Sign in to follow this  
arnava1304

Effects of Flight Simulation on Health

Hello!

Are there any doctors or anyone who sims for 4+ hours who can inform me of the health effects of simming. I have been told by many that video games in general can cause negative effects on the brain, but I have always figured that this is only relevant to games like Grand Theft Auto, in which the aim is to bash people's heads out.

On the contrary, I have heard that flightsim is good for mental development and is actually good for you. Of course, sitting in a dark room with six 99" LED TVs for eight hours can cause you to become physically inactive, but I am sure that 99.9% of us do not do that! Also, on the contrary to many sterotypes, I did some research and found that the most that optical displays can do is cause irritation to the eye! Can anyone confirm all of this? Doctors? Well informed simmers?

Thanks,

Arnav

pshawwwwwwwww

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

It affects my attitude. 

- I'm happy after a nice flight.

- I get grumpy if I don't get a sim flight in once in a while.

- I feel sad when FSX OOMs.

- I feel angry when FSX OOMs.

- I feel sleepy when my flight is just a little too long.

and most importantly...

- I get annoyed when my wife starts talking to me on short final. :lol:

• Upvote 1

Devin Pollock
CYOW

BetaTeamB.png

It's probably aviation that is Toxic:

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I found that it causes me to drink more......A LOT more! :P

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Thanks, you magnificent doctors!

It affects my attitude.

- I'm happy after a nice flight.

- I get grumpy if I don't get a sim flight in once in a while.

- I feel sad when FSX OOMs.

- I feel angry when FSX OOMs.

Couldn't agree more.

Hours of sitting has actually been in the news a lot recently, linked to an increased chance of death over time, even people who get regular exercise. I'm thinking about buying a sit/stand desk where I can actually raise it up so I can stand while working more frequently. Our bodies and physiology unfortunately didn't evolve to do what we like to do in the modern world...

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Violent games have negative effects on brain....

Flightsims have positive effects on brain...

But what if I play combat sims? Or fly with airplane in GTA? 

100% people who drink water and are exposed to oxygen, die!

I use an overhead laser projector for my flight sim sessions, and while that crisp panoramic floor-to-ceiling image does up the realism factor quite a bit, I found that I was beginning to develop eye strain from using that setup in a darkened room for too long of a time in one session, and so I learned to keep my simulator flights to less than one hour long, to keep that eye strain from setting in. 

Best regards from Tony, at the helm of the flying desk.

Hours of sitting has actually been in the news a lot recently, linked to an increased chance of death over time, even people who get regular exercise. I'm thinking about buying a sit/stand desk where I can actually raise it up so I can stand while working more frequently. Our bodies and physiology unfortunately didn't evolve to do what we like to do in the modern world...

Tabs is 100% correct.  Uninterrupted sitting for long periods of time is a problem.  Sit / stand desk is a great idea.  If you cannot get one you need to get up and walk around every 30 minutes.  

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Thanks for the replies, from what I understand, 1,000,000 hours is okay as long as you take frequent breaks.

The only time I've heard of video games affecting people negatively is if they have a history of epilepsy.  Screen flashing common in action games can set it off. 

I did some research and found that the most that optical displays can do is cause irritation to the eye!
Arnav

You'll never experience eye irritation if you calibrate your monitor/display properly.  You can buy calibration discs.  There are also online stuff to help you calibrate.

Not sure about physical health but can effect the health of your marriage if you spend too long on them! :)

• Upvote 1

Tabs is 100% correct.  Uninterrupted sitting for long periods of time is a problem.  Sit / stand desk is a great idea.  If you cannot get one you need to get up and walk around every 30 minutes.  

I saw this or a news story on this just a short while ago and couldn't help laughing that this actually was "news". What was their first clue that sitting on your butt all day might not be good for you...one does not have to study this stuff.  Anyone knows that exercise is generally good for you for crying out loud.

When moved from outdoor phyisical work to office work I worked hard at getting exercise in evenings, weekends etc.  When i worked all day in the office, I walked to my neighbours office (instead of emailing, phoning, I made an excuse of getting up and walking), I walked up and down many flights of stairs to visit someone to discuss something, never used the elevators, I did soft levels of exercise right in my office to stretch muscles...I have no idea what others do or are doing but good gravy this is not rocket science and standing at one's desk all day or for hours at a time is not actually a great idea for a long list of reasons...just get off your butt and exercise your muscles, including your eyes by changing focus lengths..ie look out the windows at distant objects once in a while.

And I have been simming for ever, I practice the same behaviors at home and my health is great and I do tons of computer work not just simming...I get out and hike, play golf, do home projects, mow lawns, rake leaves, gardening...just plain and simple....balance your activies.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3