Sign in to follow this  
arnava1304

Effects of Flight Simulation on Health

I saw this or a news story on this just a short while ago and couldn't help laughing that this actually was "news". What was their first clue that sitting on your butt all day might not be good for you...one does not have to study this stuff. Anyone knows that exercise is generally good for you for crying out loud.

In fairness, I think what may be "news" to some is that there are ill affects even if you are otherwise physically active and regularly exercise outside of the work environment.  The key, as you note, is to make sure you keep moving during your office day, but while this may be easy to do in your job, there are some workers who are almost literally chained to their desks during the day.  I'm thinking, for example, of call center workers who will pretty much be in their seats except for lunch and morning and afternoon breaks.  There are other workers who have similar constraints.

Sit/stand work areas such as Ryan mentions are becoming increasingly popular to allow workers some ability to move while continuing to work.

Scott

I imagine it's not as detrimental on your health as it is for real pilots, who spend huge amounts of time sitting down in a rarified atmosphere close to the ozone layer. Multiple time changes, jet lag, crappy crew food and multiple sectors will also all take their toll.

At least we can go for a walk in the garden whilst in the cruise, the real guys can't.

airline2sim_pilot_logo_360x.png?v=160882| Ben Weston www.airline2sim.com 

Hours of sitting has actually been in the news a lot recently, linked to an increased chance of death over time, even people who get regular exercise. I'm thinking about buying a sit/stand desk where I can actually raise it up so I can stand while working more frequently. Our bodies and physiology unfortunately didn't evolve to do what we like to do in the modern world...

I was actually going to say just about the same thing prior to you posting. I think being sedentary whether it's simming, working, or watching tv is the only thing that's really bad for you. Video games played in moderation have been know to build better hand/eye coordination and simming could be good for the brain since you have to use your head to think things through.

Probably the best course of action during long flights or times at the sim is to take a break every half hour and get up and walk around the house or make a trip up and down the stairs a few times if you have them.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

It affects my attitude. 

- I'm happy after a nice flight.

- I get grumpy if I don't get a sim flight in once in a while.

- I feel sad when FSX OOMs.

- I feel angry when FSX OOMs.

- I feel sleepy when my flight is just a little too long.

and most importantly...

- I get annoyed when my wife starts talking to me on short final. :lol:

Oh, I can relate to this 101%. You hit the bullseye!

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

Carpal tunnel

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

My wallet's health suffers more than mine. :rolleyes:

jime

Banner_MJC5.png

James D. Edwards

Their are people who sit at workstations for 60 to 80 hours a week working on major projects like for Pixar or Weta or even just programmers in huge corporation etc......4 hours of Flight Sim is nothing by comparison.

If you are flight simming for 60 to 80 hours a week then you are a nutter  :p0504:

Matthew Kane

The 777 release back in September 2013 and my subsequent purchase of a yoke put a crimp on my usual 20 miles of jogging each week.  I gained around 10-12 pounds from all that extra "cockpit time" a.k.a. sitting on my butt.  Fortunately, a few months later I got back down to my normal weight.  Auto cruise is a wonderful thing.

Chris Sunseri

It's cost me a few girlfriends which then effected my health. I'd have them round, do the business and want to get rid of them so I could do a quick flight before work etc etc.

I learnt quickly there's more to life than flightsims

It's cost me a few girlfriends which then effected my health. I'd have them round, do the business and want to get rid of them so I could do a quick flight before work etc etc.

I learnt quickly there's more to life than flightsims

14ppkc-6.png

Baahaaa this is about the funniest thing I have ever heard. 

I always thought that after business time and someone was overly chatty the best line was "Um, aren't those your shoes over there?" just to get rid of them so you can sleep but......for flight sim time????

Matthew Kane

I jog 5k every other morning 05:45 in the week. Weights on the other days in my multigym in my garage. 5 aside (soccer) on a wednesday night and a 10k or bike ride with the boys at the weekend to keep fit.

Got a 6 month old little girl and squeeze a short haul in whilst she settles (dummy in and out) then down to spend time with the mrs (she looks after baby all day) and thats how ive found best to balance it all!

I jog 5k every other morning 05:45 in the week. Weights on the other days in my multigym in my garage. 5 aside (soccer) on a wednesday night and a 10k or bike ride with the boys at the weekend to keep fit.
Got a 6 month old little girl and squeeze a short haul in whilst she settles (dummy in and out) then down to spend time with the mrs (she looks after baby all day) and thats how ive found best to balance it all!

:o  You are not human  :o

Haha, i love it mate. It makes me feel better so i work better in my job (in aviation too :) ) and i get to see and do all the things i love

I swim laps which feels like flying. I follow the black line just like the plane follows the magenta line, hahaha. 

:P Timothy Murphy

Our bodies and physiology unfortunately didn't evolve to do what we like to do in the modern world...

Maybe that should be 'haven't yet evolved'?  Though admittedly it is a slow process. ;-)

Joking aside.  It is not a very healthy hobby really, is it?  I fight 'flight sim belly' by exercising regularly and only eating real food - as opposed to processed McS---.

Right, off out to freeze my butt off and fight the fat :-)

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)