Sign in to follow this  
ianf

Downloading and Installing FSX-SE

Never purchased anything from Steam before, however considering purchasing FSX-SE after all the good reports it is receiving.

Can anyone tell me if I make a purchase can I download the full install files (and save a copy for future install) or do I need to connect to Steam and install 'online'?

Can anyone also advise what the size of the download is?

Thanks

Ian

Ian Friend

MOBO: Asus P8P67-LE P67 (B3) | CPU: Intel i5 2500K O/C 4.5Ghz | Corsair Hydro H100i CPU Cooler | RAM: Kingston Hyperx 8GB 1600 MHz
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 | HDD1: Kingston HyperX 240GB SSD | HDD2: WD6400AAKS 640GB | OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

It's 11Gb and there's an option to backup the files for future install without downloading. I'm not sure if that backup option works properly.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

As I try to catch up with all the happenings and news here in this Forum after being away Down Under since November, what exactly are the benefits of having FSX-SE over the standard FSX?

Steve,

Thanks for the info.

Rick,

FSX-SE basically functions exactly the same as FSX-MS (Original Microsoft release) except FSX-SE has been re-released by Dovetail games (believe Microsoft has sold the entertainment license to DT games) on Steam. Dovetail games have recompiled the code and tweaked it for better performance, also started to address a few bugs. They intend to keep working on this so it sounds promising. So far the majority of people are reporting higher frame rates and smother graphics.

Ian Friend

MOBO: Asus P8P67-LE P67 (B3) | CPU: Intel i5 2500K O/C 4.5Ghz | Corsair Hydro H100i CPU Cooler | RAM: Kingston Hyperx 8GB 1600 MHz
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 | HDD1: Kingston HyperX 240GB SSD | HDD2: WD6400AAKS 640GB | OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Hi Ian

I was aware of Dovetail Games acquiring FSX-MS from Microsoft, but had not really delved much into the whys and wherefores, and at the time did not think I'd be the remotest interested in it, but seeing your post perked up my interest. Thanks for explaining further. Next question, is, how much does it cost to buy SE from Dovetail?

I'm not sure if that backup option works properly.

Steve,

I've been used the backup/restore feature for Steam games for the past 2 or 3 years without issues.

Ian,

Not only do I have smoother frame rates with FSX-SE, but I've yet to have an OOM with FSX-SE, even flying my PMDG 747s, having numerous MegaSceneryEarth sceneries enabled, and departing from/landing on add-on airports (e.g. FSDreamTeam) - which was a sure fire way to cause an OOM with the boxed edition.

Regards,

Stevan

Hello Diego

Thanks for that. Just bought it for £19.99. $5??? Ah, well, that's the name of the game when (a)one sits on the fence, and ( B) when one is on the other side of the world without the computer.

You win some, you lose some.

I only hope it is a tad better than the original.

One question, how do I install the FSX-MS aircraft into FSX-SE?

but I've yet to have an OOM with FSX-SE, even flying my PMDG 747s, having numerous MegaSceneryEarth sceneries enabled, and departing from/landing on add-on airports (e.g. FSDreamTeam) - which was a sure fire way to cause an OOM with the boxed edition.

Stevan

I have all the full range of PMDG aircraft. How do I install these in the newly-bought FSX-SE? I hope you can advise as the default aircraft that come with Steam is not my cup of tea.

See this post for the current status of PMDG aircraft:  http://forum.avsim.net/topic/460570-24jan15-fsxse-compatibility-and-other-juicy-news/

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Thanks for that Doug. I have those latest full installers and have run them. My question is, despite my PMDG OC showing that I have that latest version SP1d and 777 for SE is installed, how do I get it to run in Steam or how do I get Steam to locate it and run it?

i think u just can wait for FSX SE purchase, maybe until at least many addon support, steam always have sale, winter sale summer sale, maybe can wait and get a good bargain, unless you current FSX give to much problem until urgently need to change. as for me, FSX SE dont give much fps increase but smooth experience.

Muhamad Aliff

One question, how do I install the FSX-MS aircraft into FSX-SE?

If you do not have the disk version of FSX installed, then FSX:SE will use the exact same filenames and paths, and more importantly the same Registry settings as FSX:MS (disk).

In that case installers will find and install precisely the same way they always have.

The only time this will not work is if you have FSX:MS already installed and now install FSX:SE. In this scenario the filenames, paths and Registry entries are different, so installers will only "see" FSX:MS, making installation difficult, if not impossible.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Just as Fr..Bill says - I did a clean installation of Windows and then installed FSX-SE ONLY (I was having other issues with my PC so decided this was a good time to start afresh). I then installed PMDGs 747 and MD-11 - those were straight-forward installations. I do not own the 777 (yet) and am holding off on installing the 737NGX until PMDG has the FSX-SE installers ready.

Thanks for those replies, Fr Bill and Stevan.

I already had FSX-MS Gold installed from disks; I just downloaded FSX-SE and installed it on top/side-by-side, so as you point out Fr. Bill, I see where the issues lay. But if PMDG have released fresh installers for both FSX-MS+SE, why does the 777-200LR/F show up in SE minus undercarriage, in a C&D state and just remains frozen, i.e. cannot even switch the BATT on?

I'm flummoxed!