Sign in to follow this  
Ken Pryor

Taking an unplanned break from FS

So there I was, thinking how great it would be if I could tweak things just a little bit more to squeeze just a few more frames per second out of FSX and X-Plane. A little overclocking never hurt anyone, right? Yea...

Made a little progress by upping the cpu clock speed, running my I7-920 up from 2.67 to 3.0 ghz. Was I satisfied at this point? Nope. Made a tiny adjustment on the memory voltage and now I got nothing. Can't even get to the post screen or bios. I'm hoping I can just swap out the ram and everything will work again, but if not I guess I'll be waiting until I can afford some replacement parts.

Kicking myself,

Ken

Sorry for your loss.

Bright side is now you get to upgrade.

If you do start shopping around have a look at the i7-4790K as a replacement. Easily get 4.4ghz out of that bad boy or boost it further if you wish.

On a fresh install of FSX:SE I am getting 120+ fps without any tinkering. Once loaded up with addons it is getting 30 to 60 fps depending on where you are flying. 

Matthew Kane

Wow! That's impressive indeed. I will upgrade...eventually. Gotta save my pennies for a while.

Can't even get to the post screen or bios. I'm hoping I can just swap out the ram and everything will work again, but if not I guess I'll be waiting until I can afford some replacement parts.

I would recommend clearing the CMOS first via the Motherboard CMOS Jumper - http://www.howtogeek.com/131623/how-to-clear-your-computers-cmos-to-reset-bios-settings/. You just unplug your computer from the back or the wall, open up the case and look for a CMOS button (some are buttons you push, some are switches). It should be near the battery. Hold it down or switch it on for at least 30 seconds then switch it back on. Close the case and turn the power back on. Now start up your system. You should be able to load the bios where you can make changes again. If not, then you have definitely fried something and that would be very unusual as computer systems are made to look for abnormal settings, like high voltages, and then shutdown the system immediately when it detects it so as to prevent damage to your computer.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Or check the power supply.

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

Even on air I doubt you tanked it at 3.0. My old i7 920 board will not post if the memory isn't right, try what Jim  said.

And we're back! I had already tried everything suggested except the jumper setting idea Jim mentioned. That did the trick! It's now back up and running. Thank you to all for your suggestions!

Ken

Of all the people who post on here, I've never seen a bad post by Jim. He's a legend

14ppkc-6.png