Sign in to follow this  
fogboundturtle

So far, it's one of the most frustrated experience I ever had with an 3rd party addons

I have multiple 3rd party plane addons but PMDG earns the crown so far as being the buggiest and most frustrating plane to setup in FSX:SE. I am not talking about flying the plane here. I am talking just to get all my setup working. FSX doesn't recognize my Saitek X52 after I load the PMDG plane. It's available when I start the game but as soon as I load an PMDG plane,It's gone. I tried setting up FSUIPC but in controls, I only have the mouse yoke option, when I go to the FSUIPC addons, only about half the buttons on my controller can be set. If I go out of focus to my 2nd screen to search something, something when I get back to FSX,  I can no longer hold the spacebar to look around.  The whole time, Windows 8.1 sees the controller as available and fully operational. Do I have to wipe FSX:SE and start all over again ?

I went to bed last night at 2am with the feeling that I lost 130$.  So can anyone help out from my frustrated state to an state where I can at least setup my config and actually do some flying ?

Addons install : ORBX Global, FS Global, Vector, OpenLC, Airbus A218,320

Claude Desrosiers

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

Claude, please open a trouble ticket at PMDG Product Support and start chipping away on that list of problem.

I can't speak for PMDG or the rest of the beta testers, but I avoided Windows 8.1 like the measles due to the pile of complaints in numerous forums. That doesn't help you.. sorry but you will get help from PMDG. The support forum is your direct communication with them, the forum is communicating with other users. Good luck.

Dan Downs KCRP

You may want to search out problems with Windows 8.1 and dropping controllers...many problems with controllers "losing themselves" in that version of Windows.  It's not PMDG's fault.

Devin Pollock
CYOW

BetaTeamB.png

The controler never lost itself in windows because I disable all the power management. This is an FSX/PDMG issue.

Even if you do all that the controller will still disconnect. I have the saitek yoke, rudder and throttle and its the same way for me. I use fsuipc to set up my controllers and even if it disc from fsx its still works with fsuipc

Pierre Walker

Windows 8.1

Minimum

OS: Windows 7 64-bit (older OSes such as Windows XP, 32-bit OSes, and Windows 8 may work, but we cannot guarantee compatibility or support)

Windows 8.1 is not a supported Operating System. While I understand you may be frustrated that the 777 doesn't work, it's noted right on the product page that it's not officially supported, which essentially means you're attempting it at your own risk.

Moreover, the Win 8 controller issues are pretty well known in the community, as Dan mentioned. I'm sure if you run a google search you'll find more than a few people who have had the issue, along with a couple potential solutions.

Sorry I can't be of more support, but we made it known on the product page. I don't think you can blame us on this one. If it were Win 7, it would be a completely different story.

Kyle Rodgers

Where's my post?

It got hidden. Signatures. Now. No more Mr. Nice Guy on this.

Kyle Rodgers

Minimum

OS: Windows 7 64-bit (older OSes such as Windows XP, 32-bit OSes, and Windows 8 may work, but we cannot guarantee compatibility or support)

Windows 8.1 is not a supported Operating System. While I understand you may be frustrated that the 777 doesn't work, it's noted right on the product page that it's not officially supported, which essentially means you're attempting it at your own risk.

Moreover, the Win 8 controller issues are pretty well known in the community, as Dan mentioned. I'm sure if you run a google search you'll find more than a few people who have had the issue, along with a couple potential solutions.

Sorry I can't be of more support, but we made it known on the product page. I don't think you can blame us on this one. If it were Win 7, it would be a completely different story.

The rest of the world is on Windows 8.1 and I did solve my controller issue. It kinda not very consumer friendly to not even attempt to help me. I managed to resolve the problem on my own. FSX:SE doe not install the older version of simconnect on a fresh install. Now  I am back with my Saitek X52 controller issue. At least I know the culprit now.

Thanks for not helping me. I will remember next time around not to buy anothe PMDG product.

Claude Desrosiers

Note : for anyone having this issue. I have found a resolution. I had to uninstall all previous version of SimConnect and only install the version of Simconnect that is located in the FSX-XPACK subfolders.  I wish PMDG would have step and at least point in the right direction instead of hiding before the corporate stance. I will think hard before buying your product again. Hopefullly, my tribulation will help other Win 8.1 users

The rest of the world is on Windows 8.1 and I did solve my controller issue. It kinda not very consumer friendly to not even attempt to help me. I managed to resolve the problem on my own. FSX:SE doe not install the older version of simconnect on a fresh install. Now  I am back with my Saitek X52 controller issue. At least I know the culprit now.

Thanks for not helping me. I will remember next time around not to buy anothe PMDG product.

Claude Desrosiers

Note : for anyone having this issue. I have found a resolution. I had to uninstall all previous version of SimConnect and only install the version of Simconnect that is located in the FSX-XPACK subfolders.  I wish PMDG would have step and at least point in the right direction instead of hiding before the corporate stance. I will think hard before buying your product again. Hopefullly, my tribulation will help other Win 8.1 users

Great for finding the problem. Btw the "rest of the world" is not using Windows 8.1. If I were to guess, I would say most are still using a combination of XP and Windows 7.

Sweeping blanket statements aside, the first response gave you the best help you can get; opening up a ticket in the PMDG support portal, aka not the forums. If you chose not to do that and also chose to buy and use a product on an unsupported OS, that's your own choice and not controllable by the company that made the product.

But, to each their own opinion I guess.

Great for finding the problem. Btw the "rest of the world" is not using Windows 8.1. If I were to guess, I would say most are still using a combination of XP and Windows 7.

Sweeping blanket statements aside, the first response gave you the best help you can get; opening up a ticket in the PMDG support portal, aka not the forums. If you chose not to do that and also chose to buy and use a product on an unsupported OS, that's your own choice and not controllable by the company that made the product.

But, to each their own opinion I guess.

I guess you can blame Dovetail Games because none of their simconnect version actually works properly, I had to dig the version that was with my P3D installation. That one seems to work in Windows 8.1. I am pretty tech savy guys. I knew that it wasn't Win 8.1 per say.  I did a fresh install this morning so I can figure out exactly the source of this problem. I am dissapointed with Kyle response as a representative of PMDG. I am not mad at him but their corporate policy.

Claude Desrosiers

I am dissapointed with Kyle response as a representative of PMDG. I am not mad at him but their corporate policy.

FSX wasn't made for Win 8. Heck, it wasn't even made for Win 7. Regardless, we made no guarantees that it would work in Win 8, so we can't really be held to the fire for it not working in an operating system it wasn't designed for. That's honestly pretty standard for the industry. Programs have OS requirements. If you're using it in another OS, it's at your own risk. That's not unique to this situation at all.

Kyle Rodgers

Guys relax, FSX works fine in Windows 8.1. I have FSX:MS, FSX:SE and P3D all installed with the 777 with no problem what so ever

Pierre Walker

I am dissapointed with Kyle response as a representative of PMDG...

The stuff you mentioned about simconnect doesn't make sense. Perhaps you have some software that utilises simconnect incorrectly, or maybe there's some other obscure problem with your PC leading you to your conclusion. It's good to hear you've sorted out your system, but it's quite unfair to blame PMDG or expect PMDG or Kyle to be able to help with that, and we are extremely fortunate to have Kyle around.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Guys relax, FSX works fine in Windows 8.1. I have FSX:MS, FSX:SE and P3D all installed with the 777 with no problem what so ever

It well may  work on your pc  where as on others  that have win 8  may not work as advertised

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

The stuff you mentioned about simconnect doesn't make sense. Perhaps you have some software that utilises simconnect incorrectly, or maybe there's some other obscure problem with your PC leading you to your conclusion. It's good to hear you've sorted out your system, but it's quite unfair to blame PMDG or expect PMDG or Kyle to be able to help with that, and we are extremely fortunate to have Kyle around.

It is an 100% related to simconnect libraries and Win 8.1 I wiped my PC and install a fresh windows copy. If I don't install any of the simconnect libraries, The plane load but none of the buttons and screen works. I think this is how PMDG interact with the flightsim. If I install the latest simconnect library from the FSX:SE edition, I get the button and screen back but the second I lose focus on the FSX windows, I lose my controller in FSX. This is an FSX/Simconnect issue. In the meantime, my controller is an 100% working in windows at all times. It's not power management or any other crap like this. I spent over 12 hours troubleshooting and doing many test. I was able to repeat this process multiple time and this is how I came to this conclusion.  

I bought the game based on everyone loving praise about PMDG product and I never even cross my mind that It wasn't windows 8 compatible. Now I am 153 canadian dollars in the hole for a product that I can't really use properly.