Sign in to follow this  
JD-Slow-Thumbs

Beginner Seeking Fun Canyons / Valleys

Hi, I recently tried flying through a canyon in my plane, and thought that it was good fun and a good way to learn how to maneuver the plane. Surely I am not the first one to think of this :smile: ... so now I am looking for more canyons / valleys to practice maneuvering in.

Nice to have:

Airport nearby to take-off from,

Highway or River to follow,

“V” shaped instead of “U” shaped,

Easy-wide, and moderate, (it will be a while before I get to the narrow-hard ones).

The only one that I have tried so far is Interstate-5 north from KVNY through the Newhall pass (starting at the I-5 and CA-14 split) using a Cessna-172 and a Lancair-Legacy.

Thanks in advance

JD

You sure arent the only one. I love to do this in the Grand Canyon, using fighters. At the bottom it's quite narrow, but with a the speeds of a Cessna or Langcair, it shouldnt be too hard. The fighters I use go over 300kts in there. And there's a river to follow.

http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/12-ozx-grand-canyon-and-kgcn-holgermesh/

Cheers!

Maarten

Innsbruck and Queenstown are good ones, especially if you are using ORBX scenery

Matthew Kane

Go to the mother of all canyos... The Grand Canyon!

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

Try the Fraser River valley in British Columbia, Canada. Depart from Abbotsford airport and head west to catch the river, then follow it north. Some fantastic and challenging flying. Here's a run I did in the MilViz F-86 a while back:

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

I always like the Columbia River, starting at Spokane KGEG and flying north to Revelstoke CYRV.

scott s.