Sign in to follow this  
Gregg_Seipp

VOXATC Pinned FAQ?

Hi all,

Clearly I'm the new kid on the block when it comes to this software.  After some real frustrations I found many answers to how to do things and keep things working.  This forum has nearly ten years(!) of topics and I thought it might help people out if we created a pinned FAQ (and perhaps some other pinned things) that might help people through starting out.  I took a shot at what I think the kinds of questions people might have including some of the things that tripped me up.  I inserted blank lines where I don't know the answer to the question yet.  I'm hoping some of you guys with experience might grab some of the questions and help by providing simple answers.  I'll update them and help filling in blanks as we go.

Thanks,

Gregg

Does VoxATC affect framerates?

Not that I've seen.

Does VoxATC control AI?

Yes.

How good is the voice recognition?

After you go through the Windows training...it's pretty good!

How flexible is the phraseology?

That's hard to quantify.  It does expect you to say certain things like your aircraft type and last three letters of your tail number or your callsign pretty accurately.  e.g. Beech Five One Delta.  

How does it work?

VoxATC installs in your panel.  When you start your sim, go to Views->Instrument Panel->VoxATC to start it.

What do I need to do to get started?

You can download the free 2 week trial from www.voxatc.com.  When you install VoxATC it will ask you which aircraft to install Vox in.  Select all aircraft that you want to use.  Then run the following Vox applications:
1.  Voice configuration.   On the Settings tab select your output device.  More often than not, this will be your headset.
2.  Joystick setup.  Set the buttons to use for the commands.  There are options for Push to Talk, Transponder Ident, and viewing the message windows.

Do I have to have a flightplan loaded?

Yes.  Load the flightplan before enabling VoxATC.  You can create it within FSX or with flight planning software.  VoxATC will recognize flightplans injected by other software.

Does it work with VFR and IFR flightplans?

Yes.

What if I change my flightplan while in a flight?

Can I load VoxATC in the middle of my flight?

What can cause a FATAL ERROR?

Not having a flight plan loaded.
A bad AFCAD can sometimes cause a FATAL ERROR.
_________ any others?

What do I do if I get a FATAL ERROR?

_________

Why is it telling me "Unable at this time"?  What do I do about it?

_________

Why is it telling me "Hold"?  What do I do about it?

_________

How do I use SIDs and STARs?

I use an EFB.  Will it recognize the SID or STAR in my flightplan?

No.  I tried it on Aivlasoft EFB and it didn't work.

Can I use Com 2?

No.

Does it work with live weather applications like ASN and REX?

Yes.

What if I want to divert to another airport?

What if I do a go-around or missed approach?

I just landed and it told me to park at spot A13.  How do I find that?

My message window keeps disappearing.  What do I do?

First, you're not required to have it open but it's a nice guide.  If it disappears you can make it reappear by clicking O (the letter...not the number).  You can also assign that to a joystick button with the Joystick Setup.  There's also a way to make it permanently stay up by editing __________________.

It keeps switching me back and forth on frequencies!

I've heard that can happen sometimes.

How can I check the ATIS when inbound to an airport?

How do I depart IFR from a non-towered airport?

How can I select a different approach than was given to me?

Can I practice VFR pattern work?

Is there a way to do practice instrument approaches?

Where can I get additional voices?

How do install new voices?

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Already found a mistake...

I use an EFB. Will it recognize the SID or STAR in my flightplan?

Yes it does work.  Install the Level6 767 Navigraph data.  Use the Advanced Settings tool to set the path to the "navdata" directory.  From then on, if there's a SID or STAR in your AivlaSoft flightplan VOXATC will see it and include it in your Clearance.

Pretty cool

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

You can use comms 2 and also listen to ATIS for destination.

Oh...I read a thread that said you couldn't.  My bad.  I confirmed you're right on my current flight.  So, can you tune the ATIS on COM2 and listen while you're monitoring COM1 as your primary frequency?  I'm assuming the two radios can't actually talk over each other?

Gregg Seipp

Oh...I read a thread that said you couldn't. My bad. I confirmed you're right on my current flight. So, can you tune the ATIS on COM2 and listen while you're monitoring COM1 as your primary frequency? I'm assuming the two radios can't actually talk over each other?

If you set comms 2 to ATIS it will play, but will stop if the controller talks to you or some ther aircraft then it will resume.

Naif Almazroa

My Youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/Youmou0205

If you set comms 2 to ATIS it will play, but will stop if the controller talks to you or some ther aircraft then it will resume.

That's perfect.  BTW, I notice that, despite the fact that I'm able to use Com 2, the prompt in the dialog is still telling me to tune the frequency...apparently it's looking at Com 1.

Gregg Seipp

Interesting idea to have a faq. I have a few more questions

For sid without any waypoint i.e. Only vectors, how can we ensure that vox will include it.

If there is sid with multiples waypoint ex: 5 to 10 VOR depicted on the chart, is any VOR included ensure that the VOR will be selected?

Is there any rules for vox to select a star when a waypoint that is on your flight plan appears on several Star.

... And others like this....

In your list a couple of point are explained in the manual. Ex you can select an alternate airport so when you go for a missed, vox can route you in thebrught direction.

Pierre

P3D when its freezing in Quebec....well, that's most of the time...
C-GDXL based at CYQB for real flying when its warming up...

In your list a couple of point are explained in the manual. Ex you can select an alternate airport so when you go for a missed, vox can route you in thebrught direction.

Yes, I saw a section on it.  I'm reading through it, though, sometimes I'm finding the info thin. 

Gregg Seipp