Sign in to follow this  
ammarmalhas

What gaming rig will get P3D to give out 40 FPS with Ultra High (Extreme) settings?

Nothing changed, I am running both trying to see which one flies smoother. So far both are producing bad fps though FSX is about %10-%20 smoother (more fps).

I mentioned FSX since many more people are experienced with it and most all documentations and tweaks and discussions are about FSX.

Which ever I can get running with fps above 20 i will stick to :-)

But you said it was a problem with how the code is written?  So in order to make that statement you would need to provide a code sample showing what exactly is being poorly written and why.  

FPS, 32bit, no SLI is proof of nothing other than ignorance ... hopefully others would not follow such poor logic and make those types of assumptions.

I realize you're just trolling, but I have seen statements like this before and they are just unsubstantiated and provide no real evidence of poorly written code.  

I feel the need to defend myself here. First of all it wasn't my intention to troll and sorry if it came across that way and sorry if I offended anyone with my post. The two day ban certainly made me think about everything.

32 bit architure can only utilise 4gb of RAM so this is going to have an impact on overall performance.

Not supporting SLI/Crossfire will also impact performance. It's not uncommon to get double fps rates on a dual card setup. I'm not saying we'll see that in FSX/P3D as it appears to be heavily CPU bound, but it would help nontheless.

I admit, the rest is speculation until we can see the code. As far as I'm concerned is though, the proof is in the pudding. And I think by posting a video showing how the CPU is utilised, you would agree looking at the code is not always needed to draw a conclusion.

Thank you.

Can you provide me with settings for the AMD Radeon, I od not have nVidia.

Thank you

Hi Ammarmalhas,

i'm not an expert, but I've messed a lot with P3d tweaks in the last few days. The first day i tryed FSX-like tweaks and i got so frustrated (too many blurries and i was unable to defeat them increasing FFTF and TextureMaxLoad=60)  that i uninstalled it.

Now i think i have understood how it works (more or less!), and i have an AMD Card (R9 270x), so i think i could give some advices (P3d V2.4):

1) GPU- TESSELATION on in Graphics and ULTRA in Scenery panel. THIS is a HUGE improvement over FSX!)

2) FXAA=OFF (actually not working like it was meant to be...), VSYNC OFF, MXAA and Ansio are overrided by CCC (see below) All the other setting are maxed except AUTOGEN (Normal), WATER=medium, shadows medium (land disabled) and TRAFFIC disabled.

3) in ATI CCC (newest drivers, sorry i'm not at home so i cannot send photos): 

Override APP settings

AA=4X

Supersampling

ANSIO=8X

Filtering STANDARD

Max. Quality

VSync=OFF (always off or OFF except when required by the application)

IMPORTANT: TESSELATION (at the bottom of this screen)  you have to set TES. to use APPLICATION settings, not AMD optimized (like it was for FSX) or other CCC settings

GPU Overclocked +15% power, same MHZ

Consider that i still have an old CPU (AMD X4 955 OC to 3,8mhz) so I lowered the settings of AA and ANSIOTROPIC, i think with 4th gen CPU you can go waaay up, BUT don't forget Tesselation and filtering settings, because otherwise you will see costant texture pop ups 

Also i put the following strings in my P3d.CFG (i don't suggest to add these to those that don't have a slow cpu with a fast GPU)

BufferPools=0 Disabled

Texture Bandwidth Mult=280

TextureMaxLoad=9-12

FFTF=0.5-0.75

FPS Upper limit = 20

AlwaysFullLoad=1

UseGlobalView=1

ShaderCache=1

ADDONS (used in this test)

REX 4TD

FTX NORWAY

A2A ACCUSIM PLANE (200-300 Kts speed)

With this settings i get really few texture pop up and only occasional blurries, not ruining the experience.  FPS 15  (10 in big cities...)- 19-20 in wild areas, feels not so smooth (but this is just a matter of CPU) No stutters.

With FSX Steam Edition tweaked i could get 22-25 FPS with same blurries (few, rare) but without HDR and shadows. So i think i reached the sweet spot with my current system.

Devil Canyon is arriving in this week, so maybe i will be able to raise a little bit everything, but i think the most important thing that i will not move will be tessellation ULTRA and CCC set to use application... I hope that with I7 4790K i can lower FFTF and increase FPS upper limit to 30-35 FPS stable with 1 monitor (i don't like too high framerates). If will be feasible, i will then try to increase AUTOGEN, Shadows or water and watching the results.

Overall now i think i'm starting to love P3D and i will not come back to FSX (still installed on my not SSD drive), better graphics and smoother flights (sadly with lower settings for my current CPU, but it is 6 years old)

Hope this could help fellow ATI users :-)

ps: tryed Radeon Pro for external FPS lock but i didn't like the results, also i have read that with newer versions of P3D internal locking is quite efficient.

Also i don't like the results of AffinityMask=14, in FSX like P3D i prefer to let the system handle this....

pps: of course i'm discussing 1 monitor setup... regarding 225 degrees/3 monitor setup, maxed graphics and smooth, you are asking very much to your system/P3d.

I do not think it is really an INTEL or LM fault: basically you're asking the system to outperform the human FOV in a realistic simulated plane/enviroment, stretching many miles away, considering the altitude... :blink:

perhaps we should pause to reflect on what we are asking our software / hardware... close your eyes and imagine a fast moving, detailed scenery with a FOV of 225 degrees with a LOD radius of miles...I do not believe that our brain could imagine that with enough "FPS"...

Maybe you should consider giving up a monitor if you want max graphics and smooth experience, or (like suggested by someone else) decrease some slider (i would try shadows and water=medium) 

Thank you Alessandro, i am getting 13 fps in London City and I have found that so far this airport and general area is the lousiest for fps. NY Kennedy is 24 and other airports I see fps in the 30's on  my 225°/3 projector setup.

I will further try your settings and see if I get better results however I am not satisfied with the BenQ at 1280x800 resolution from 2.25m radius, the resolution is too small and I can see all the dots (pixels) from that distance making the whole sceneries look shallow and cartoonish!

I'm not at my home computer, I've been travelling on the road for quite a while.  However, when running the iFly 737NG into Fly Tampa Dubai scenery, I'm still running +70fps at a minimum.  However, my rig is pretty high-end, and it cost me a LOT of $ to build it.  You can see my system in my profile.

Even with all that horsepower, I run my traffic at 50%, ground traffic at 10%, and ship/boat at 0%.  My sliders are set to the next-to-last stop to the right, so not maxed out.  Two 29" monitors in SLI configuration, plus a 19" running my EFB and an 8" touch screen running my CDU until FDS updates their firmware for PMDG and P3D.

Good luck!

Thank you Alessandro, i am getting 13 fps in London City and I have found that so far this airport and general area is the lousiest for fps. NY Kennedy is 24 and other airports I see fps in the 30's on  my 225°/3 projector setup.

I will further try your settings and see if I get better results however I am not satisfied with the BenQ at 1280x800 resolution from 2.25m radius, the resolution is too small and I can see all the dots (pixels) from that distance making the whole sceneries look shallow and cartoonish!

Ok let us know if any improvements show up... I do not know the functioning of BenQ so cannot help over there!

regarding p3d.cfg maybe try lower FFTF and higher tessellation values (with tessellation driven by application in ATI CCC). I saw people suggesting FFTF=0.01, cannot apply  try myself with Phenom II because i get all-blurried scenery (even if consistent FPS), but maybe I7 4790K can keep texture loading even with such a low setting...

Also, if you get blurries with low FFTF i would try higher TBM (texture bandwidth multi) say 200-300-400-500 and see if you get improvements with low FFTF... i think your cpu can handle high TBM (my R9 270X can but i have much lower res. but R9 295X is really high end!). 

I think the point is to find the right balance between FPS and blurries, if you're not having blurry issues maybe you have room for maneuver.

In FSX you could get better performance lowering FFTF and raising TBM....I think this was the fulcrum of FSX's tweak... at the moment I'm not sure this will work in P3D, although my first attempts seems similar behavior although not analogue - with tessellation all the way right (and the proper graphics driver settings).

When i will assemble the new processor i'll post further updates... but i don't expect many problems regarding P3d FPS since i run 1650X1050 1 monitor setup...