Sign in to follow this  
rsperge

having trouble with fsx icon opening up on desktop

If you do a CTRL-ALT-DELETE to bring up the task manager when your mouse freezes, does it

say FSX "Running" or "Not Responding"?

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

IMHO stop messing around with FSX.

When you double click any icon on the Desktop you are not communicating with that program, you are with Windows. So if the program doesn't let's say open, is Windows that is not opening that program.

Jim was in the right path but a little too shy. I would have shutdown Windows completely paying attention if indeed it did. Sometimes it gets hung forcing you to reset or press the on/off button of the machine if you do not have a reset button. If it did, power it up again, if it didn't, do the Safe mode dance first.  

Once you are back in normal Windows Mode after and when the reboot completely finished find and apply a little batch file called "Rebuild_Icon_Cache.bat". This will ultimately end up in another reboot.

After this last completed reboot, double click again in the FSX in the desktop.

The above explanation assumes of course you did not mess up FSX. If you did? Well good luck now.

Cheers,

PS:Win 7 x64. Don't know anything about Win 8.0/8.1.

ran fsx first time, responded and fired up and was running, closed it out, waited for a couple of minutes, clicked again on the fsx icon, and the program never responded, and the mouse was not frozen.

It seems I have tried everything,  I still have the cds from fsx gold edition, is there a repair program in one of the cd's ?  How risky is this as well ?  It seems there is some kind of a software problem, by the way the only anti viral I have is Norton, and that is not an issue, I am running windows 7.

I am really lost on this one!!!  I appreciate all the advise, any other suggestions welcomed

thanks so much, Ronny

Yes, the disks have Repair option.  If you know what you are doing, and what to back up (I don't, and it doesn't look like you do either) then start with Acceleration Repair to see if that fixes it, and then proceed accordingly, which might involve uninstalling Acceleration and service packs. See charliearon post #10.   Looks risky to me.  If you don't know what you are doing then it is time to consider a full unininstall and reinstall. 

I was able to deal with an icon problem (one that was different than yours) by doing the Acceleration Repair, but it was on a completely fresh install that I had just done 10 minutes before, so there was nothing to back up or screw up.

okay here's an update, like mentioned earlier when I use the icon on the desktop for fsx the first time it loads up,now I close it out properly even checking with task manager, no programs running.  A few seconds later try a second time hitting the icon on the desktop, everything freezes, all you see is the fsx blue screen and nothing else.

on the otherhand I noticed recently when I use Rex essential plus, version 3.42014.1126, it will start up fsx every time , no problem on the second or third etc etc try.

So what is going on here?  That's the only way I can open up fsx more than once.  By the way I am using fsx Gold Edition