Sign in to follow this  
chapstick

777 installation to FSX-SE error: "Could not locate a valid FSX.cfg location"

When I run the latest 777LR installer I'm getting the following error after it looks like it finished installing: 

"Could not locate a valid FSX.cfg location."

The only FSX version I have installed is FSX-SE. After I hit "Ok" in the error dialog the installer deletes most of the installed files and I'm unable to access the 777 in game. 

Anyone else seeing this?

PMDG is working as we speak on implementing the 777 into FSX SE. In the general support forum there's a threat with info on this

-edit- just read the new installer is out. Did you download the new updated Triple7?

b77lr_10.jpg

Harro Lippmann

Yes, I'm using the latest installer that lets you choose whether you want to install to FSX, FSX-SE, or both. 

Yes, I'm using the latest installer that lets you choose whether you want to install to FSX, FSX-SE, or both. 

Full names in the PMDG forum please.

Is the error message coming from the PMDG installer or from FSXSE after you launch it?

Where is your FSX.cfg installed?

Dan Downs KCRP

Full names in the PMDG forum please.

Is the error message coming from the PMDG installer or from FSXSE after you launch it?

Where is your FSX.cfg installed?

It's coming from the PMDG installer.

CFG is located in the default location, C:\Users\*myname*\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX-SE. My FSX folder is located on a G:\ drive. 

same problem here.

I have the latest 777 installer confirmed. When I launch the installer it tells me I dont have FSX installed...doesn't say anything about FSX-SE. It then aborts.

Ive just installed 50 add ons or more and they all point to FSX-SE but not the 777

Ive used 2 different registry cleaners so this is all a bit annoying as I dont see what else I could do

ZORAN

same problem here.

I have the latest 777 installer confirmed. When I launch the installer it tells me I dont have FSX installed...doesn't say anything about FSX-SE. It then aborts.

Ive just installed 50 add ons or more and they all point to FSX-SE but not the 777

Ive used 2 different registry cleaners so this is all a bit annoying as I dont see what else I could do

That is not the same problem. It may be related, but yours is occurring before installation and is not trying to point out FSX.cfg. My error occurs after installation when it's trying to find the FSX.cfg. 

It's coming from the PMDG installer.

CFG is located in the default location, C:\Users\*myname*\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX-SE. My FSX folder is located on a G:\ drive. 

Alex, I asked because I wasn't aware that the PMDG installer looked for fsx.cfg and I'm sure that it doesn't make changes to it. However, if you say the PMDG installer is providing the error message I believe you.

My fsx.cfg is in a comparable location on C; and my FSXSE is on my F drive so we know that combo is not a problem.

I recommend you open a trouble ticket at PMDG Product Support to get this cleared up. Good luck.

Dan Downs KCRP

That is not the same problem. It may be related, but yours is occurring before installation and is not trying to point out FSX.cfg. My error occurs after installation when it's trying to find the FSX.cfg. 

your fsx.cfg or fsx-se.cfg?

Muhamad Aliff

Alex, I asked because I wasn't aware that the PMDG installer looked for fsx.cfg and I'm sure that it doesn't make changes to it. However, if you say the PMDG installer is providing the error message I believe you.

My fsx.cfg is in a comparable location on C; and my FSXSE is on my F drive so we know that combo is not a problem.

I recommend you open a trouble ticket at PMDG Product Support to get this cleared up. Good luck.

Thanks for your help, I did put a ticket in. 

your fsx.cfg or fsx-se.cfg?

The error says "FSX.cfg", but I know it's supposed to be looking for "FSX-SE.cfg". I even tried changing FSX-SE.cfg to FSX.cfg and it still couldn't find it. I also changed the folder that it's in to just read "FSX" and no luck. 

Good point Muhamad, it's named fsx_se.cfg... I missed that. Regardless, I'm surprised the the PMDG installer is creating the error message and since I can't look over his shoulder I recommended PMDG Product Support.

Dan Downs KCRP

No problem this end. Install was flawless. Make sure you have done all the prep work, dll.xml is where it should be etc. Simconnect installed correctly etc.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Gents-

Take a look at the post I put up in the main forum regarding trouble installing for FSX:SE users...

Let us know if it cures the problem, please?

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com