Sign in to follow this  
Budbud

Sync baro captain-FO?

Hi,

Sorry if I missed that on the forums, but is there a possibility to add an option to synchronize the baro settings of the captain and FO in PDMG products?

It can be pretty tedious to set a minimum of thousands of feet on with both EFIS controls one after the other... like in SLLP for instance where the minimums for the ILS 10 is 13340ft.

It is much better on the T7, but on the NGX, even using the mousewheel, it is quite boring...

As the option already exists for the altimeters... I still wonder why it doesn't for the baro settings.

Thanks.

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

As the option already exists for the altimeters... I still wonder why it doesn't for the baro settings.

Why is there a need? You're only flying from the one seat.

Kyle Rodgers

You are right, it is just that I'm used to setting it on both side as I do for the altimeters (plus the standby one).

But I realize by reading your answer that it may be useless as it is just an indication to the pilots with if I'm not wrong no effect on the whole FMS.

While a difference in altimeters settings may have critical consequences...

I just need to set my mind to give up setting up the minimums on FO's side when it comes to great values... It might disturb me for a while especially when flying with Fs2crew but I think I can get over it!  :Silly:

Thanks for your answer.

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

It might disturb me for a while especially when flying with Fs2crew but I think I can get over it! 

I think FS2Crew sets the FO side...doesn't it? I never paid attention. Honestly, the only PFD that matters to me is my own, so I make sure my own area of responsibility is covered and not much else (when in the sim - when flying real world, I obviously make sure that things are properly communicated and checked).

Kyle Rodgers

Actually no, the FO does only select radio/baro but does not set the value. 

Honestly, the only PFD that matters to me is my own, so I make sure my own area of responsibility is covered and not much else 

I should go to check to check in the manuals but isn't there a warning if the discrepancy in altitude between both MFDs exceeds a value (as for instance if the altimeters are not properly set)?

I must confess that I never tried that as I always set both.

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

A couple of things that are worth bearing in mind:

- The autopilot (at least in the Jumbo) will take it's altitude information from the 'on-side' altimeter; so as long as you always engage the autopilot corresponding to the seat you're flying from you should be fine (however, if you engage the opposite side autopilot and don't set the corresponding altimeter correctly you may find yourself at the wrong level).

- In the 747v1 I'm pretty sure the 'minimums' auto callout is driven from the captain's side -- so if you're flying from the left seat you don't need to worry about setting the FO's side, but if you're flying from the right seat you still need to bug DA/H on the Captain's side or you won't get a 'minimums' call. This may not be the case for every type, however.

Personally I always just set both sides the same to avoid any unexpected surprises -- doesn't take a huge amount of effort to set QNH and approach minimums on both sides (I don't usually bug acceleration altitude on the non-flying side for the reason you describe, though).

I should go to check to check in the manuals but isn't there a warning if the discrepancy in altitude between both MFDs exceeds a value (as for instance if the altimeters are not properly set)?
I must confess that I never tried that as I always set both.

For the altimeters, sure, which is why I use the SYNC BARO for the altimeters in my PMDG aircraft. For the mins, it's all driven by the Capt side anyway, so I never even bother with the FO's side.

Kyle Rodgers