Sign in to follow this  
ashepherd316

FSX vs P3D 2.4

The combination of HDR lighting, volumetric fog, cloud shadows and terrain shadows isn't a very very small difference.

Good for you you can run the sim with these options. I can't (and I'm not the only one).

P3D for me is my future main sim. FSX had its day and now its time to say goodbye to that simulator, I'll be glad to see the back of it! P3D as many have said is in active development, with the developers adding some neat features as well as fixing many bugs, that is one of the reasons I chose to switch to P3D. When PMDG release their aircraft for the platform, then I will be as happy as a bird flying free. Don't hesitate to purchase P3D and try it out, you really won't be disappointed, especially if you have a rig that can run it ;)

"Downside to P3D is generally you pay more for payware."

Please give examples. None of my add-ons are prized differently. Unless you think (for whatever reason) that you are a professional and go for that licence.

wait until you see the price for the P3Dv2 PMDG 777  :o   it will be around/under $200

Good for you you can run the sim with these options. I can't (and I'm not the only one).

That still doesn't mean the diferences are very very small. We all have different hardware and addons installed, and should prioritize accordingly.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

wait until you see the price for the P3Dv2 PMDG 777  :o   it will be around/under $200

"Generally" and one product (not released yet), are pretty far apart. Bet they have a good reason, but that's another discussion :)

@Alan. If you are a professional, I bet you can cough up those 199 bucks :). So what do you do, professionally in simming, to be in need of that version?

And people complaining about not being able to run a new platform, with a set of completely new features, on their old hardware? Please...

I am 72 and can hardly be called a student, Only use it for entertainment which has a big cross by it.

I'm 66 and I still learn new things everyday. I'm a student of life; for life. :Whistle:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I am 72 and can hardly be called a student, Only use it for entertainment which has a big cross by it.

I do not understand that kind of statement (and you are not the only one stating this)

Practically, do you really fear somebody from LM legal department will come from behind while you are flying, to check if you are entertaining or training ?

I am really not making fun of you, just trying to understand if there are people who have so much self-discipline and law-compliance, that they can't buy Prepar3d.

Are you using it for 'simulation purposes' ??

Are you a professional pilot or commercial venture??

'academic version' does not state anywhere in the licence that you need to be enrolled in a school, college or university. In fact, there are no checks of this kind at all when you purchase.

Also, if you are not a qualified pilot or aviation professional or going to school to be a pilot or aviation pro then you are a student of aviation. You are certainly at the 'undergrad' level in aviation terms.

any neutral people who can tell me which sim is better and why thanks.

As at least one other has noted, finding someone truly neutral on the topic will be nearly impossible. Every opinion will be colored by each individuals preferences and interests. Here's where I weigh in on things...

When flying FSX:

• I enjoy the 100% compatibility with all my addons. Everything works.
  • Even using the DX10 Fixer, I miss the enhanced visuals that Prepar3D brings to the table and the smoother experience FSX:SE brings.
  • So I end up going to FSX:SE for the smoother performance but at the expense of some current compatibility hitches.

When flying FSX:SE

• I enjoy the smoother experience over FSX. It looks exactly the same, but works a bit better.
  • I miss a few select addons which don't yet work with FSX:SE (ActiveSky Next being a standout example for me). They should be coming, but they're just not ready yet.
  • Even using the DX10 Fixer, I still miss the enhanced visuals (cloud shadows, the feeling of atmosphere, etc. etc.) that Prepar3D brings to the table and find myself wanting to go back.
  • ...So I end up going to P3D for the far better visuals and polish of a newer platform.

When flying Prepar3D v2.4:

• I really enjoy the visuals and overall smoothness. Mmm!
  • I end up missing even more aircraft which are not available on P3D and I don't look forward to potentially budget-breaking pricing on several expected P3D conversions coming in the future.
  • ...So I end up going back to ye olde original FSX for compatibility purposes where everything works.

So you see, it is difficult for a die-hard simulation user to find that perfect fit with our choices today. As someone who only wants one simulation installed at any given time, I still have not yet settled into which platform I want to ultimately live with. I've done more installs and re-installs over the past several weeks and months than I can count.

Pick your poison!

-Greg

I really enjoyed FSX, but with my addons and things I was only getting in the single digits for FPS, so even though I really liked it, my rig was just to slow. So I updated my PC and decided to move over to P3D and still have a long way to go, but I'm really enjoying it so far, nothing under 35 FPS on the new rig, and it does offer a more immersive flight experience, especially on my new 32" HDTV. But without a fast PC it may be better to stick with FSX until you can enjoy all the special effects that P3D offers.

Cheers

Martin

Experience shows there is no perfect panacea sim out there unless you are willing to live with some compromise...even considering X-Plane. But if you like fsx, then you now have 3 candidates to consider. Of them all, the one with the greatest specs and pace of development is P3d. Of course that doesn't mean there wouldn't be challenges... But hey if you are an enthusiast, it's the nature of the " beast". Nothing is free, not even progress.

P3D for me is my future main sim. FSX had its day and now its time to say goodbye to that simulator, I'll be glad to see the back of it! P3D as many have said is in active development, with the developers adding some neat features as well as fixing many bugs, that is one of the reasons I chose to switch to P3D. When PMDG release their aircraft for the platform, then I will be as happy as a bird flying free. Don't hesitate to purchase P3D and try it out, you really won't be disappointed, especially if you have a rig that can run it ;)

+1 for me. P3D is the future in my eyes. After PMDG bring the NGX to life in P3D, I will leave FSX without looking back. 

Philipp Schwaegerl

After trying P3D, and adjusting the visuals to match as close as possible to FSX (I say again as close as possible), the FPS is very similar. However P3D IS smoother. Also as an added bonus you have the option to turn on some eye candy you did not have with FSX. Yes with a performance penalty but you have to adjust to your computers power and own visual acceptance. So really there is no reason anyone should be using FSX anymore. Go buy P3D NOW, and be done with it. You will all be glad you did.

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+