Sign in to follow this  
Pe11e

Weird fear

Well, I have to admit that I have a somewhat weird fear. In the following days I will visit a professional B737-800 simulator, class 4 (or grade 4, not sure), means it doesn't have only hydraulics (class 5), and cadet pilots are training and passing tests and exams there. Anyway I will fly a full 1 hour flight with a captain, me as FO. Since I'm in love with the FSX and PMDG NGX, I have a feel that after that simulator session my comprehension of FSX will not be the same again. I really have a fear that I will be suddenly bored with NGX and FSX generally.

Now I have a question for you that were in the same situation - tried pro simulator beside FSX. How that affected your perception of flight simming generally?

1. do you got bored with it, because you felt it was suddenly less immersive?

2. you were more attractive by simming, because you now know more after a simulator session and a whole new dimension of flight simming has opened?

3. or the status remained the same, you love simming same as before?

I really fear that I will feel the first one. And believe it or not, I'm seriously thinking to avoid any professional simulator session just in case simply because it could ruin my simming experience. And lets be realistic, I spend at lest and hour or two per day in FSX, and will spend maybe hour or two total in professional simulator, so logically FSX is more important lol.  :lol: But my passion for flying and airplanes will continuously  push me to try that pro simulator, and I'm sure I will be mad at myself because I could miss the chance.

Your experiences?

Cheers

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

You will be surprised at how good FSX looks, compared to a pro simulator. I've flown one several times and it hasn't diminished my love for the NGX at all

Of course, the movement is super realistic and actually made me nauseous a few times during the landing when someone else was flying.

The outside world, though, is crap.

In short , go and do it, it's fantastic.

Martin

I haven't flown a pro sim but seen a few on tv programs.  I noticed all of them are insanely smooth without a hint of stutter.

Have no fear you will be simming as before. If I were you I would go for the full motion sim

……even better try real flight…you might think twice before flying through that storm cloud. :smile:

This simulator is using FSX only for visuals, so it's a home court. :) Sadly it's default FSX, but there is a chance that captain will upgrade it with FTXG + Vector + OpenEU LC. And because of triple screen projectors, it runs at appr. 12-15fps, but never saw anyone complains. My eyecandy FSX runs at 30-40-50fps so I'm spoiled it seems.

Of course, the movement is super realistic and actually made me nauseous a few times during the landing when someone else was flying.

It's not about movement (this doesn't have hydraulics), it's about 1:1 cockpit, realistic feel and physics of the real B737-800.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

Oh, it's not a level-d simulator then. Not realistic at all.

Flew a full motion simulator once of I believe a King Air. Interesting experience for sure, and I still fly in FS9. Of course, I mostly fly commercial jets in the simulator, so....

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

While in the military I got a chance to fly the F-4 Phantom (non-motion), KC-135, and B-52 (full motion) simulators.  What was intreging about them was how heavy the controls were, especially the B-52.   No pc's back then, but still remember those moments when flying the CS 707 or CS B-52! 

Oh, it's not a level-d simulator then. Not realistic at all.

What the...? I said that future airline pilots will get the licence there, will pass the test there. No, not realistic at all.

What the...? I said that future airline pilots will get the licence there, will pass the test there. No, not realistic at all.

So how do you get a feel of how the plane is supposed to handle in the air when the simulator isn't a full-motion simulator and therefore doesn't move.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

So how do you get a feel of how the plane is supposed to handle in the air when the simulator isn't a full-motion simulator and therefore doesn't move.

Well, 90% of professional racing drivers when not on the track are practicing using non-motion simulators. You don't mandatory need a full-motion simulator to get prepared for RL race or flight. Most important things are identical controls and sensitivity and physics (flight model). If those two are highly realistic and sophisticated then you're good to go. Full-motion is of course most realistic simulator, but not mandatory.

Guys, we play at home, some of us in a darkened room, joystick/yoke clutched in our sweaty palms, gazing at 1, 2 or even 3 screens, with our imagination running wild.

For some of us, it's a game, for others, an obsession.

Remember, what we play with, was developed by a gaming studio.

Will we get bored with what we have after being in a 'Real"simulator?

lol.. The immersion factor is the most important thing when simming at home..

Will you get bored? Maybe, Will I, after doing the same? No!

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

While in the military I got a chance to fly the F-4 Phantom (non-motion), KC-135, and B-52 (full motion) simulators.  What was intreging about them was how heavy the controls were, especially the B-52.   No pc's back then, but still remember those moments when flying the CS 707 or CS B-52! 

I spent an hour in a Level D B777, I was struck by how easy it was to hand fly….I'd much rather fly a KC-135. (simming that is :BigGrin: )

The B777 training Captain gave me the great compliment that she could not believe I was not a pilot ….as she put her hand on my thigh…no not really! …as I handled all the crosswinds and low vis she threw at me.

Having said that when I turned my head and imagined the size of the aircraft I was controlling there is no way I would have the balls to do that IRL. :lol:

Did this experience diminish my want to fly the 777 on my sim? Far from it…I took to the HD shots I had taken in the Level D sim and put them in my sim! B)

I'm going today to fly in a simulator, and I have one concern. When I fly at home in front of my Saitek Pro Flight yoke, I always hold it with my left hand, right hand on the throttle quadrant. In simulator I will be sitting in the right seat, right hand on the yoke, left on throttle quadrant. I really don't know how I will perform on finals with controls "switched".

Good luck & have loads of fun!! Whenever you in Cape Town, come fly our Avro Shackleton & our  Impala (South African Air Force designation of the Aeromacchi MB-326K trainer)

Regards,

Robin

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond...