Sign in to follow this  
KenG

Primus 300 Weather Radar

I was wondering if others are seeing the same thing I am with the weather radar.

The weather radar does seem to work. However, it works regardless of the power on setting on the radar control panel. i.e. the radar can be off and it still displays on the EHSI or MFD.

Changing the gain has no effect on the radar.

You can paint terrain with the radar, but it seems to use the same terrain info that the TAWS uses. i.e. there is no ground clutter just start to pick up the peaks of mountains. Tilt down and no matter it will not paint a valley in mountainous terrain.

The radar will only paint weather within a few thousand feet of your altitude. Tilt up to paint a towering CB and the scope goes dark. Paint down to descent into weather below and it skips the weather and starts to paint the terrain.I cannot walk in the ground clutter and look for cells when painting on descent.

The good news is it seems when you do pick up weather at your altitude it is legit. Painted amber cells being injected by REX and when I flew through them REX also gave me the correct turbulence.

Thank you,

Before I had the GTN 750, I also had this problem.

I assume then the GTN 750 has its own built in WX Radar?

Interesting that the MFD would mess up the WX radar that much.

Seems SP1 may have fixed WX radar, anyone else seeing similar?