Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

HoloLens for Flight Simulation would be amazing (New Microsoft technology)

This would be amazing for Flight Simulation:

http://money.cnn.com/2015/01/21/technology/innovationnation/microsoft-windows-holographic/index.html

If Microsoft got back in the game this would be the way to go.  Lockheed would do well with this also with P3D.  TrackIR was great but to virtually have a full cockpit Holographically around you that you could interact with would be amazing.  This could turn the gaming industry on it's head was well.

• Upvote 1

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Could you imagine sitting in the cockpit of the PMDG 744v2 during a very busy flight on Avsim? Especially when you know the controllers are using the same thing. Too Kool!!! 

Incredible piece of kit, although I fear it will be a few years (if ever) that we see this generally available.

Will it be affordable? That is the real question. It is however a dramatic breakthrough and harbinger of the future.

Perhaps one day Geordi's visor will become a reality.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I would caution folks to temper their expectations a bit. If you read the article closely, it states: "To start, the things people will be able to do with HoloLens will likely be very basic. So don't expect to be able to pick up a virtual gun and play holographic Halo or see a holographic representation of your redesigned kitchen right off the bat." It isn't creating a virtual environment, but rather imposing simulated objects in your real environment. So you might be able to look at a model of a 787 in your living room, but unless you have a verrry looong living room, you won't be taking off to fly anywhere. Maybe later down stream, but with M$, who knows?

I would caution folks to temper their expectations a bit. If you read the article closely, it states: "To start, the things people will be able to do with HoloLens will likely be very basic. So don't expect to be able to pick up a virtual gun and play holographic Halo or see a holographic representation of your redesigned kitchen right off the bat." It isn't creating a virtual environment, but rather imposing simulated objects in your real environment. So you might be able to look at a model of a 787 in your living room, but unless you have a verrry looong living room, you won't be taking off to fly anywhere. Maybe later down stream, but with Microsoft, who knows?

Not expecting allot at the onset, this is just the beginning.  That being said anyone can see what this can lead to especially in the gaming community.  For simulation in another few years this can be revolutionary.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

That is a good observation about the technology! This partially addresses the issue I have with the OR in not being able to see anything in my real world surrounding environment.

If anyone remembers the Mars Attacks pinball game, then you know it had the potential to produce good quality visuals in a dark but not completely dark background.

According to MS, it will be available to end users roughly when Win 10 is released. It sounds like a good alternative to Occulus Rift.