Sign in to follow this  
Winston

New problem

I thought I had my "run-time 9 error" fixed, but I couldn't get to the next step involving FSUIPC setup. I read somewhere that having  Flight Sim X in the Programs or Programs (x86) folders could cause problems so I moved FSX out of the Programs (x86) folder. Now I get a "IPC contains bad data" message when I click on the Start Radar Contact icon.

Is there something wrong with my flight plans? I'm using Flight Commander X as my flight planner. I'm setting Radar Contact and FSX as the formats and Radar Contact as the destination. Do I have the wrong path from FCX to these destinations?

As per the instructions, I installed Flight Commander as an administrator by right clicking on the install icon and selecting "install as an administrator," making sure that it, also, did not get installed in the Programs or Programs (x86) folders. I'm pretty sure I got FSUIPC installed, using the same procedure.

I'm getting pretty discouraged and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bob

It's never a good idea just to move FSX because the Registry entries also need modifying otherwise 3rd party addons will still look to the original location.

I suggest you uninstall FSX and then reinstall it to C:\FSX or something very similar. Then do the same for RC and everything should be okay.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Your paths need to be reset in RC to your new FSX folder such as C:\FSX when doing the scenery rebuild. The paths for your flight plan folder and flt/wx should be set to Flight Simulator X Files which lies under My Documents folder. Set FSC to save your fsx .pln file in that folder.

When setting the flt/wx path in RC be sure never to cancel out of it but after you browse to the correct folder OK it. Cancelling out of it will corrupt RC's configuration files.

If you are also using one of FSC's proprietary FMC files, don't load that into RC. RC should only get standard FSX or FS9.pln files.

Be sure you update makerwys.exe and fsuipc4 .dll if you move FSX and reinstall rc.

http://forum.simflight.com/topic/66139-updated-modules/

http://forum.simflight.com/topic/66136-useful-additional-programs/

and then rerun the scenery rebuild from RC.

http://www.flight1.com/view.asp?page=library free registry repair utility should work if it is a registry error. If you keep moving FSX around it could be in error. You might have to right click on this registry checker/repair utility and say run as admin.

What now? I did all of the above and now I no longer get any error messages when i click "Start RC." It just closes on its own. Howver, I do not have any mention of FSIUPC alone in the Modules folder of FSX There are a lot of entrys that refer to FSIUPC in one way or another, but I see no way to select an Adventure or a Mission. The instructions in the Radar Contact manual seem to target FS2004, not FSX. I've also looked in the "Missions" folder of FSX and there is no mention of my flight plan I stored there either.

I'm working under an extreme handicap here! I'm usng a brand new Dell computer, and it only came with Windows 8.1 as the operating system. I can't even safely go online without getting inundated with pop-uips, probably some of which are viruses. I'm using Avast as my security system. I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not. Using Avast on my laptop has given me no trouble at all. I have access to a copy of Windows 7, whcih I am going to install on the new system as soon as my son gets back from Youngstown.

Don't know which way to turn next so any suggestions will be helpful.

Bob

makerwys.exe sdhould be in your FSX folder. fsuipc4.dll should be in your FSX\modules folder.

Missions are a different organization. In the specific folder there are .flt and .ex files but no .pln file for RC to use unless it is created by FSX somewhere. I am not familiar with running them.

In the RC4X folder there is a Tutorials folder containing .pln files to go along with your tutorials in the RC manual. You can copy these to your Documents\Flight Simulator X Files folder to load into RC and FSX as needed.

If RC closes suddenly either you require a new key or one of its configuration files, rcv3.dat and/or keyboard.dat, is probably corrupted requiring a new install. If you cancelled out when setting the .flt\.wx path that cayse an empty path in the .dat file and RC will close when you load it. Be sure always to select OK, not cancel, even if it is the same setting for the .flt\.wx folder. On a good install after you register RC, set paths, and run a scenery rebuild, make safe copies of those two files elsewhere to possibly avoid a reinstall. If you move RC onto a newly formatted disk you need a new key.

Be sure you have created a shortcut to rcv4.exe in your rcv4x folder. In Win 7 you need to right click on the shortcut, click properties, select Run As Admin, click Advanced, select Run As Admin again in this second window, click OK to return to the first window, now in the first property window click Apply to save all of these changes then click OK to close out the properties window.

If your two configuration files can not find the last .pln loaded, RC will close on loading with error 62.

At this point it looks like you need a reinstall again with the new key. In addition, after every reinstall, reinstall the current fsuipc4.dll again and makerwys.exe and if you get that far rerun the scenery rebuild.

The instructions in the Radar Contact manual (last half of page 33 and page 34) were written when FS2004 was the latest version of the Fllght Siumulator program. They are hopelessly out-of-date, and there is no relation at all  in what it says and the actual way to do it!

I muddled around and finally figured it out for myself. Let me rewrite the last half of page 33 and page 34 for the benefit of those, like me, who have FSX and are new to RC.  I'm actually not new to RC; I was flying in RC many years ago when it was RCv2. After several years, I decided to get back into the program.

This may not work for all newcomers, but it works for me:

1. Have FSX running when you compile your flight plan. When you complete your flight plan and click "Start Radar Contact" and it will automaticaly close..

2. From the FSX "free flight" menu, select your aircraft type; departure airport, including what gate you want to be at; your choice of weather, and time and season.

3. Then click on the "flight planner" tab. Click "load" at the bottom of the screen. You will see all the flight plans you have created. Select the one you want and click "open."

4. You're now on the flight planner screen. Makel the selections about the type of flight: routing, etc and when you're done click OK. You are now given the option to have FSX move your airplane to your selected departure airport. I find it best to say no. You have already made that choice, and if you say yes you may be moved to some place on that airport other than your choice, maybe to the active runway.

5. You're now back on the "free flight" page. On the "views" drop-down menu select "air traffic control." You will now see the box described in the RC manual and from there on follow  the RC instructions.

Hope this helps any other newcomers.

Bob

I tested RC4 with FSX Steam Edition. I just started FSX and loaded a saved flight parked at my departure airport. I loaded the .pln file into the FSX planner (for the default aircraft I selected for test) and told FSX not to move the aircraft. I then loaded RC and pulled the FSX .pln file into it and clicked the Start button and alt-tabbed back to FSX and the RC/FSUIPC menu was showing. I got a weather forecast and clearance as expected.

AFAIK if you do not have an aircraft running in FSX you will get I think an fsuipc time-out error when you click the start button in RC.

Just clarifying.

Still having problems getting Radar Contact into FSX as the controlling agency. After going to the flights menu and clicking on the flight planner, then clicking "load" I can select the flight plan that I wanted. I get my plan (departure, destination, etc.) displayed and I click OK. Then I get the question "Do you want FSX to move your plane to the departure airport? After saying no, I find myself at the departure airport/ramp, but then I have no ATC. If I click on the views menu and click ATC I get the FSX ATC program, not Radar Contact. How do I get RC as my ATC program?.

According to the instructions in the RC manual there should be a  "Modules" menu to select the "Adventure" (as it was called in FS2004). I have a Missions menu, which replaces Adventures in FSX, but my "Mission" is not there. I see no way to get Radar Contact as my Air Traffic Control.

Bob

How do I get RC as my ATC program?.

I've seen many unusual questions but this one is new to me. You have presumably installed RC from the CD. Therefore there will be a shortcut on your Desktop. Double-click it to launch RC4 and learn how to use it by starting with the tutorials.

Your references to 'adventures' refer to v3. v4 uses flight plans.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I do have the  Radar Contact Icon, and I can start it. I go through selecting my flight plan (created by Flight Sim Commander), set up my preferences such as call sign, etc. and then close RCv4.

Now how do I get the square box with the ATC instructions when I go back to FSX? I see no way to select my flight when I return to FSX. I can't fly the tutorial flights when I don't have the options box to receive and respond to ATC instructions. Selecting ATC under the Views menu simply gets me into the FSX ATC program.

Bob

Is this a joke or are you being serious? Why are you closing RC4? How do you imagine it can monitor your flying if it isn't running?

I suggest you read the manual and follow the guidance in the 4 tutorials. If you want help on setting up the window to view the RC interface read this pinned thread. http://forum.avsim.net/topic/272752-fsuipc-widefs-showtext-settings-for-rc-43/

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

RC must have the FSX version plan loaded but don't start it until you have aircraft set-up viewing at least the panel. When you Start it then you should get the dialog box (typically semitransparent blue background) with default red text for the menu and status area such as heading to the next waypioint, etc.

Once RC is started you can not load another flight plan into it. Your first RC window typically has a choice to get weather and your clearance delivery which will assign your initial altitude.

You can return to the pre-flight RC dialog by using alt-tab. The Start button is labeled quit to "gracefully" exit RC. If you quit FSX before RC closes, RC will hang and you'll have to use the task manager to abort it.

If you require FSX to have the flight plan for navigation, whatever, then you also have to load that one into the FSX planner.

In essence, the.pln file you load into RC should be the same as you load into FSX.

What we suggest you do to avoid confusion is to turn down the FSX audio slider for FSX ATC in FSX's mixer. RC is your ATC controller when you run it, not FSX ATC.

In RC's general setup make sure "IFR training" is not checked as that suppresses the status part of the in flight RC window.

Unless you are running RC on a different computer than FS, what I described is the window you should see. If you have a green ribbon across the top of your panel view that you are using a setup for an RC networked client. To avoid the green dialog window with the RC text, be sure you have a current FSUIPC version. If you have AdvDisplay.dll in your modules folder rename it to AdvDisplay.dlh to disable it.

If you drag the RC in flight window around, be sure you click back somewhere on the aircraft panel so keystrokes can be passed to RC.

Hi,

Ray and Ron are the best at support on this forum!

As a long time user my advice would be to get into a start up routine for your flight and stick to it.

I do not have Flight Sim Commander but use another planner but the steps should be the same.

Plan your flight using Flight Sim Commander and export the flight plans to FSX,RC and your aircraft if applicable.

Start up FSX ,allow it to settle,(If you use a weather program some need starting before FSX others can be started after FSX),allow the weather to settle.

Select your aircraft and position it at the airfield and gate of choice.Prep aircraft if you are using one with an FMC ie Load flight plan,

Open up RC and start it up ,select your flight plan and adjust any other settings,Make sure that FSX sound for FSXATC is turned fully down.

You then should be good to go.

Yes,the manual was written a few years ago but do read it and you in the main just need to substitute FSX for FS9 and also be aware that some flight plan details may have changed.

The instruction manual I have says clearly, on page 33, halfway down the page, "We can now close Radar Contact and launch Flight Simulator for the last bit of configuration."  Is the manual wrong?

Bob

The instruction manual I have says clearly, on page 33, halfway down the page, "We can now close Radar Contact and launch Flight Simulator for the last bit of configuration."  Is the manual wrong?

Bob

Bob,

That is only for setting up RC to your configuration. Once that is done you need to exit it so your settings are remembered.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather