Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

I find myself coming back to FS9 for performance, more and more...

I still get great visuals, and where ever I set the FPS, it stays there....with no fluctuation.  

Just leaving CYVR (Vancouver Intl, bound for CYYZ (Toronto Pearson)...and honestly, I think the REX for FS9 clouds are just as good as anything the SOFT CLOUDS products is putting out.  Really....

I also think that they got it right, all those years since FS9 has RTM, and even with today's modest system specs....you are going to have a gold experience.  You wanna take off, sans a slide-show? Done.  You wanna shoot a fabulous and smooth approach? Done...and no more dropping hundreds of dollars chasing a few more FPS upon other platforms.   Anything at, or above a GTX 200 series nVidia card will take you there. If your interest is flying, and not merely chasing a rubber-neck virtual environment, you don't have to fly anything else....  Just my thoughts.  I guess that I am getting tired of chasing the dead-smooth ROCK SOLID, no wavering FPS experience in other sims.  I dunno...the four pictures below looks dang good to me, this morning, and of course, my system spec's eat FS9 for Sunday breakfast...... ^_^

Good morning, all!

Ses

---------------------------------

I put forth a question, the four picture links below, to visually show my point, again, honestly....how bad is this, and how much does this hurt the eyes?  The answer, at least for myself....not at all! The old girl certainly, can keep up and offer the user a great performance, and visual experience STILL!

1   http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/Eus

2   http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/Euw

3   http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/Euz

4   http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/Eu4

Post Edit:  "...am now at FL310, and am watching out the right external wing view of a spectacular sunrise east of Vancouver, Canada.  I am particularly, watching the dead-smooth progression of terrain movement over the Rockies, and the intake first stage fan blade animations of the right engine.  Not one stutter, minor, major, nothing.  The screen animation is virtually, real life in depiction. The fan blades, have no flicker, pause, and match the sound envelope (I have custom) for the big CM's....  Folks, I'm not saying here, that any other sim, is a dog...no...for I have them all, and use them all. Just saying that I can probably fully guarantee, that anybody that takes my flight path today, on any two or three year old system, will get the same visual screen animation output, and also, honestly, the ground as viewed from any FLXXX in any other sim, goes low rez with detail beyond what FS9 can put out for its release date...as simply, and totally comparable.  I still think that no other sim, yet produced, can give you a Big Iron experience, such as FS9 with added custom planes, cockpits, add-on scenery packs...the whole deal, that you would do for FSX.x, P3D.x XP.x....as second thought, and would not produce a much more 'premium' experience,'better' than FS9 in the cockpit, and viewing out the windows at the FL's.

Not preaching here, this morning, just sharing what I am thinking this moment, as my flight progresses over the Rockies... 

Folks, I use them all, but still would not, and will not EVER remove this fine old girl, from my flight simulation computer system. Never! She has earned her place of honor...and will always keep it...

Mitch

An Airtran Airbus, I love it.  You are so correct.  Every month or so, I fire up FSX just to see what I am missing, and every month I find nothing.  Yes, there are some nice sceneries made only for FSX, but not enough to make me want to switch over.  I love my FS9!  Great pics by the way!

System: P3D v5.3HF2 , Intel i9-9900K o/c to 5.1Ghz, Nvidia ASUSGeForce RTX RTX 3090 24GB,  MPG Z390 Gamng Edge mobo, 64Gb G.Skill DDR4 3600Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit

An Airtran Airbus, I love it.  You are so correct.  Every month or so, I fire up FSX just to see what I am missing, and every month I find nothing.  Yes, there are some nice sceneries made only for FSX, but not enough to make me want to switch over.  I love my FS9!  Great pics by the way!

Thanks...I'm about 120 miles east of CYVR...at FL310...and Deltaguy...the view with this REX for 2004 and Active Sky Evolution feeding it in FS9 mode, is drop-dead gorgeous.  It's giving me such a great feeling inside. This is why I do this...it's my portal to the dream....

At cruise altitude (FL310..heading towards Ontario)

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/Euc

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/Eue

Salute!

Mitch

FSX is a move forward in graphics, but only at the cost of a smoothly running simulator. I still prefer FS9 even though I have a computer that runs FSX fairly well.

I'm much the same way and find myself in FS9 much more than in FSX. I built my system in preparation for the release of FSX and found myself disappointed when the time came. Don't get me wrong, FSX has some very nice features and I do use it some, but not as much as FS9.

I bought Active Sky Next and Rex Texture Direct when I started getting back into FS and they're great, but I'm wishing I had spent my money on Active Sky Evolution and Rex for FS9 instead. I'm currently using Active Sky 6.5 for FS9 and GE Pro.

Ken

FSX is a move forward in graphics, but only at the cost of a smoothly running simulator. I still prefer FS9 even though I have a computer that runs FSX fairly well.

Yes, I say that you pretty well hit it right on the nail head.  Well stated...  

FSX and P3D are great sims...but yes..I agree...even with my spec's...at a cost.

My flight to Toronto was so very much a satisfying experience.  I will never get this ultra-smooth and so life-like animation performance from any other sim than this one.  It's just the way it is...and I accept that now.

Cheers,

Mitch

but I'm wishing I had spent my money on Active Sky Evolution and Rex for FS9 instead. I'm currently using Active Sky 6.5 for FS9 and GE Pro.

----------------------------------------------------------

Ken, truly, it is really money well spent, if you get ASE (that has the two modes: FS9/FSX and also REX for 2004 (FS9).  Truly, you will love the result.  All these shots today, and the couple I sent to the Screen Shot Forum (of this flight in progress) have all of this running.  It totally rivals anything to be seen in P3D or FSX.x  Truly. The sunrises and sunsets with REX for 2004 (FS9) are even better...I dare say...than the REX sets for either P3D or FSX.x  Vibrant...alive...and the color splashing across the sky and clouds.  In a word, fantastic!

What you see below my plane...is GE Pro.

Mitch

The one reason why I just can't leave FSX, is because of the advances with addon technology, that FS9 can't support. I just wish the addons were able to run on FS9, because I'd go back in a heartbeat. So much more reliable and stable.

-Chris Crawford

-ATP/MEL

- B737 / B777 / B-727 / EMB-145 / LR-JET

The one reason why I just can't leave FSX, is because of the advances with addon technology, that FS9 can't support. I just wish the addons were able to run on FS9, because I'd go back in a heartbeat. So much more reliable and stable.

Yes..good point...that there are meet's-needs.  For myself, the absolute rock-solid frame rates, no stutters of any kind, the best animation sequences of any sim represented upon AVSIM, and the fact that it is totally in there with you..and reliable, no matter if a real-time flight is 14 hours long. The fact that I can run 100 percent on the A.I. sliders...and enjoy a truly impacted flight line upon the ground, and in the air...is stellar.  I feel that FSX and P3D didn't really pass the FS9 'canoe'..and leave it in their wakes...so far behind, that you could not still see it.  Now, not in 2015 retrospect. The two mentioned sims have issues. They have LOTS of issues.  FS9, has perhaps the only 'weakness',  in being 'long in the tooth'.  But for the pure enjoyment (and movement) of flight, the handling of the physics...having a custom cockpit that takes no FPS hit...or the air-frame that goes along with it...animations, in and out...just wonderful, and makes FS9, 'Rocky' of the FS world.  I had a stellar 4 1/2 hour flight today, from the numbers, to the numbers...and not once...not once, did I harbor a concern...that the simulation, would crash in flames upon the Desktop, before I taxied to the gate at CYYZ.   THAT...is priceless.......that....is solid.......

Admiration....

Ses 

It's not just the big iron that I continue to use fs9. I've found with EVO, and OSM for Europe, my low flying GA flights are every bit as enjoyable as my FSX. In fact, with GePro or EVO now, I found it far better.

The money I'd have to spend on scenery add-ons to get a improvement over fs9 wouldn't be worth it because my performance would also drop. It's just not worth it in my eyes.

EVO is interesting me.....

Mitch waxing lyrical again.   :lol:

On the topic of REX clouds and their new Soft Clouds replacement textures which have received warm endorsement by FSX and P3D users,  I disagree.  Emperor's new clothes.

Compare the above screenshots with mine below:

SoftClouds.jpgThis was taken using FS9 default, yes default, clouds.  AS6.5 and TH2GO.  

Which looks 'softer' and more realistic?

Sometimes we simmers confuse 'different' with 'better.'  And perhaps gullible enough to actually pay for that difference.    :rolleyes:

That's what I love about FS9. My current PC rig runs it very well even on triple monitors and it still looks good. My only thing is i wish there was better airbus addons and the PMDG 777 for it. Don't get me wrong, the PSS 777 is great but it needs some updates. Wilco airbus series is good but I'm looking for more with it and at this point Aerosoft airbus delivers but it's for FSX only.

I'm getting tax money back and I'm trying to decide whether to spend more money on PC upgrades just so I can run FSX with 30+ frame rates and fly the aforementioned aircrafts or concentrate on getting hardware for my current home cockpit.

Mitch waxing lyrical again.

----------------------------------------------------

Just put what I was thinking, to print...das all. (smile).  Have done that in the past, when the mood struck me (as it did yesterday), lol...and most likely will continue into the future... ^_^

Lol ah ok I've heard of it. I wonder if I can still install it. I currently have UT USA and Europe, FS scene it, REX installed.