Sign in to follow this  
ega

From FSX box to FSX:SE

I am prepared to use FSX:SE only and uninstall all the 165 GB I have accumulated in FSX!

What is the recommended procedure? Uninstall first all addons (to reinstall them again on FSX:SE) and after that uninstall FSX?

Also, does the uninstallation of FSX leaves behind non-original material, e.g., an addon scenery or aircraft or is the complete FSX directory wiped out?

I would appreciate some feedback/recommendations from those who have already made this procedure.

Thanks

Edmundo Azevedo

Removing FSX via the control panel can leave any FSX folders that have files added since the first installation. To completely remove it, check and remove these folders (on 64bit Win Vista o/s and above):

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X"

"C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX"

"C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\FSX"

"C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX" (for future reference, you may want to back up some files here like fsx.cfg, dll.xml, exe.xml)

The original simconnect files will not be removed (from "C:\Windows\WinSxS") but that's OK.

The registry key can also be removed (with regedit.exe) for completeness:

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\microsoft games\flight simulator\10.0"

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

...you may also want to backup and or remove the docs and pics folders:

"C:\Users\<user>\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files"

"C:\Users\<user>\Pictures\Flight Simulator X Files"

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

I went down the route of uninstalling FSX and then installing FSX Steam.

If, before uninstalling, you edit the scenery.cfg file in "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX" and add in the full path entry for each 'add-on scenery' e.g. "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\ add-on scenery\......."then you can copy across entrys to the new FSX Steam scenery.cfg file or copy the whole file, thus avoiding having to reinstall all existing scenery.

You can also do the same in the dll.xml and exe.XML mentioned above before backing up, then copy across entries to the new ones created by FSX:SE.

Installed aircraft are better being reinstalled into FSX:SE.

Also if you use fsuipc, you should download the latest version and reinstall in FSX:SE.

If you uninstall FSX first then it is more likely re-installations will work as FSX Steam will be identified in the registry as FSX since it installs the program as FSX.exe, whereas if FSX:SE is installed before uninstalling FSX, it is installed as FSX:SE.exe, which is why many install programs would need amending to work.

Hope this helps.

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV3373

Thanks Steve and Stuart for your advices.

Actually I am backing up all my present FSX folder, in addition to those you listed.

Thanks!

Edmundo Azevedo