Sign in to follow this  
rsperge

having trouble with fsx icon opening up on desktop

this never happened before, been simming for years, have fsx gold edition, but the icon on the desktop will not open up fsx, anway to get around this, or fix it? I surley don't want to do an uninstall.

what could be causing this ? and how do I repair this problem? please help me,

So the desktop Shortcut Icon will not open FSX when you double-click it?  Can you navigate to your

main FSX folder and double-click the same Icon in there and see what happens?

Your shortcut may be corrupt.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

So I went into the fsx folder, and bingo, clicked on the icon in that folder fsx started.

Then after a couple of minutes I shut down fsx. I then clicked on the same icon in the fsx folder for the second time, and nothing happened, it never open up

Anymore suggestions, want to fly, need some help please. Seems we made some progress.

I then clicked on the same icon in the fsx folder for the second time, and nothing happened, it never open up

Make sure FSX was completely shutdown when you tried a second time. Best thing to do is logoff of your computer and then log back on to make sure everything was shutdown. Right click on the FSX.exe icon and select Run as Administrator.

If that does not work, there is a known cause for this to occur if you have any FSDT airports installed and/or use the Addon Manager. Simply download the latest version and install. I think the entry in the dll.xml or exe.xml gets corrupted and will not allow FSX to start up.

If that does not work, then move your fsx.cfg, dll.xml, and exe.xml to a temporary folder. Restart FSX. A new fsx.cfg will be rebuilt. If that works, then move the dll.xml and exe.xml back to the folder and see if the problem totally goes away.

More solutions/suggestions can be found in the AVSIM CTD Guide.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

unfortunately still have the problem, the first time when I try to Open FSX with the icon in the folder, fsx runs and opens up.  When I try again the fsx icon will not open up.  Firehawk 44 I tried everything that you mentioned but still no luck.  Any other suggestions would greatly be appreciated, and where would I find the Avsim CTD Guide.

I have a suggestion because I ran into an FSX icon problem the last time I installed FSX Gold, specifically after the Acceleration portion of installation had completed.  If you are confident it won't break any addons you might have put in, stick the Acceleration disk in and run the Repair option.  I did this and it cleared up my icon problem, but I did it on an absolutely fresh installation. It might not be safe for you to do this on yours without breaking something.

I've had issues with icons disappearing occasionally. It might be worth trying to rebuild the icon cache, assuming you're using W7. Couldn't hurt.

1. Close all folder windows that are currently open.

2. Launch Task Manager using the CTRL+SHIFT+ESC key sequence, or by running taskmgr.exe.

3. In the Process tab, right-click on the Explorer.exe process and select End Process.

4. Click the End process button when asked for confirmation.

5. From the File menu of Task Manager, select New Task (Run…)

6. Type CMD.EXE, and click OK

7. In the Command Prompt window, type the commands one by one and press ENTER after each command:

CD /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local
DEL IconCache.db /a
EXIT

Note: %userprofile% represents the path to user profile folder.

8. In Task Manager, click File, select New Task (Run…)

9. Type EXPLORER.EXE, and click OK.

from: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-desktop/desktop-icons-show-as-generic-icons/07dbbabc-8eb5-4493-99f5-15627530e72e

What would happen if you just deleted the desktop icon, then went into the FSX folder with the working icon, right clicked on it and send it to desk top as a shortcut?

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

the problem that I am havng now is that I can use the icon is the fsx folder, but after closing out fsx, and then trying it again, fsx never opens up again, its weird, first time it works second time it doesn't. 

how abou this, I still have the cds from fsx gold edition, is their a repair tool on the cd's.  I really don't want to do an uninstall, just have too much stuff.

The biggie with a Repair is any default file, including those default aircraft.cfgs with added liveries, that have been modified, tweaked, or otherwise changed, will be returned to default status.
You can make a copy of your existing FSX folder/subfolders before the repair and paste those individual files back in afterwards.

If you have SP1, SP2, or Acceleration installed, they must be uninstalled before a repair attempt, and reinstalled, after the repair, or it won't work.

Once you have your FSX up and running properly again, back it up, all of it.

You may need it again and it's a lot easier than a Repair or Re-Install.

Backup your FSX.cfg and anything that you do want want to be set back to default status.  Addon

aircraft and scenery should not be affected.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

I wasn't suggesting he do a repair all the way down to the Version 1.0 level, only on the Acceleration.  That way he doesn't have to uninstall anything.  He still has to back things up.  I don't know if doing a repair on Acceleration would work for him anyway, only that when I had an icon problem, on a brand new install, it did.

Rsperge, on a fully built installation like yours, I wouldn't do it myself, because I would be too afraid that something would break and I wouldn't know how to fix it other than complete reinstallation of everything.  Maybe you are more bold.  Before doing any of that, certainly do Cmpbellsjc's and BeechPapa's suggestions first. 

Also, is your icon the blue square with the white airplane inside, or is it the Windows "generic file" icon?

the icons that I have are all the blue square with the white airplane inside.  I did try copying the icon from within the fsx folder onto the desktop, but got the following error message ID=25[null]

all fsx icons, start menue, desktop, in the fsx main folder, all work at least once.  When I close down fsx, and then for a couple of minutes or so, and then try to reopen fsx for the second time with any of these 3 icons [start menue, desktop, main fsx folder] fsx will not open up.  All you see is the blue screen, and nothing else happens after that.

the only thing I have not tried yet from these suggestions, is BeechPappa, not sure on how to write it up, when it says type the commands one by one, and press enter after each command.

any other suggestions would be welcomed, I even did a system restore.  By the way all my other icons on my desktop are working perfectly

Firstly, the FSX Icon on you Desktop is a shortcut.

The one in the FSX folder is the actual FSX.exe file

Moving that one to the Desktop is a no-no.

Before you reinstall or repair, are you sure that FSX is not actually running and just does not show up on your Desktop?

Do you see the Icon on the Taskbar when you restart FSX?

If so, click on it, then press Alt+Enter.

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Okay this is what happens, getting closer I feel, thanks to N60JBravo, and everybody else, when I started fsx the first timeby using the desktop icon, fsx fired up. Now after I closed out fsx, and clicked again on the desktop icon for the second time, yes I see FSX down in the taskbar, but my "mouse" is stalled, and thus nothing is happening, I can't click on anything. Yes fsx blue screen comes up and is in the task bar, so what should I do now to eliminate this problem? That has to be the reason.  Basically the mouse freezes the second time I try to run fsx.   How do you fix this ??

so how do I fix this issue with the mouse freezing the second time when yu click on the fsx icon to start up again ?