Sign in to follow this  
angeli662

? sun corona/halo/glare

Not sure if is DX10 related problem but would like to ask some if there is a fix for it.

When I am in flight in the VC  and the sun is  straight ahead it looks perfectly fine but when I start turning/banking and the sun start moving towards  the side windows the halo moves faster the sun itself to a point where they are two complete images, one for the sun and the other for the halo. only when start turning to the sun the two images combine again. It only does when in full screen mode  as I have triple displays set up, when in window all fine.

Could anyone give some light on this issue?

thanks

Asus Rampage VI Extreme Encore(water Cooled) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Hybrid, 64 DD4 @ 2800 2 x 2x M.2 in raid 0.

I've never seen that before...

How 'bout dropping a progression of pictures into this thread,to show your angle movement, and the effect it is having on the sun and its corona.  That would help others see what you are seeing...

Thanks for the reply Sesquashtoo, here is some pics and it is in single window mode, it does  full screen with triple displays too.

In my 3x30" displays it goes as 2" apart.luKG9.jpg

Asus Rampage VI Extreme Encore(water Cooled) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Hybrid, 64 DD4 @ 2800 2 x 2x M.2 in raid 0.

I believe what you are seeing is not the corona...but a sun-glare shift.

Try this....set your cockpit 'zoom factor' to 60 percent, and then see if that clears this up. I think that it might.  It is a spatial distortion. Also, are you running in WideView mode?  If so...make that 'False' and then see if that might also clear this up....if not...I have some other ideas...

Ses

Thanks again, the zoom didn't help and the wideview=false with my resolution @ 7852 x 1600 doen't look right.

Any other idea?

I really appreciate.

TJN2K.jpg

Thanks again, the zoom didn't help and the wideview=false with my resolution @ 7852 x 1600 doen't look right.

Any other idea?

I really appreciate.

TJN2K.jpg

Ok...so since we are seeing this THROUGH the cockpit forward screens...please take a picture in Spot Mode, aimed at the sun...to see if any skew is happening BECAUSE of us looking out through the front screens. Let's see what it looks like as only viewed through the atmosphere, and also, please list what meteorological programs you are using (for instance REX for clouds, sun, and their textures/ Weather programs...ASN,EVO, Active Sky..etc)   That would also help.... 

Ses

There has been another thread dealing with that problem. As far as i remember, the reason was a corrupted halo.bmp. Did you install REX or another product with own halo-textures?

Perhaps installing the original FSX halo would solve the problem?!

Matthias

There has been another thread dealing with that problem. As far as i remember, the reason was a corrupted halo.bmp. Did you install REX or another product with own halo-textures?

Perhaps installing the original FSX halo would solve the problem?!

Matthias

Thamks Ses, Mathias, I never touched any files but I did install Rex texture Direct/Rex soft cloud and also in my FSX-PC client ASN. I do have RexPlusOD HD but rarely use. Whe could I get the original HALO file?

is it even possible to get it?

Thanks again

Rick

Mh, that's difficult, cause it depends on your installation.

REX PlusOD has several sun textures, same with REX Texture Direct. The only product, which only adds cloud textures, is the REX SoftCloud. And if you choose certain airport light enhancements with RED OD or Direct, then the halo might have been changed without you noticed.

But bevore using REX software, you should have make a backup of your original FSX textures. Perhaps do a search for backup files under the REX program folder, not inside the FSX folder. I am not at my FSX PC at the moment, but i can have a look to the size and the date of the halo.bmp i have in my backup folder.

Hope this hint helps.

Matthias

Ok, i checked at home.

For example, in my REX Texture Direct program folder, i can find a subfolder called BackupFSX. Under TEXTURE there are all the files like they have been before Texture Direct was installed. Please have a lock, if there is a similar folder inside the REX OD, cause OD might be installed some time before Texture Direct was released to the market, and so the files there might be the original FSX files.

But i can't tell you exactly, which files got corrupted. Make a backup of your current halo.bmp perhaps, and try restoring with an earlier version. And perhaps try searching this forum again, i think the topic has been discussed in the DX10 forum some weeks ago.

Matthias

Thanks Mathias, I did find a suneffect.cfg file named .old and in the texture folder I found a few files also with the .old. I did renamed them to .bak and the .old ones just deleted the .old. it seem it correct the problem. I have a feeling it was Rex Texture Direct but not sure. It could be my adult ADD  :rolleyes: .

Thanks for your help and thanks to Sesquashtoo too.

Hey,

glad you got it sorted! Sometimes i really wonder that my FSX installation seems to be stable over years :P

Matthias

Thanks Mathias, I did find a suneffect.cfg file named .old and in the texture folder I found a few files also with the .old. I did renamed them to .bak and the .old ones just deleted the .old. it seem it correct the problem. I have a feeling it was Rex Texture Direct but not sure. It could be my adult ADD  :rolleyes: .

Thanks for your help and thanks to Sesquashtoo too.

Sure glad you got it all figured out.  It would have bugged me as well. Good stuff!

Ses