Sign in to follow this  
fogboundturtle

Trondheim Airport, Værnes - i will never forget you.

Last night after many failed previous attempt , I landed my first PDMG 777-200R on the beautiful Panoramio approaching runway 09. Now only did I land successfully but it was smooth. It was not a manual landing (A/P was activated)  but nonetheless it was an milestone for me. I understood enough about the plane instrumentation that I was able to program the FMC and use all the tools at my disposal to execute my plan. I cannot wait to try again and see if I can do it again without the assistance of the A/P on the last stretch.

do you remember where you landing your first 777 ?.

Claude Desrosiers

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

do you remember where you landing your first 777 ?.

Dulles (KIAD)

Norway is very scenic, though, so I'm sure the view was great for the landing.

Also: don't forget to sign your posts. This can be configured in your account settings here so that you don't forget. Please.

Kyle Rodgers

Dulles (KIAD)

Norway is very scenic, though, so I'm sure the view was great for the landing.

Also: don't forget to sign your posts. This can be configured in your account settings here so that you don't forget. Please.

It was actually your video that you did on the 777 that helps me out a lot Kyle. So thanks for that.

Note : signature is setup now so you won't have to warn me again.

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

It was actually your video that you did on the 777 that helps me out a lot Kyle. So thanks for that.

You're welcome. Sorry for the epic rambling that became of that video - haha.

Note : signature is setup now so you won't have to warn me again.

Perfect. Thanks for making the adjustment!

Kyle Rodgers

First landing....good question. I'm pretty sure I was also KIAD. Oh wait...that would have been the second landing, OMDB was the first.

Chris B. Trane

KMIA, I believe (without autoland, first one was the tutorial) . Because that is where my 2014 vacation went. Nice to land between thunderstorms. 

Stian Beinset

ENML

KMIA for me too, from KLAX. I marveled at the fact that I could fly KLAX-KMIA without having to fill the wings or put anything in the belly. That's when I knew we could go places, as in KIAH-YSSY or even FOAR, and then there was the KMEM-VTBS and EHAM-VTBS, which took me over territories I had never heard of LOL.

Dan Downs KCRP

KMIA for me too, from KLAX. I marveled at the fact that I could fly KLAX-KMIA without having to fill the wings or put anything in the belly. That's when I knew we could go places, as in KIAH-YSSY or even FOAR, and then there was the KMEM-VTBS and EHAM-VTBS, which took me over territories I had never heard of LOL.

I was just talking to someone about this the other day. There was a China [something] Cargo flight with an ETE of just short of 17 hours in the air the other day. I love flying. It's the only thing that I'm truly passionate about...but I think I'd have trouble just sitting there for so long. Granted, it's cargo, so they have the supernumerary area to relax in when they switch crews, but unless there's an XBOX back there and/or a ton of movies, I'd have trouble...

Kyle Rodgers

Well, it was quite some months ago... I would say KATL maybe (OMDB-KATL for a long haul) or maybe ZSPD from LFPG... or even KLAX from LFPG... difficult to remember exactly as I did a lot of flights since!

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

KPAE-KSEA-KBFI-KPAE as a round trip.

Then I initiated a T/O roll on KPAE 11, where the T7's A/T and RAAS systems idled my throttles automatically (IIRC):

"SHORT RUNWAY", which gave me a nice impression of what to expect further more...

where the T7's A/T and RAAS systems idled my throttles automatically (IIRC)

Not sure it'll automatically retard the throttles like that...

Kyle Rodgers

That's why I said "IIRC". B)

But I also remember a yellow EICAS warning "SHORT RUNWAY" which was quite revealing (besides the decreasing N1 indication). But in that moment I also could not really believe what just happend... (over a year ago)

So time for a rehearsal! "See me on KPAE RWY 11 (4504 ft / 1373 m!)" :blink:

(REM: the RAAS warning (aural+EICAS) was the only "config" warning, so flaps and trim must have been set correctly. And I don't remember if the Autobrake was set to RTO, because I was really doing some first crazy sim stuff.)

BTW: RWY 11 is actually used by Boeing as a parking lot, but UT2 doesn't know about that..  :lol: 

Kyle, I tried about 10 KPAE RWY 11 ("desperate") T/Os. :blink:

On initial T/O-rolls RAAS reports the runway length (aurally) as "short runway, 1300m remaining".

During actual T/O rolls the alert remained silent.

According to the FCOMv2 there should be an aural "SHORT RUNWAY" alert and a yellow "SHORT RUNWAY" alert on the NDs when max. reached/accelerated speed drops by 7 knots or more during T/O roll.

I tried that, too. But both alert types (aural and ND) did not go off.

From what I remember from my above mentioned first T7 flight, this RAAS alert actually worked (although probably my "auto idle thrust experience" might have been caused by something else).

I had "RAAS PRO" already installed back then (2013) for the NGX SP1C, so nothing changed in the meantime except that I am on SP1D for the T7 now in FSX.

Is it possible that during one of the T7's SPs something broke between RAAS and the T7? Or that an existing "RASS PRO" installation is hampering T7's internal RAAS meanwhile?

:wacko:

If you're using FSX SE now, that might be the reason it's not working. I'm sure Bryan will have a fix here soon.

Kyle Rodgers

If you're using FSX SE now, that might be the reason it's not working. I'm sure Bryan will have a fix here soon.

Hi Kyle,

"problem solved".

My confusion about the two yellow RAAS ND-alerts "ON TAXIWAY" and "SHORT RUNWAY" not showing up has a relatively simple explanation:

These alerts only occur on the ND, when TERR is active. (see FCOMv2, 15.10.17).

Since its availability I have the WXR-mode on for the CPT-side during T/Os, before that I used the TERR-mode... :blink:

But for the KPAE RWY11 "Auto Idle experience" - seemingly triggered by a RAAS "SHORT RUNWAY"  alert - I still have no explanation. I just remember wondering about the high level of automation that would go beyond Airbus interventions...

(Probably I accidentally idled the throttles myself...) :wacko: