Sign in to follow this  
CaptainAdlai

Fatal Simulator Accidents

I'm curious about the number (if any) of major accidents our virtual pilots have. Do you crash frequently? Excluding goofing around, of course, who here has sent a bunch of virtual passengers to their graves? I've done it once. I decided to take some people on a fishing trip, flying a Falcon 50 on an IFR flight in Alaska. On the approach to Sitka, I was totally IMC, and due to incorrectly reading a chart, flew into a hill I couldn't see until it was just mere few feet away. It sounds stupid, but these pilot-error-type things are the biggest causes of real crashes. Needless to say, I was infuriated to crash a plane; I figured I'd never do it.

I have an otherwise perfect safety record in the simulator, having not so much as blown a tire. How about the rest of y'all?

Thanks for the info, everyone. Safe flying.  B)

Other than the occasional overspeed and excluding bugs with the aircraft, I've actually been perfectly safe. However, once, after a long flight from EHAM-KORD on a 767, I realized that I was descending a little too slowly. I cut the power a few hundred feet before I should have and the aircraft sunk like a stone. It ended of crashing right over the numbers. My VA's ACARS program gave me a landing rate of -1500 FPM  :wacko:

Obviously when I was still new to flight sims it happened a lot.

One crash I remember particularly well was when flying a pattern in the Beech Baron in Flight Unlimited II. I believe I was landing at KHWD. As I was turning from base to final, my airspeed crept too low and the stall warning sounded. Being a beginner pilot, I did what felt most natural - I pulled back. I was never able to recover from the stall, and crashed short of the runway. The fluid flight dynamics of FU2 combined with the (for the time) very realistic graphics, and the similarity to many real accidents and common pilot errors just made the accident feel really uncanny.

My most recent crash was maybe 1.5 years ago, once again with a Baron  :lol: This time I was trying to land the MilViz B55 at 2WA1 and came in too high and too fast, floated down half the runway, touched down and then wend over the eastern end of the runway.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

With FS2002 I flew the stock 777 into a mountain east of KLAX while attempting a manual approach and right after FS9 came out I crash landed a 734  at KSAW - I forgot to put the gear down. For some reason my grandson enjoys crashing the C172 into anything that he sees. I do not like to crash. I consider that a shameful failure.

Regards,

I crash landed a 734  at KSAW 

Well, at least you had a good 12K feet to grind to a halt! Interesting, though, as far as I know you and I are the only simmers to have visited KSAW, never seen it mentioned anywhere else by anyone  :ph34r:

I forgot one! After Captain Sullenberger crash landed in the Hudson river I loaded up my A320 and did a reasonably good job of replicating that except my A320 did float very long for some reason.

as far as I know you and I are the only simmers to have visited KSAW

I went by there while on vacation in the U.P. When I got back home I looked it up in FS9, added parking and moved / added some buildings.

Regards,

Neat topic!

Crash landings are a grey area for me....  I love to fly such an eclectic group of aircraft and helicopters in my sim, that I'm for sure going to have the occasional 'rough' landing once in awhile until I get accustomed to the new bird.  There have been a few of those where in real life they may of had disastrous consequences, if not for the pilot then for the machine!

The odd time when I have an actual, no question about it, 'fatal' crash, it almost always takes place in a military jet.  And they stand out in my memory, as they tend to be quick and violent:

- My most recent crash was with the AS F-14.  It simulates well the dangers of exceeding the control envelope.  On a tight turn, I experienced a flameout and immediately entered into a spin. Before I could do much, I entered G-LOC (thanks, TacPack).  On recovering from that, I was still in a spin, and I had about 2 seconds before the ground came up to meet me... very, very fast.  Very visceral.  :mellow: 

- I've had a couple of stalls on approach with the MV F-86 and the SSW F-104. Both are easy to get too slow on, and not have enough immediate power to pullout of the stall once you realize it's happening.  For that reason, I've learned to prefer coming in a bit hot on jets that I'm not familiar with.  And pick looooong runways to go along with that!

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.