Sign in to follow this  
Bjoern

Freeware Sky Textures Comparison

I liked Navid's set, but I found the lighting in the day time/afternoon textures a bit too blue. The dark side of objects has a very noticeable blue tint. The dawn/dusk textures are really good, though.

This is the exact same thing I was thinking when trying them. I like EEX because of the darkness at altitude without the "glow" of the default textures, but I think a simple adjustment of the highlighting on Navid's day textures (see post #8 by Jim) would work as well.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

I've been meaning to give editing the sky textures a try myself, but I'm worried I'll get sucked into hours of tweaking as I tend to do. :P

I think I may have found my new favorite texture set though with the Explor Environment set... they look extremely natural to me, and give a slightly more even lighting to the clouds compared to HDE v2's more extreme light/dark:

QHM4g9v.jpg

HIwYIJy.jpg

If I know you Bjoern you're gonna want to have a play so here's the ole sky texture diagram! :smile:

environment_pixels.jpg

(If you happen to have a copy of GEPro for FS9 you can customize a set of sky textures by editing these pixels via graphical interface, the result will work in FSX if you convert them from 24 to 32 bit)

This image isn't totally accurate, actually.

Not for FSX and FS9, at least. But it's good to explain the point. Yes, illumination, shadow, fog and haze etc. are all related to the sky texture.

By the way, one of the things that bothers me in my own set is how it appears at very high altitudes. There's a reason for doing it the way I did... but still bothers me. :P

And Navid's mod is really well made!

Hi Folks,

Great comparisons - thanks for the effort...

Are the files from FS9/FSX/P3D all the same format to color the skies - meaning are they interchangeable ???

Thanks...

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7