Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

Can't run Textures past Normal

Is this happening to anyone else?

With the last few updates I've had to back off my main texture quality to normal, anything above yields super stutters and very low fps.

Is this solely because of my 1.2 GB vram GTX 570?

This is why I've quit XP for the last few months... not even enjoyable anymore with this low res stuff

normalsucks.jpg

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Have you enable compress texture in VRAM ? If you did, you certainly might be limited by your card VRAM.

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

Yeah I've got that set from day one...

Hmmm... well hopefully a new GTX 970 will help!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I am using extreme resolution @ 1440p with my GTX 970.

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

A year ago, I had a GTX 570 too and could run it on extreme res ... BUT, with some airplanes or with lots of clouds it could lead to stutters too.

So, as always, you never can only look at one factor when you have FPS problem as in a sim there are a lot of things which can influence it (sometimes ... combinations of those can lead to problems,while only one of them would not be a problem).

Nice pics in your Flickr gallery - glorious mountain majesties!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

I'm currently using extreme res on my 660Ti and have no stutters at all.

Rob

Just monitor you vram usage via gpu-z (or other tools).
I think it is well possible to run into vram shortage with "high" texture resolution and just 1.2 GB available. My 2GB card wasn't able to run "extreme" setting (with default aircraft and default scenery). Of course it depends a lot on WHERE you fly. Add hd mesh / some custom scenery and a HD aircraft and 1.2 GB is close to nothing. 4GB is the way to go.

Flo

I'm currently using extreme res on my 660Ti and have no stutters at all.

Rob

You run HD mesh with addons? What are your other settings?

As an update to this I am running Very High HDR with 2xSSAA etc....  if I turn AA off I can get about 24 fps or so.  If I set FXAA I get about 20.  But SSAA apparently molests my GPU.  Even with AA off, my GPU shows 98% usage in nvidia inspector lol.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

Yes, I am using Mesh V3.

I only use extreme res, when flying in less dense areas with Photo scenery.

In most situations, I leave it at "Very High". Extreme res is very hard on FPS in most cases and the difference in quality is not usually worth the sacrifice. Still, I do run it at extreme res from time to time in less dense areas with photo scenery. Also certain cockpits look better with its set to extreme res, but most do not matter. In a rural area, ill get about 28-32 FPS at Very High. At Extreme res, the most iIl get is about 20FPS (same area). In NYC area, Extreme res is a slide show. High Res stays at about 27-28. With lots of addons and Aerosoft ManhattanX.

Since I fly around NY a lot and that area is by nature, very hard on FPS in any sim, I leave it on Very high majority of the time. I have HDR on, at 2XSSAA+FXAA Anistropic level at 4X. There is still a little shimmering, but only at a distance and does not bother me. My native res is 1920*1080.

I keep Trees at "tree hugger", Number of objects at "Too Many" Roads at "Tons" Cars at "Chicago Suburbs".

Its all at trade off and depends on personal preferences. Remember, you need to restart XP after to change the texture resolution.

Rob

I'm using a more robust system, but even so I have trees set to "Filled in", Objects "Too many", Roads at "Tons", Cars at "Siberian winter" and AI at 8.  What I've found is that the trees look good in forested areas at just "Filled in" and I don't need a freeway string of moving cars.  Just a couple of concessions I make to keep framerates way high with HD mesh v3 and SkyMaxx Pro 2 demanding a lot of hardware resources.  The cloud setting is a framerate killer and you don't gain all that much by pushing them to the wall.

Yeah it seems the AA level affects fps the most for me.  I hate running FXAA it's so shimmery but for now I guess I'm stuck with that if I want to run high textures.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

What I do is push one setting and then make a judgement as to whether the increase in eye candy is worth the resulting framerate decrease.  I keep my framerates well above 50 and my system does a very good job of generating good graphics and good flyability.  4xSSAA FXAA with HDR and 4x Anisotropic is a sweet spot for me.  Very little gained going to 8xSSAA FXAA - not enough to use it.  It may well depend on the card, the VRAM and even the drivers.  (Just installed nVidia 347.25 today and they seem to be doing fine.)

I am running a 760 4 gig with extreme rez and it does well, but not running HDR.

Bob

HDR is pretty heavy on my end but I love the night lighting, the NL is the reason I even bought XP.

Anyway I've backed it down to High textures mixed with FXAA.  Super shimmery but fps in the 30's in cities and above in more rural areas.

MU-2 at MVY

muMVY.jpg

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |