Sign in to follow this  
Bjoern

Freeware Sky Textures Comparison

Fancied a different sky texture and needed a direct comparison between the ones I have saved on my storage drive. Didn't want to let the screenshots go to waste, so I'm uploading them here. Someone might find them handy. Or not.

(Don't ask how a Caravan got this high.)

1) Very high altitude

FSX default

YFCH8KJ.png

Gabriel Rodrigues' sky textures (Avsim library)

qMholKv.png

Explor Environment (Flightsim?)

ZZiJLsl.png

HDE v2 for FSX (Avsim library? Flightsim?)

F1ilI9v.png

John Cillis' Soft Horizons (Avsim library)

jVoQcNz.png

2) Typical airliner altitude

FSX default

ROvgJqr.png

Gabriel Rodrigues' sky textures

FHUrSDm.png

Explor Environment

CVSIw9h.png

HDEv2 for FSX

AKlM2g3.png

John Cillis' Soft Horizons

xHrrIBf.png

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

Why does the ground change so much?

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Probably a weather engine thing. Shouldn't have tested with FSXWX, but with a default theme for consistent results. Same for the cloud layer shading.

Well, the last three look like they have the same weather so I guess it surprises me that the ground would appear differently in them.  Perhaps FSX makes adjustments due to overall light.  For myself, I prefer the ones that don't make the ground so dark.  Seems more like daylight in the others.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

The cloud lighting also shows some subtle differences between the single texture packages.

I've settled for Explor Environment in the end. A bit darker than the default textures and it retains the darkness at very high altitudes.

Dark side/light side lighting in the sim is controlled by the first two pixels in the upper left corner of each sky texture. Different sky textures could easily make dramatic differences in the appearance of ground textures.

If I know you Bjoern you're gonna want to have a play so here's the ole sky texture diagram! :smile:

environment_pixels.jpg

(If you happen to have a copy of GEPro for FS9 you can customize a set of sky textures by editing these pixels via graphical interface, the result will work in FSX if you convert them from 24 to 32 bit)

*Chuckle*

Probably not.

My brain is already overloaded with FSX-specific stuff. One more thing to play around with and learn about and I might suffer a stroke. :lol:

Nice comparison. Where did you find the Explor Environment textures? Do you have a link for DL?

When I look at these, while I think the John Collis's has the most realistic ground...maybe the most realistic sky as well.  I think it would be cool if an app would automatically swtich the sky textures before starting FSX...especially dawn and dusk textures.  These times of day vary quite a bit in real life.

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

Nice comparison. Where did you find the Explor Environment textures? Do you have a link for DL?

I got it from Flightsim five years ago or so and it's neither in their library nor can a download be found by Google. Weird.

Here's a new freeware sky texture and sun set, courtesy of Navid Hashemi: http://navidh.se/misc.html

My previous configuration (Explor Environment plus Gabriel Rodriguez' sun mod) on the left; Navid's mods on the right.

Note: I did not touch the camera and set time of day to the defauls from the menu (dawn, mid day, etc...) to keep things consistent. Cloud placement is randomized every time you start FSX.

vfWVqBG.jpg

• Like 1

Since Explor Environment X is - for whatever reason - nowhere to be found anymore, I've uploaded it to Mediafire.

Notes:

1. All credit goes to Adrien Jubert, the original author.

2. The original download from Flightsim was 7 parts, but I've combined it into a single archive.

3. Archive is in .7z format and requires 7zip to unpack. (http://www.7-zip.org/)

4. There is no readme. Be smart and do backups before you install this.

5. Will obviously overwrite REX and other payware add-ons of the same kind when installed.

6. EEX is provided as-is. Adrien has disappeared from the flightsim world and I'm only hosting his work. No complaints, no requests; love it or leave it.

Link:

https://www.mediafire.com/?7yf68u0uozu8suy

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for the comparison and for sharing Adrien Jubert's textures, which I haven't seen before. :) I'm going to try those out.

I liked Navid's set, but I found the lighting in the day time/afternoon textures a bit too blue. The dark side of objects has a very noticeable blue tint. The dawn/dusk textures are really good, though.