Sign in to follow this  
Rimshot

Installing the Garmin GNS530/430

Hi,

Last Saturday I purchased the GNS530.430 package. I have e-mailed a question about the installation that day but I haven't gotten an answer yet, so I'll post it here as well:

There’s a rather important part of the installation that I don’t get unfortunately and I can’t find the undoubtedly simple solution anywhere. So basically my question is: where do I install the software? The installer suggests the path c:\program files (x86)\Mindstar\Flight Simulator Addons or a folder of my choice. I decided to install in the folder c:\FS Programs\Mindstar\GNS. So far so good, the software is installed to this location and I could activate the software online. But where to go from there? Do I have to manually copy files over to my Prepar3d gauges directory? Or should I have installed into Prepar3d directly? I assume the have to reside within the simulator directory so you’ll be able to add the Garmins to the panel.cg files of aircraft.
Furthermore, when I entered the online activation screen the software didn’t detect any simulator. But I do have Prepar3d v2.4 and FSX Steam edition installed… Could this be a problem?

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

Hi Rimshot

Yes, I've also experienced no reply on support questions (mail and phone), but when I got a hold of them on Skype they were very helpful.

You shouldn't need to copy over anything to your gauge folder (assuming the mindstar installer found your p3d directory.)

Check inside your p3d gauge folder if you have MPI_GNS.gau and MPI_CDIGauge.gau.

Are you trying to implement in any virtual cockpit or just a window?

Do you have any A2A aircrafts (spesifically the c172)?

1. In that case you will have to go into your simobjects\airplanes\A2A_C172

2. Check to see if you have .mpi_gns430 and 530 both texture and panel folders.

3. Go into your A2A_C172 panel folder

4. Copy the two dll's from that folder and paste it into both the panel.mpi.430 and 530 folder.

5. Go back to your A2A_C172 panel folder and copy the full content of the subfolder A2A_C172 

6. Paste inside same folder on your mpi.430 and 530 folder.

7. Doubble check that you have a GPS_MINDSTAR txt file in there already. Dont delte this.

Now when you load p3d and select a plane, choose either the A2A with Mindstar 430 or 530

Thomas

Bert,

I find no email in our support system with your name attached. Did you send your email to support or some other email address?

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Hi Rimshot

Yes, I've also experienced no reply on support questions (mail and phone), but when I got a hold of them on Skype they were very helpful.

You shouldn't need to copy over anything to your gauge folder (assuming the mindstar installer found your p3d directory.)

Check inside your p3d gauge folder if you have MPI_GNS.gau and MPI_CDIGauge.gau.

Thanks Thomas. It appeared I overlooked the fact the package has to be installed for all users. At first I installed it only fo me. I reinstalled for all users and now I have the two gauges in my Prepar3d gauges folder.

Bert,

I find no email in our support system with your name attached. Did you send your email to support or some other email address?

Ed, thanks for getting back to me here. I tried to contact Mindstar at the following e-mailadress: support at MindstarAviation dot com. I have successfully used this address before, so I have no idea what went wrong this time. Anyway, my issue is solved  :smile:

I do have one other question though. When using one or both of your GNS gauges in both the VC and as a pop up, will the pop up appear after clicking the unit in the VC? If not, how can I accomplish this?

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

It is possible, but you have to configure the panel correctly and that varies by addon creator. What works for Carenado isn't working for A2A... etc.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

With regards to the A2A Cherokee is the process the same as the A2A 172? I do have the MPI_GNS.gau and MPI_CDIGauge.gau already in the gauges folder of P3d v2 from installing the GNS software. So far so good but I cant find either the .mpi_gns430 or 530 texture and panel folders in my p3d v2 airplane/sim object/A2a Cherokee folder.

A step by step for setting up the Mindstar 430 in the Cherokee VC panel would really be appreciated.

Thanks

Look... we don't go around purchasing every addon aircraft made and figure out how to do the installation. Don't have the time and I'm certainly not rich.

You might want to check with A2A regarding the compatibility and how to install it into the VC.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Hi Mikced76

If you search the A2A forum you will find ways of implementing either 430 or 530 into the Cherokee,

However I've tried several methods (like creating the empty rxpGNS.dll ++ as described on the A2A forum),

but non of the methods have worked great. Hopefully A2A will update the Cherokee to the same degree of

compatibility with Mindstar as the C182 (and 172 for that matter).

In any case do remember to backup your folder as with all the tweaking it might be good to have a restore point :)

WarpD: This is not to start an discussion, but as A2A are the one of the most popular (and realistic) GA aircraft for both P3d AND FSX it wouldn't hurt to have a some way of "sharing" known working profiles for the aircrafts. As you say, you don't purchase every addon out there, but if customers or Mindstar have a way of sharing these files it would save both your time/money and your customers.

This great product deserves to be in all p3d/fsx GA flight-decks :)

----

Thomas Pedersen

Well I believe it is a fair question and I figured it was one you might have been asked in the past and possibly had a solution to from experience from such a big addon developer as A2A. Especially since the process should (from what I understand) be somewhat similar no matter what addon aircraft you have?

So it basically comes down to you charging me for a product and you dont even want to bother with any form of support? Great way to bulid customer satisfaction! As a side not, I also onw the Flight1 GTN750 and those guys actually want to try and help!! Any refund possible?

Mike     

Well I believe it is a fair question and I figured it was one you might have been asked in the past and possibly had a solution to from experience from such a big addon developer as A2A. Especially since the process should (from what I understand) be somewhat similar no matter what addon aircraft you have?

So it basically comes down to you charging me for a product and you dont even want to bother with any form of support? Great way to bulid customer satisfaction! As a side not, I also onw the Flight1 GTN750 and those guys actually want to try and help!! Any refund possible?

Mike

First, I didn't say it wasn't a fair question. I simply pointed out that we can't purchase every single aircraft addon made and come up with ways to install. If anyone here has added it to the aircraft's VC... it's not for us to say because we simply don't know. Nor are they required to share such information if they don't desire to.

Mindstar has been working with A2A to integrate our 430/530 gauges into all of their products , and I believe since the aircraft are their product they would be the best source for support of how to place a gauge into their product, not me. Without the physical addon I can't tell you how to place the gauge into the VC. It's just not possible. Anything I offered would be completely made up. So... I chose to send you to those who truly could answer your question... and that offended you. Perhaps what I have offered in terms of support isn't what you want me to do, but it is support. It's honest and fair and it looks out for your best interests in that I'm trying to ensure you get the right answers, the first time.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Looking out for my best interest? ...My best interest is knowing how to use your product! I understand you cant buy every addon to test, what you say in that regard makes sense but your product does not even come with a manual. A support page with various addon setups would make sense dont you think, I mean Reality XP did. You wouldnt even need to purchase every addon yourself but you could include answers from people who got it to work with this or that addon, thats customer service!

Hopefully someone from this great community can help me even if you can not.

Mike