Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

777 Stick Shaker ?...

Yesterday I spent a good deal of time testing the 777 in FSX-SE.

The FBW logic looks great so far.

One thing ( only "quirk" ... ) I noticed was that when reaching stick shaker region, A/P and A/T disengaged, stick shaker never really came to live ? I could actually enter stall region without an hint of it...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Hi guys,

I tested it myself yesterday, too. I think I might have to report the same issue... Did my first flight from PHNL to KORD, but well, never arrived at my destination. I was able to figure it out when I held manually my yoke for about 10 min. After taking my hands off the yoke, AP disengaged again. In the middle of the flight I calibrated my yoke and everything seemed to be fine, if there hadn't been an FSX crash to desktop.

Today I started the same flight with the yoke calibrated. After some hours of flight I had to struggle with the same issue. I tried to calibrate again my yoke in the middle of the flight which ended up in a complete mess. Is there a way to deactivate stick and/or yoke priority with the 777? Is there also a way to deactivate the Pilot response during flights? Thanks in advance for any help offered.

Kind regards,

Marco

Marco Furtado

Is there also a way to deactivate the Pilot response during flights?

This is discussed in the Intro Manual. Please read it.

The answer to your question is yes. You can turn the Crew Alertness Monitor off using your PMDG SETUP menus.

Kind regards,
Marco

Full names in the forum, please.

Kyle Rodgers

My fault !!!!

It turned out to be a consequence of starting my flights from adefault FSX situation with the FSX 747, then loading the PMDG 777 and starting from there. 

Given the complexity of this model, I believe it is strongly advisable to always start from a pre-saved panel state. We can use the 4 default states that come with the 777s, and create our own states, but after loading the aircraft in FSX, I think a panel state load should be the first thing to do.

On every flight I did today, 1 in the 200 LR and the other in the 300, the stick shaker worked perfectly!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

My fault !!!!

It turned out to be a consequence of starting my flights from adefault FSX situation with the FSX 747, then loading the PMDG 777 and starting from there. 

Given the complexity of this model, I believe it is strongly advisable to always start from a pre-saved panel state. We can use the 4 default states that come with the 777s, and create our own states, but after loading the aircraft in FSX, I think a panel state load should be the first thing to do.

On every flight I did today, 1 in the 200 LR and the other in the 300, the stick shaker worked perfectly!

If you read the introduction manual (you really should) it says you should always start with the default FSX trike / Friday Harbour flight to avoid such issues.

If you read the introduction manual (you really should) it says you should always start with the default FSX trike / Friday Harbour flight to avoid such issues.

I don't recall if FSX-SE starts by default with that situ, because as soon as I installed, primarily to be used as a "World Scenery generator" ( World browser as I sometimes call it... ) for Aerowinx PSX I rushed defining a situation that put me at the threshold of rw 03 LPPT, with the default B747-400 that comes with FSX.

But, above all, I do think that after loading the PMDG 777, one should use the MCDU PMDG menu to get a default situation for initialization.

And YES! certainly looking fwd for the 744 v2, and any additional airliner, commuter, vintage prop, dirigible, strategic bomber, Apollo rocket or Lunar module PMDG might release :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

The location is irrelevant. In fact it's better to use an airport in your own time zone. It should be an FSX default aircraft that loads in the free flight screen, but it doesn't have to be the trike.

ki9cAAb.jpg

The location is irrelevant. In fact it's better to use an airport in your own time zone. It should be an FSX default aircraft that loads in the free flight screen, but it doesn't have to be the trike.

I agree with you on the location, but not on the aircraft type. I believe the default trike is the best option as it lacks pretty much any systems at all, and therefore is the least likely to interfere with the PMDG systems. The Cessnas may be alright, but who amongst us would fly them anyway?  Certainly I would not think that the 738 or 321 would be wise. It MAY be ok... but it also may not be.

I shall quote a passage from the 737NGX introduction document, page 0.00.21:

There is a common misconception that when loading a complex

simulation like the PMDG 737NGX that you should first load the

default Cessna into the simulator, then load the PMDG 737NGX.

This is not a factual conception and in fact we do not recommend

the practice at all. What is required however is for the default

Ultralight at Friday Harbor to be your default startup state in FSX.

I realise this exact wording is not present in the 777 manual, but would think the concept is similar in its intentions.

The Cessnas may be alright, but who amongst us would fly them anyway?

Me  :P

Got my PPL over 4 years (2003-2007), but only at 40.1 hours. I attribute the sim to keeping my skills sharp in the long breaks between flights (I was paying for them on my own when I was in high school through summer jobs). I still use the sim to pre-fly any unfamiliar routes and use the 172 as "Generic GA Aircraft that's low and slow." With UTX and FTX Global, it's remarkable how similar things look in the sim.

Kyle Rodgers

Got my PPL over 4 years (2003-2007), but only at 40.1 hours. I attribute the sim to keeping my skills sharp in the long breaks between flights (I was paying for them on my own when I was in high school through summer jobs). I still use the sim to pre-fly any unfamiliar routes and use the 172 as "Generic GA Aircraft that's low and slow." With UTX and FTX Global, it's remarkable how similar things look in the sim.

A friend uses a very detailed Portugal scenery to train emergency scenarios around here.

He also uses a detailed Piper Arrow FSX model to reproduce his private Piper :-)

He tells me that at least once they certainly proved to be rather useful.

Main Simulation Rig:

I agree with you on the location, but not on the aircraft type. I believe the default trike is the best option as it lacks pretty much any systems at all, and therefore is the least likely to interfere with the PMDG systems. The Cessnas may be alright, but who amongst us would fly them anyway?  Certainly I would not think that the 738 or 321 would be wise. It MAY be ok... but it also may not be.

I shall quote a passage from the 737NGX introduction document, page 0.00.21:

There is a common misconception that when loading a complex

simulation like the PMDG 737NGX that you should first load the

default Cessna into the simulator, then load the PMDG 737NGX.

This is not a factual conception and in fact we do not recommend

the practice at all. What is required however is for the default

Ultralight at Friday Harbor to be your default startup state in FSX.

I realise this exact wording is not present in the 777 manual, but would think the concept is similar in its intentions.

It's not about systems conflict, but initialising FSX variables correctly. So the Trike being the simplest is no advantage. The C172 is hardly complex.

I could also ask who uses the Trike? I certainly don't. It reminds me of the gamey side of FSX, dropping flour bombs. As I wanted to change the default flight location to my time zone I changed the aircraft type too. That way I don't have to see the Trike spinning every time I load FSX. I use the C172 instead (though I never fly it in FSX) and have never had any problems loading PMDG or any other complex addons. Since the NGX Intro Manual was published PMDG have recognised that the Trike/Friday Harbor flight is not the only correct way and the 777 manual represents the current thinking. That is any FSX default aircraft at any location. From the 777 Manual:

What is required however is for a default Microsoft aircraft to be your default startup flight in FSX. The reason for this is that this flight actually loads in the background invisible to the user – if it’s set to a complex addon it can result in the inability to set certain internal variables that the 777 relies on until the simulator is restarted.

This advice also applies to the NGX of course. The same thing applies when you want to load a different PMDG aircraft or livery with one already in use. You should load a default aircraft first, then the new PMDG sim. I've used the A321 for this with no problem, no doubt the 738 works too.

I do fly a Cessna 172 in FSX sometimes, but never the Microsoft one. I use the A2A version.

ki9cAAb.jpg