "FSX" folders you can come unstuck. I have ! 

I've just downloaded and installed the free version of Aomei and am a bit confused.  Which option do I select to backup my entire system so that if my hard drive would fail I can simply copy the files back into the new hard drive without losing and FSX add-ons, etc.?  Do I clone the disk to my external hard drive?  Will that allow me to transfer the files back onto a new drive if my current one fails?

Thanks,

John

Knowing what to do to restore FSX at any time is a problem. I make image backups all the time and take them at important stages, like before installing something complicated.

After a clean install of FSX I always make a copy of the four main folders.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X"

"C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX"

"C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\FSX"

"C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX"

Later when some scenery or other changes something, I can compare file dates and restore some part of FSX back to defaults if need be. Generally I've only needed to do this.

As I collect addons I make sure I've got the original files stored safe and keys of the addons in a document. I also take a recent backup and keep it offsite.

We can observe the addon scenery folders by checking the scenery.cfg which points to those folders. If we moved planes from the FSX folder we know where they are, remembering that there may also be gauges installed too.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

As well as taking regular backups, the other thing you need to do is keep meticulous records of what changes you make to your  setup and when. That way you have some idea of what change introduced the problem you are seeing and what version you need to go back to for stability.

This is probably the most difficult part - it requires some discipline !

I've just downloaded and installed the free version of Aomei and am a bit confused.  Which option do I select to backup my entire system so that if my hard drive would fail I can simply copy the files back into the new hard drive without losing and FSX add-ons, etc.?  Do I clone the disk to my external hard drive?  Will that allow me to transfer the files back onto a new drive if my current one fails?

Thanks,

John

John.

Choose Backup - Disk Backup. That takes a mirror image of your hard drive including hidden partitions. Then choose an external hard drive as where to backup to.

This option also allows you to mount a backup and restore individual files if you wish. I've used that a few times. But its main purpose is to recreate what was on your original drive to a replacement following a failure or replacement of the existing disk.

Before you do this I suggest you choose Create Bootable Media from the Utilities menu. That will create a bootable USB stick or CD with the Aomei interface so you can use it to restore from a backup.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather