Sign in to follow this  
andymartin

Aerosoft Twin Otter Extended

I changed the brakes too in the cfg and it makes no difference at all to how much power is needed to get the twotter moving, it just decreases the braking effect when it is moving.

Andy

If you own a registration for FSUIPC you can download and enable DynamicFriction lua that gives a realistic ground dynamic

Reading through this thread made me realize why I hated this plane so much. I tried adding the recommended CFG changes to the flaps scalars, and it helped. I also added a few changes of my own that seem to improve the low-speed lift and taxiing characteristics. All the numbers I got for stall speed were sourced from wikipedia and online discussion among Twotter pilots. Please backup your cfgs before altering them, as usual. 

Default          Changed to

[reference speeds]

flaps_up_stall_speed          80                   66

full_flaps_stall_speed          66                   56  

[flaps.0]

lift_scalar                               1.00               1.50 (introduced earlier by Paul Golding)

pitch_scalar                          1.00               1.50 (introduced earlier by Paul Golding)

[propeller]

low_speed_theory_limit       80                 58

[brakes]

differential_braking_scale     0.2                 0.8 (doesn't relieve the stickiness but makes tight turns much easier without losing momentum)

For the most part I think this is an improvement, but the changes also seem to cause a slight ballooning when the throttle is reduced, after which it settles down and sinks. The default cfg has this tendency, but the changes exacerbate the issue.

Edit: I should also add that the payload loader seems to put cargo in the 3 consecutive cargo holds based on the ratio of available weight. So even with weight available in the Fwd cargo, you'll find luggage in the Aft Ext. Shifting the cargo as forward as possible by using as much weight as you can in the Fwd, and then Aft compartments will dramatically push the CoG forward, and decrease upward pitch in low speed maneuvers. This requires manual editing of payload from within FSX.   

Hey Paul, I played around with the lift setting and at the moment, I figure I will play with the lift and drag scalars to tweak to my liking. Thanks a bunch. Seeing the lil bit of nose down with the new lift figure, I am excited all over agaiN about the Twotter.

Cheers.

Wow didn't know that the FDE was so bad! I'm looking forward to a fix. 

Please sheer your findings guys :smile:

I have to admit, I put the config back to default. Except for the differential braking fix. When you change one thing on these configs it can expose flaws elsewhere. The default fde isn't perfect, but something feels unnatural about the edits I made. The differential braking fix helps in taxi though. That's the only one I didn't see a downside to.

Well, I can say that the Twin Otter X is a much better ride than the Extended. Ground handling is much smoother and the flight dynamics feel more realistic (I flew on a DH-6 last August in Kenya). Plus I found an Air Kenya texture for this version, now I can replicate the flight at last :)