Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

If you are having trouble with FSX:SE install:

Robert, I'm not even getting as far as most folk. My setup:-

FSX installed then FSX-SE added, both are on my system. Initially both were on the same hard drive but I was having trouble adding payware airports which others did easily. At the advice of their support I uninstalled Steam and re-installed to a different HD and could then install the airports. That is the current position.

So, I downloaded a few hours ago (5pm UK time), both 777 installers. When I ran the 200 base package I didn't get a choice of FSX or FSX-SE, it just gave me options to repair, modify or uninstall. It obviously could not see FSX-SE.

I'll leave that in your capable hands and await your response! Thanks.

Iain Smith

In regedit it says

Default         (value not set)

AppPath         E\FSX-SE\steamapps\common\FSX

ZORAN

Gents-

A couple of folks jumping into this thread with unrelated problems.  I am going to ignore you because I am focused specifically on the issue about which I asked at the top of this thread... 

Okay- for the others:  We have found an install condition we didn't anticipate during testing- so I have coded a change to the installer and we are testing.  Unfortunately- that lead us to discover yet another poor design decision by the "development team" at DTG.  (I'm putting that in quotes because these folks seem not to be the best and brightest...  they lack of forward thinking is so poor as to be stunning...)

The bottom line is that FSX:SE has a number of different configurations that it might use to install itself- and since we have to make file modifications in a number of places throughout your FSX installation it is important that our installers be able to predict and find the various files involved.

Since Dovetail thought that a dynamic system was the way to go- we are having to figure out all the various possible iterations that FSX:SE might come up with- and code accordingly...

I'm still testing an updated solution- and will let you know once we make it live for you....  Sorry for the inconvenience- but this is precisely why we have so little confidence in the competence of DTG.

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

I did a fresh new install of Windows 8.1, FSX:SE and PMDG. I got my Saitek X52 issue fix but now , not only I am only seeing the 777-200R but when I load it, None of the panel works.

Claude Desrosiers

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

Today, I decided to uninstall FSX and FSX:SE. Once I had done that, I restarted my computer and used Ccleaner to clean out computer and registry. Once I did that, I install FSX:SE. The PMDG 777 can't seem to find my FSX install, and when I look in my registry, under the AppPath, I see it linked to where the install is.

Avery Black

Hello,

Fresh copy of windows 7 x64

Never installed FSX, installed FSX-SE. FSX-SE the only remaining sim.

Alin FUSARU

3) Never had FSX installed.  Installed FSX:SE.  FSX:SE remains the only installed sim

Hey Robert,

• I'm in option 3 land.  Put in a ticket, but wanted to report here.
  • New laptop (finally!)
  • Win 8.1 (I know, not supported but don't think its the issue, pretty sure its Steam.)
  • Steam didn't give me an option where to install it...went to program files(x86)/Steam, yadda yadda
  • Getting the dreaded no gear or displays.

Need to get it working so I can get some paints done on the 777 before the 747 is released which we all know is right around the corner!  :Praying:   I have many paints planned for the Queen!

Thanks for your hard work to get this update to us!

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

Gents-

Okay- we think we have a handle one what is happening.

For reasons known only to the folks at Dovetail- they elected to use a dynamic combination of registry keys and config file locations.

You can wind up with a number of different locations and keys, depending upon whether you have FSX installed at the time you install SE... or whether you EVER had FSX installed, or whether you have never had FSX installed.

To put a point on it:  They have demonstrated quite clearly that they haven't a clue how important it is to complex addons to be able to predict with accuracy the layout of the FSX installation.

At any rate- I am in the process of building and doing some final iteration testing on the changes we made that we think will solve the problem for most of you.

Not how we intended to spend our weekend- but... 

I'll post a bit more information once we have the new installer live for you.

I just tested the PMDG link again , downloaded and launched the installer and it installed into FSX-SE no problems this time, so either the link has been updated or I am now added to the list of true believers of the almighty Placebo.

ZORAN

Zoran-

Excellent news!

You got the latest installer I put up a few hours ago- so it seems we solved the problem you were having...   Thank you for letting me know!

Nice to hear those engines roar to life in the new Sim. Thanks for the exceptional Support

ZORAN

Robert I'm reporting my current situation with your latest installer of 835,034 KB which is the latest I believe.

1. Have FSX in D:\FSX

2. installed SE into D:\fsx-SE

3. checked both registry keys are pointing to the right directories

4. run the installer, I was only given options to repair/remove

5. click repair, said cannot repair advised to uninstall

6. run uninstall

7. run installer again, now I've got 2 options to install both in FSX and FSX-SE, ticked by default

8. SUCCESS in both versions :lol:

However, needs to update AIRAC as it was put back to Sep 13. Also checked with Operation Centre,

asked me to repair the liveries in FSX version. However no livery manager in SE version, I guess this will come LATER, right?

So many thanks for making this available to SE for free, much appreciated!

BTW, my system is an MSI GE60 notebook running Windows 8.1 the T7 was running like a charm.

Francis Leung

YMML

Zoran-

Excellent news!

You got the latest installer I put up a few hours ago- so it seems we solved the problem you were having...   Thank you for letting me know!

Hey Robert -

I'm also pleased to report that the new installer solved my issue (not finding the FSX-SE.cfg). 

Thanks for working this weekend to get it fixed. 

Edit: May have spoken too soon... it looks like the -300ER expansion isn't installing now. I'm using the latest installer downloaded this morning. 

Here's a screenshot of the install error I'm getting. 

I have a very basic question.   Is upgrading from FSX to FSX:SE worth it? After looking as Youtube videos and reading up on this - I am a bit confused (I never heard of FSX:SE until a few days ago).,  I see the major difference id with multi-play.  If I don't use multi-play in FSX, it is worth upgrading - and I am not talking about money - Does FSX:SE offer better graphics? frame rates? I still don't see the advantage.

Paul Gugliotta

Gents-

A couple of folks jumping into this thread with unrelated problems.  I am going to ignore you because I am focused specifically on the issue about which I asked at the top of this thread... 

Okay- for the others:  We have found an install condition we didn't anticipate during testing- so I have coded a change to the installer and we are testing.  Unfortunately- that lead us to discover yet another poor design decision by the "development team" at DTG.  (I'm putting that in quotes because these folks seem not to be the best and brightest...  they lack of forward thinking is so poor as to be stunning...)

The bottom line is that FSX:SE has a number of different configurations that it might use to install itself- and since we have to make file modifications in a number of places throughout your FSX installation it is important that our installers be able to predict and find the various files involved.

Since Dovetail thought that a dynamic system was the way to go- we are having to figure out all the various possible iterations that FSX:SE might come up with- and code accordingly...

I'm still testing an updated solution- and will let you know once we make it live for you....  Sorry for the inconvenience- but this is precisely why we have so little confidence in the competence of DTG.

My regedit says

Flight simulator ES (NOT APP PATH)

Co-existence

First time

Language

Flight simulator

Simconnect Port IP4

Simconnect Port IPv6

everything is fine but I cant install livery

Thanks

Pedro