Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

Dovetail's initiative ...

Dovetail's initiative brought me FSX back, gave me a stable sim so far, I am able to use, now, all of my

add-ons with the only exception of ASN, but I know HifiTech will soon sort it out :-)

Steam, a platform I very reluctantly adhered to for the first time to buy MS FLIGHT DLCs, and latter Aerofly FS 

and even il2-CloD, is a great game support platform, makes everything so easy and smooth as silk, that I didn't

really have to think twice about buying FSX-SE.

The upcoming DLCs, starting with the recently announced "Dangerous Approaches" are certainly on my to-buy list 

because I am sure some of them will give me great times, and be even more challenging and elaborate than those

missions I loved to fly in MS FLIGHT, or simply chasing Aerocaches. That was part of the thrill MS FLIGHT gave me

just as some default missions that came with FSX Acceleration Pack, long ago.

I really think that if Dovetail and Steam manage to bring new simmers to our community, interested in Civil Aviation,

this sort of adventures will be a great way to give them a first insight into what FSX-SE, and whatever Dovetail

is up to bring us in the future, cane really be as a flight simulation platform.

Most "hardcore" simmers easily forget about their first steps, sometimes decades ago, when they started using MSFS,

ATP, Propilot, Fly!, ...   They wanted something more complex, more in the line of the kind of simming sessions 

they now play, using complex aircraft, following SOPs, using online ATC and whatever can make ( so they think ) 

their simmer experiences as close as possible to RW aircraft operations, but we should not forget about those

many prospective simmers who have to start with something. Starting with adventures, even with some Aviation History 

making part of their content, or didactic approaches to important aspects of how to fly an aircraft, navigate, 

co-exist with other aircraft in a crowded airspace and or deal with adverse weather, is certainly a very

good approach, IMHO.

Kudos to Dovetail Games and Steam!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Well said, a whole new market & potential devs out there. Great for our hobby.. :-)

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

I hope you enjoy Dangerous Approaches! I have certainly had a great time flying the missions. I just landed at Papa Westray in a rainstorm as I write this and do a final test of the mission pack before release and I am still having a blast!

Jane

- Jane Whittaker

Dangerous approaches? Is this an addon for FSX? Must give it a try.....

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

Thx for the followup Jane :-)

I'm eager to try it too ;-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Dangerous approaches? Is this an addon for FSX? Must give it a try.....

it is Pete, I have an article discussing it on FSX Insider being posted today. I will share the link

Nice +ve Update, Jane.

hey Rick, Haven't seen you in ages. I hope you are doing well. I kept your note, it meant a lot!

- Jane Whittaker

Keep us in touch Jane!

Looking fwd for that link from FSX Insider!

Main Simulation Rig:

Keep us in touch Jane!

Looking fwd for that link from FSX Insider!

will do! I will post the link as soon as I have it, as hopefully it will answer people's questions.

- Jane Whittaker

I kept your note, it meant a lot!

Given the privacy of it-----you'll know what I'm referring to----I did not mention it, but so, so good to see you back active, and shipshape. Took a copy of your tutorials with me on the long Emirates 777-300ER flights UK-UAE-Australia. Keep up the sterling stuff you write up about.

All The Best.

Regards

FSX-SE is great, on my aging computer (i7 920, GTX580 & 12 Gb Ram) with all sliders maxed with the exception of Traffic at 20% my FPS jump between aprox 60 to 160 over rural France in the default Maule using REX texture & Soft Clouds, Orbx Global, Vector & Europe LC (I which I could remember how to show the average FPS). The only thing I'm short of is ASN.

It's interesting that the Texture Max Load is set to 4096 by default, you would think that using REX HD clouds would slow everything down.

Ian  

he only thing I'm short of is ASN.

Tested the latest beta last night - WHOW!!!  I used the PMDG 777, and experienced that great looking weather radar  too ;-)

I can assure you - it is worth the wait :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Is it in open beta yet?  There's no doubt that ASN is the best weather engine on the market.

Ian

And this has to do with the topic of this forum?

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

And this has to do with the topic of this forum?

Yes, since it's on the Positive side of the talk. A Positive comment on another great product, soon fully FSX-SE compatible ....  Am I wrong ?

Main Simulation Rig: