Sign in to follow this  
ammarmalhas

What gaming rig will get P3D to give out 40 FPS with Ultra High (Extreme) settings?

My God ... I am totally depressed now!
Have I wasted tons of monies on a dream?

That was not my intent at all, it was just to show you that all cores do get used in P3D and that maxing out everything with 3rd party add-on will lead to OOMs before you get to do much flying even if you had a 10Ghz 8 core CPU.  

It's important to balance hardware, I can get my CPU to run at 5Ghz, but I have to reduce RAM bandwidth to accommodate CPU performance ... end result is a mis-matched system ... it's finding a complete balance of all hardware components that's the key to success and knowing the limitations of one's hardware.

Intel are sadly not focusing their energy on the desktop performance improvements ... a new 5960X @4.3 Ghz (a common stable OC for this CPU) is only 7% faster than my now 3-4 year old 3960X @ 4.6 Ghz (common stable OC) ... some of that 7% gain was also because of the new X99 chipset and not so much the CPU.  3-4 years of desktop CPU progress only results in a 7% gain in performance ... that's pretty weak IMHO.  But without serious competition from AMD, Intel don't have an immediate competitive threat to step up their desktop CPU performance.  

Intel's direction appears to be one of more cores and lower frequency ... which doesn't benefit flight simulations as much as less cores on the same die size but with much higher CPU frequencies.  For the average consumer they see 8 cores vs. 6 cores or vs 4 cores and immediately believe more cores must be better ... and it's sold as being better, but the reality is it's only better with a few very specific programs.  

In the meantime I'm patiently waiting another year for Intel Skylake CPUs ... hoping it'll not be just more of the same from Intel.

My 2 cents.

Cheers, Rob.

I've got 40-60 fps on P3D1.4 (default setting) , more fps on FSX  with Asrock Fatality (X79) / i7-3960X (3.3 GHz) /16GB Ram /GTX Titan.

I got 34 fps in virtual cockpit view of default Cessna 172 and only 16 fps VC view of PMDG777 (KLGA active runway/all scenery sliders full to the right/trafiic sliders zero).

I think I will get more fps on P3D V2 and Steam

I agree to compromise with the sliders to get more fps

@OP

It would be easier if you could borrow three regular monitors to tune your system before using the projectors. It sounds like you need to get the antialiasing and aniso filters adjusted correctly as well. I would also suggest that you test in an area with some good addon scenery(photoreal + quality buildings) that has high frame rates - such as Pablo Ricardo's Rio or Flytampa Hong Kong or some ORBX.

Keep at it - but recognize that 1280x800 resolution is a far cry from the 4K monitor that Rob is using! It is important to start with a quality image( 8X or better AA and Aniso) with high frame rates (100 fps) on one monitor before adding in the other two monitors - and then finally the projectors. Again, I don't recommend using the motherboard GPU - it might screw up the Radeon (or Nvidia) - the drivers can be in conflict.

whitav8

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2

In addition, the "motherboard GPU" is actually on the CPU.. so that takes away from the CPU itself.

Bert

Oh projectors ... pending the type of projector you might want to go with a different digital format such as YCbCr444 rather than RGB which is common for most PC output.  Some projectors work better with YCbCr444.

Cheers, Rob.

I think they do.

I'll read mor eabout nVidia's surround.

thanks.

So you think one gtx 980 is more powerful than one R9 290 (the R9 295 x2 had 2 R9 290's if I am not mictaken), and how much more woud that be? As you say since P3D does not use the Crossfire feature operatingthe dual GPUs in the R295 then only one is working.

In FSX and P3D it is...

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "The Prepar3d General Forum" to "MOBO, RAM, CPU's & Other Hardware". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Thank u for your quick responses guys.

What I now have is as follows:

ASUS Z87K motherboard,

Intel i7 4790, (not overclocked)

DDR3 2666 MHz RAM,

Radeon R9 295 x2,

3 x Benq projectors (1280x800 each) running in AMD Eyefinity with 3840x800 combined resolution for a 225 Deg cylindrical screen with 3 views forming the complete 225 Deg warped using Immersive Display Pro,

TRC1000 based on Flight1 G1000 Student Pro software running F1 generic Cessna T182T airplane, no Guages showing,

No addons except FSUIPC,

One monitor running on the internal integrated GPU of the ASUS motherboard, I use to do my windows work on,

Crucial 240 Gb SSD drive,

Win 7 Home x64,

Microsoft Defender and Comodo internet security (disabling these made no difference),

All this seems not to be enough to reduce any decent fps!

The i7 4790 (3.6ghz) is locked so you won't be able to overclock it. Better option is i7 4790K which is unlocked and runs at 4ghz stock

And you are essentially running 1 x R9 290 as neither FSX or P3D support Crossfire / SLI

In fact, if I have Crossfire enabled I lose performance.

In saying that, I don't think you'll see much of an improvement, if any, by going for something like the Nvidia 970/980

There are some other threads on this forum comparing cards which you can check out. CPU and tweaking settings should be your main focus.

I do have the 4790k at 4.0 GHz.

I believe my problem is mainly that I am running three views which I need to produce a 225 Deg view from my three projectors.

I noticed that closing off one view my fps went up to 24 and closing the second one the fps went up to 36, so it is the three views causing the low fps.

I am wondering why so when the CPU is loaded to no more than %30 on the main core and almost nothing on the other 7 cores. The GPU (R09 295 x2) is also loaded with 30-40% maximum!

Seems I have enough power to run MUCH higher fps at much higher settings, only something is limiting this!

I would understand limitations when I load the CPU or GPU to %80-%100 but at 1/3 capacity, I think the problem is in FSX and P3D!

Fully agree. The code is just not written for modern hardware so cannot utilise it properly.

I'm surprised we haven't seen better performance from P3D yet though. They managed to offload some work to the GPU but it's nowhere near modern day standards.

It might be a case of too much work to re-do the code from the ground up, which is essentially what's needed.

I do seem to get better performance with FSX:SE compared to P3D though but my graphics cards is quite old - AMD 6850 1GB

The code is just not written for modern hardware so cannot utilise it properly.

Really, can you show me a code sample?  And then explain to me why it's not written for modern hardware ... I'd appreciate that.

Cheers, Rob.

I am wondering why so when the CPU is loaded to no more than %30 on the main core and almost nothing on the other 7 cores. The GPU (R09 295 x2) is also loaded with 30-40% maximum!

I'd suggest you check your hardware, my CPUs are loading just fine when they need to be:

Cheers, Rob. 

The proof is in the FPS, no Crossfire/SLI support and still 32bit.

P3D/FSX actually has poor graphics compared to modern games yet we're aiming for 30fps with killer rigs.

The proof is in the FPS, no Crossfire/SLI support and still 32bit.

But you said it was a problem with how the code is written?  So in order to make that statement you would need to provide a code sample showing what exactly is being poorly written and why.  

FPS, 32bit, no SLI is proof of nothing other than ignorance ... hopefully others would not follow such poor logic and make those types of assumptions.

I realize you're just trolling, but I have seen statements like this before and they are just unsubstantiated and provide no real evidence of poorly written code.  

Oh you mean modern games like Crysis?  Not flight simulations? ... hmmm, first time I fired up Crysis and attempted to turn up all the graphics I was at 2-5 fps (with SLI support and two top end graphics cards at the time).  Flight sims are the only applications I'm aware of that operate on a Globe with draw calcs being performed over a 150-200+ mile distances ... not 1-4 miles you see in a "modern" twitch game.  Lets see how a modern twitch game will work at only a 100 mile draw distances with high quality shadows ... some quick graphics calcs and I come up with about 5 seconds per frame ... don't you just love modern?

Cheers, Rob.

Rob,

Thank u for the video. I could not see the picture clearly; on my 13" screen it is too small even in full mode (I am using a 13" MACBookPro).

How do I check my hardware? I checked the RAM it is fine, everything else seems to be working but how do I check the CPU, the graphics card the MOBO? What should I be looking for?

Don't you think that running three views is mainly why I am getting lousy fps but then again, the load on the CPU and GPU are ridiculously low!

Thanks.

Ammar

Ammar, Last time you posted, you were running FSX.. has that changed?

Bert