Sign in to follow this  
MD11Captain

3rd Party Livery results in broken cockpit

Hi everyone,

After installing the old style Emirates livery from the Avsim library, I've been unable to use it. Whilst my base installation, including the PMDG house livery and other liveries downloaded through the operations centre continue to work fine, when I load the old Emirates livery, I have a number of issues. Whilst the textures load perfectly onto the external model and result in no visual artefacts, in the cockpit, the control column is stuck fully aft and to the left, nothing is clickable, all DUs, the ISFD and MCDUs are blank. Meanwhile, externally, the gear is retracted and the aircraft just floats above the ground. There is also no sound.

I installed the livery by copying the file into the same folder as the PMDG Operations Centre application and installed it with the green '+' button within the application.

My system specs (should they be relevant) are:

i5 4670k (@4.6 GHz/1.430v)

GTX 770 DCII (BIOS/voltage hacked @1.325v/1380MHz)

Asus Z87-WS

8GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3 2133MHz/C10 latency

2 x Intel 240GB 730 series SSDs (in RAID 0) - FSX found here...

3 x 2TB WD Red Pro in RAID 5 running off LSI RAID controller

Asus Xonar Essence STX

Running Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit

I can't think of anything obvious that I could have done wrong, but thought I'd ask here before pestering PMDG (not that I have any particular conscience concerning getting technical support for a product that cost $90, but nevertheless).

Thanks for your help,

Kind regards,

Charlie Reed

Charlie Reed

i9 9900K | 32GB RAM | RTX 3090

Try submitting a support ticket, including your licence info in that ticket as proof of purchase.

Okay, thanks, they're always very helpful, it just takes a little longer than on a forum to get a response. I just thought someone here might have had a similar issue, as I had a similar problem with the NGX a couple of years ago and the only way I could fix it was with a full reinstall; I'd just rather avoid that as I've added Kai Tak to my navigation database and that's a bit of a fiddle to redo.

Kind regards,

Charlie Reed

Charlie Reed

PMDG don't do support via the forum (unless it's something very minor, is my understanding) due to software piracy and the need for customers to provide proof of ownership. I'd say that a short delay in receiving support is worth it given the quality of the support we all receive from PMDG.

Remove the livery and see if problem is resolved. If not, run the installer and select REPAIR.  PMDG will probably politely advise you that they do not support third part add-ons, and you should communicate with the provider of that item.

Dan Downs KCRP

PMDG don't do support via the forum (unless it's something very minor, is my understanding) due to software piracy and the need for customers to provide proof of ownership. I'd say that a short delay in receiving support is worth it given the quality of the support we all receive from PMDG.

It's more the fact that it's a lot more efficient for someone to submit a ticket and have it tracked than to lose it in the forum among all of the other posts. Plus, that would require us to potentially read a bunch of threads, and each post in the thread to get an idea of what the issue might be.

I'd compare it to trying to figure out someone's issue by walking up halfway through their conversation in a coffee shop (forum), versus having them send you a direct message with the problem from the outset (ticket system). Which one would be easier? The latter, clearly. The forum is here to allow users to help each other, and otherwise discuss their experiences, along with interact with the team in an open environment.

Kyle Rodgers

PMDG don't do support via the forum (unless it's something very minor, is my understanding)

I'm fully aware of that, I was just asking to see if someone in the community had faced a similar problem; I thought that I've experienced something similar before, when using third party liveries for the 737NGX, somebody may know a solution.

It's more the fact that it's a lot more efficient for someone to submit a ticket and have it tracked than to lose it in the forum among all of the other posts. Plus, that would require us to potentially read a bunch of threads, and each post in the thread to get an idea of what the issue might be.

I'm not disputing either the quality, expedience or efficiency of PMDG's customer support. I'm just trying not to waste their time or mine, should there be a known solution to what I assume isn't a particularly rare problem, given even I've had it once before, albeit with the 737NGX.

As it happens, I tried uninstalling the livery and reinstalling it, but this time running the Operations Centre as an administrator. Whilst I don't usually have to do this to get liveries to work, this time it was necessary, and now I'm looking forward to flying an Emirates 777-200LR in old colours into Kai Tak with the custom AIRAC. I can't wait for the weekend!

Kind regards,

Charlie Reed

Charlie Reed

I'm not disputing either the quality, expedience or efficiency of PMDG's customer support. I'm just trying not to waste their time or mine, should there be a known solution to what I assume isn't a particularly rare problem, given even I've had it once before, albeit with the 737NGX.

I know you weren't. I was specifically addressing Matthew's post, which is why I quoted his and not one of yours.

but this time running the Operations Centre as an administrator.

Always, always, always run programs as an admin if you want them to behave. This is particularly important when said programs have to make adjustments to other files, which is hugely important with FSX and our products.

Kyle Rodgers