Sign in to follow this  
shivers9

Prepar3D-ORBX warning that there are quite a few bugs to fix in Ver 2.5

Understand there are things you can't discuss, but with the relocation of files, will some addons be broken? If so, will there be a temporary workaround?

V2.5 will not have a patch, so a new install will be required.  So the process will be:

1.  Uninstall  your existing v2.4

2.  Make sure the 5 key directories are completely gone 

3.  Install v2.5

4.  Wait for those 3rd party products that are bound to versions to provide updates - my hunch is most will have updates ready to roll on release day or close to release day (with my testing so far this will be Orbx, FSDT/Virtuali, FSUIPC, ASN, FSGRW) ... OpusFSI works "as is" but I'm experiencing huge FPS drops using it so my assumption is some work from OpusFSI there.

There are of course other ways to do this, but they will be very involved and given the issues from my last patch procedures I'm going to avoid providing that information ... too much to ask of end users.

In the past 3rd party have been very responsive ... hopefully that continues.

Cheers, Rob.

V2.5 will not have a patch, so a new install will be required.  So the process will be:

1.  Uninstall  your existing v2.4

2.  Make sure the 5 key directories are completely gone 

3.  Install v2.5

4.  Wait for those 3rd party products that are bound to versions to provide updates - my hunch is most will have updates ready to roll on release day or close to release day (with my testing so far this will be Orbx, FSDT/Virtuali, FSUIPC, ASN, FSGRW) ... OpusFSI works "as is" but I'm experiencing huge FPS drops using it so my assumption is some work from OpusFSI there.

There are of course other ways to do this, but they will be very involved and given the issues from my last patch procedures I'm going to avoid providing that information ... too much to ask of end users.

In the past 3rd party have been very responsive ... hopefully that continues.

Cheers, Rob.

Thanks for this. I reinstalled my operating system and P3D so that when 2.5 arrives, I can roll my system back to a time where it is ready for the sim, but nothing is installed except controller drivers. Will still be a bit of work, but will be predictable.

IF V2.5 would NOT have a patch..its a no go for me.. There is no way I am going to spend so much time and effort to reinstall everything...

Hmmm.... unless its 64 bit then I' am prepared to get a new PC.  :lol:

That reminds me..when PMDG releases their stuff for P3D I hope they won't insist on 2.5. Sigh!

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

PMDG releases their stuff for P3D I hope they won't insist on 2.5.

I have no idea how PMDG will work with new P3D version releases ... I did ask PMDG and got no response.  I do know that LM aren' t going to stop evolving P3D and there will be more versions ... no idea if those versions will have patches or not ... but from what I can sense is LM are re-structuring now so as to have a easier way to patch and more long term flexibility.

So it is possible the v2.5 no patch requirement may just be one off specific to v2.5.

But growth and change is what P3D is about, it's not for everyone and I'll bet many that say "no go" will eventually be back.  I've tried FSX:SE and was not impressed at all ... just no way I could go back, sorry but FSX:SE just seems flat and lifeless compared to P3D.  I'll endure the P3D growth path and I've got my environment well sorted/documented enough so that moving forward with versions isn't that painful.  Worse case for me is 4-8 hours tops and I have A LOT of 3rd party ... 4-8 hours of work for the 100's or even 1000's of hours of usage is a trade-off I can live with.

Cheers, Rob.

I have no idea how PMDG will work with new P3D version releases ... I did ask PMDG and got no response.  I do know that LM aren' t going to stop evolving P3D and there will be more versions ... no idea if those versions will have patches or not ... but from what I can sense it LM are re-structuring now so as to have a easier way to patch.

So it is possible the v2.5 no patch requirement may just be one off specific to v2.5.

But growth and change is what P3D is about, it's not for everyone and I'll bet many that say "no go" will eventually be back.  I've tried FSX:SE and was not impressed at all ... just no way I could go back, sorry but FSX:SE just seems flat and lifeless compared to P3D.  I'll endure the P3D growth path and I've got my environment well sorted/documented enough so that moving forward with versions isn't that painful.  Worse case for me is 4-8 hours tops and I have A LOT of 3rd party ... 4-8 hours of work for the 100's or even 1000's of hours of usage is a trade-off I can live with.

Cheers, Rob.

Excellent Post Rob, - I 100% agree with LM decision to restructure P3D (it is a new sim after all).  I hate the FSX legacy baggage, people have FSX-SE now, if they want to stick to the original layout.

This new restructure is what is getting me all excited, I hate when programs mess all the files inside the root directory - it creates management hell.  Addons should be in separate location, and on the long run.  This makes the update path super easy, and it helps pinpoint where the bugs are (whether it is caused by addons or base SIM). 

Can't wait for this release.

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

@Rob,

I can't find the quote from LM but I'm pretty sure the Adam Breed said that these changes to 2.5 were done to assure effective future patching. Whether there will be a version 2.6 or even a patch upgrade route, though is still unknown outside of LM.

But growth and change is what P3D is about

I completely agree Rob.  Thanks again for all your hard work in improving our future with P3D.

Ryan

I can't find the quote from LM but I'm pretty sure the Adam Breed said that these changes to 2.5 were done to assure effective future patching.

I believe your are correct, it's the start of restructuring and long overdue IMHO.  The goal is to ultimately provide more flexibility for LM and 3rd party.  As you know, there are many products that overlap and can and do step on each other ... I think LM's vision here is to allow competing products to co-exist in a much cleaner path structure with more flexibility.  That's my take on it.

Cheers, Rob.

I do know that LM aren' t going to stop evolving P3D and there will be more versions ...

Does that apply to 2.x or future major versions?

Is it true that scenery loads faster with the new file structure?

Jim Driscoll, MSI Raider GE76 12UHS-607 17.3" Gaming Laptop Computer - Blue Intel Core i9 12th Gen 12900HK 1.8GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 16GB GDDR6; 64GB DDR5-4800 RAM; Dual M2 2TB Solid State Drives.Driving a Sony KD-50X75, and KDL-48R470B @ 4k 3724x2094,MSFS 2020, 30 FPS on Ultra Settings.

Jorg/Asobo: “Weather is a core part of our simulator, and we will strive to make it as accurate as possible.”Also Jorg/Asobo: “We are going to limit the weather API to rain intensity only.”

The thread is named wrong: bugs in v2.5 Of course there can be some bugs in the sim, but what is meant here is that the folder structure of p3d has changed and therefore some addons won't install. This is not a bug, it means "a different sim".