Sign in to follow this  
nhagag

Pentagon picks new Air Force One plane

Why do they need 8 to replace 2?  B)

I wonder if they will be 3D-printed like the money to pay for them? Just wondering. 

What a surprise, 747-8.  :lol:

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

I wonder if they will be 3D-printed like the money to pay for them? Just wondering. 

Obama wore out the older one. 

Pentagon doesn't like ETOPS then...... :P

Obama wore out the older one. 

Naw, Bush wore it out looooong before Obama was president.

NAX669.png

In Britain we have austerity so our Government's just chosen our Prime Ministerial fleet replacement ;-

Two old Piper Tomahawks, and a Cessna 150.

Dave Cameron at the controls of his new C150 earlier today.

Cessna-150-230x150.jpg

Picture courtesy of Fox News - so it's definitely true.

:lol:

In Britain we have austerity so our Government's just chosen our Prime Ministerial fleet replacement ;-

Two old Piper Tomahawks, and a Cessna 150.

Dave Cameron at the controls of his new C150 earlier today.

Cessna-150-230x150.jpg

Picture courtesy of Fox News - so it's definitely true.

:lol:

Now that's funny!

NAX669.png

The Air Force currently has three of the -4's so it would make sense that they would order three of the -8's.

Are they going to keep the C-32's (757) flying or are they replacing them as well

Matthew Kane

I doubt the C-32's will be retiring anytime soon.  I was stationed in Northern Japan when they were shaking the cobwebs off of em back around 1998 before going into service with VIP's.  All kinds of Space-A seats available to and from the states for a couple of weeks I remember.

I did have the pleasure of flying on the C-32's twice during my military career for duty.  We weren't Air Force One, but rather second fiddle as Air Force Two on both flights (hard to guess who else was onboard :lol:).  Boy you talk about first class, I was treated like a king!!

Chris Sunseri

They aren't, they are only buying two 747-800 aircraft. The -800 is much larger capacity than the ancient -200 version.

The reason for replacement is simply one of age. The current 747-200 aircraft will be 30 years old by the time the replacements are ready in 2017, and according to the Pentagon, parts are getting hard to come by.

Have the folks replying in this thread actually read the linked article? From some of the comments, apparently not!

Nota bene: emphasis below is mine

The two Boeing 747-200 planes that the President currently uses will reach the end of their 30-year service life in 2017, and according to The Wall Street Journal, the U.S. Air Force has set aside $1.65 billion between 2015 and 2019 for two replacement jets.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator