Sign in to follow this  
ashepherd316

FSX vs P3D 2.4

Basically i will be using the PMDG 747 and i like to fly to big airports like Heathrow Dubai Hong Kong Beijing Singapore etc and i want good performance and good visuals i would like to go to P3D i currently have a 2700k and GTX 580 with 16gb 2144mhz ddr3 Ram so would that be good enough i could upgrade my graphics card to a GTX 970.

Alexander Shepherd

You can/should try P3d and get a refund if you don't like it.  Your system will pose a challenge if you try to push the graphics options P3d makes available - but, you probably will see the equivalent and better performance compared to FSX with common settings.  To really appreciate what P3d offers in the graphics arena, a strong computer (cpu/graphics) is highly recommended.

I want to use the pmdg 747 though does that work on p3d.

No PMDG aircraft is comptabile with P3D at this moment. The T7 is up for release shortly.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

You can/should try P3d and get a refund if you don't like it.  Your system will pose a challenge if you try to push the graphics options P3d makes available - but, you probably will see the equivalent and better performance compared to FSX with common settings.  To really appreciate what P3d offers in the graphics arena, a strong computer (cpu/graphics) is highly recommended.

So basically there is no point in getting the graphics card i can't upgrade my cpu as i will need a new motherboard and that means reinstalling everything so i am going to wait for skylake for that but is it not worth getting a GTX 970 then over my GTX 580.

Alexander Shepherd

I have heard nobody about the big differerence in color between FSX and P3D.

FSX has vivid colors, P3D is far to dark. Really ugly. It's look like there is a black mask over the picture.

FSX has vivid colors, P3D is far to dark. Really ugly. It's look like there is a black mask over the picture.

When using the default settings and HDR lighting, I must agree. HDR casts a darker pall over the textures. When HDR is turned off, it looks very much like FSX to me, except somehow more rich and vibrant.

That said, a bit of tweaking on the shader files can help if you like HDR. Rob posted up this set of adjustments to the shader files which certainly brighten up the day and help accelerate the transitions between light and dark scenes (and vice versa).  It has made a great difference in the appearance of HDR and is worth the few minutes of time to set up.

-Greg

P3D is slightly darker than FSX, but it looks perfectly fine to my eyes. I always thought that FSX was too bright, and in fact I am still not happy with the brightness in P3D in broad daylight. I have been told that I can reduce the global brightness level with the "Day_Threshold=" statement in the Prepar3d.cfg file, but I haven't had much luck with that yet. Maybe I just need a lower setting?

EDIT: I have HDR switched OFF, so that may make a difference.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Is there no light bloom in the game like fsx i like how it makes the aircraft lights look better i know you can use ensb but thaat doesn't do the aircraft lights.

Alexander Shepherd

This might sound silly but i fly in PD3 never owned FSX but when Steam released FSX i bought it just to see what it was like "Mob Mentality" :)      The first impressions i got from a naked Steam FSX  was " Its just looked like an older version PD3 V2.4,   that's really it,  Version 0.5 maybe.  

P3D is far to dark.

After you install PD3,  yes it looks dark but once you put FPS into "unlimited" and turn off HDR its great. 

wait until you see the price for the P3Dv2 PMDG 777 :o it will be around/under $200

Source? And no don't give me the standard rsr sub 300$ quote cause as he stated himself he said that the fsx version would be in the sub 200$ and we all know it doesn't cost anything near that.

Don't spread rumors, too much drama will happen

Doesn't really matter what price it is,  Some will buy it quickly and quietly,  others will moan about licenses and other repetitive arguments,   End of the day, people will buy it regardless of price. 

I'm 66 and I still learn new things everyday. I'm a student of life; for life.

Me too, in fact, I think that's why I enjoy flight simulation at all levels ... not a day goes by without me learning something new.

P3D is evolving and as far as I know it's the ONLY product based on FSX SP2 that has a LOT (not all) of existing FSX compatibility and that stands a chance of moving to a 64bit platform ... which I know PMDG would benefit from.  

P3D can be as serious as you want it to be or as simple as you want it to be, but what it can't do is perform miracles ... more visual features requires more performance from the CPU and GPU (that's a fact you can take to the bank regardless of platform).

Some don't want change, what they have currently meets their needs ... but they do still want new 3rd party products.   So they can get a little worried when markets start to shift ... it's a natural defense as end users try to convince 3rd party which platform they should develop for.

Cheers, Rob.