Sign in to follow this  
mwilk

Weather generator

Skymaxx Pro and UltraWRX doesn't a decent job at generating weather. It's not on part with ASN but its nto bad either.

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

The weather in X-Plane I think needs more options, at present it only has 3 cloud layers, so maybe if they improve this in future releases, we'll see some really powerful weather injectors.

To improve the weather in X-Plane, I think they need to start by getting rid of those 3 cloud layers. It feels like a legacy design from the early versions that had to simplify the weather modeling. Get rid of the 3 layers completely, and then they might be able to model a right nasty Cumulonimbus incus (anvil cloud thunderstorm), which isn't something split into three layers. It's a single vertical system.

In the current design, this has to be faked, and it isn't faked very well. My biggest disappointment with the weather in X-Plane is that it fails to model real storms like this, which are exactly the kind of thing we're supposed to avoid as hazards to aviation.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

To improve the weather in X-Plane, I think they need to start by getting rid of those 3 cloud layers. It feels like a legacy design from the early versions that had to simplify the weather modeling. Get rid of the 3 layers completely, and then they might be able to model a right nasty Cumulonimbus incus (anvil cloud thunderstorm), which isn't something split into three layers. It's a single vertical system.

In the current design, this has to be faked, and it isn't faked very well. My biggest disappointment with the weather in X-Plane is that it fails to model real storms like this, which are exactly the kind of thing we're supposed to avoid as hazards to aviation.

Strongly agree. Actually does anyone know if it's even possible to make these changes in the XP10 engine or basically are we going to have to wait until XP11?

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea