Sign in to follow this  
andymartin

Aerosoft Twin Otter Extended

I tried it Paul, it certainly makes for a nicer flying experience in the Twin Otter Extended (whether or not it's more/less realistic).

To the OP;  have you tried anything as simple as a re-install? ........ The behaviour with the AP you are seeing is not typical I'd say;  The AP holds IAS in the climb for me perfectly, and as soon as I hit ALT HOLD, it levels out and maintains altitude perfectly.

Perhaps try reinstalling, in case something got messed up.

Back to the extended, ive applying that cfg edit and it does rotate earlier now, and more nose down on approach,  i guess that edit just increases the efectiveness of the flaps?

Weirdly im now having that sticking wheel issue on taxi, which i didnt before!     Has anyone found a solution to this?

Andy

I tried hard to love the Twin Otter, but it has terrible and very frustrating ground handling, also I have a cockpit build and so use a 2D view which means I cant see engine instruments, the result is an endless series of fires or prop stalls.

So I revert back to my favourite twin, the Flight 1 BN-2 Islander.

Hey I had the same ground sticky with the Twotter. I bought Frictionality and it works GREAT!! It is pretty cheap too. I think cost me under $13.

What I like about it is you can tweak a lot of perimeters on each one of your AC separately.

Fixed my Twotter and used it on other AC I was having problems with too.

FYI for the Twotter I used it to remove ALL friction down to Zero.

Rob

"Life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it"

The problem seems to be the way you are flying the aircraft.  You must use a combination of the altitude selector, AP and arming the select altitude button.

See if these screens are of help:

1. on the runway select the runway heading on the HSI then select the altitude indicator (3000') engage the AP switch (up). 

Select arm altitude button (orange light above Horizon)

Arm the Autofeather (Green button)

Take off:

to1.jpg

2. @400' select the heading button on the AP:

to2.jpg

3. Let the aircraft climb at a steady 900'FPM @110-120knots:

to3.jpg

4. @ 2000' the altitude selector will sound an audible for 1000' to go (red light):

to4.jpg

5. Aircraft has levelled out automatically by the AP at 3000' as selected on the altitude selector and speed has increased arm lights have extinguished and the ALT has engaged on the AP:

to5.jpg

James (jaydor)

"Let me X-Plane where I fly in 2020"

The aircraft levels out ok and holds altitude as well as turning to correct headings.   The odd thing it does is that as soon as i engage the IAS button when climbing, it immediatly tips the nose down, almost as though it wants to increase speed, before easing back into a constant speed climb, although 10 kts more than the speed when i first hit the IAS button!    The aircraft was trimmed correctly for the climb.

After reinstalling its much better than it was when it constantly bucked nose up then down when climbing.

Just wish the thing wouldnt stick when taxiing,  the autopilot improved upon reinstall,  the sticking problem got a lot worse!

All very odd.

Still love the aircraft though.

Andy

I have dropped my toe brakes back to 2 from 5 in the cfg and I no longer stick:

cfg1.jpg

James (jaydor)

"Let me X-Plane where I fly in 2020"

Thanks for that, James. I may just get it out of the hangar now.

I changed the brakes too in the cfg and it makes no difference at all to how much power is needed to get the twotter moving, it just decreases the braking effect when it is moving.

Andy