Sign in to follow this  
camadidu

AA and full-screen problems with DX10

What you see on the screen is a series of shapes which are drawn and filed in with textures.

Antialiasing operates on the edges of the shapes so in your external picture the top edge of the fuselage against the scenery is smoothed as you add antialiasing. Similarly in the cockpit picture the edge of the window frame is smoothed as you add AA.

Basic Antialiasing does not operate inside the textures. So in the picture the Iberia text on the aircraft is unchanged as AA is turned on and off and similarly in the cockpit the gauges (and lines within them) are not antialiased because they are textures.

Improvements inside textures can be obtained in two ways.

MipMapping - creates a set of smaller versions of textures so a suitably sized one is always available. A gauge texture might be 128x128 on your screen it might be 50x40 and on mine 75x60. Without mipmaps FSX has got to downscale the texture in real time. Now its drawing 30 frames a second with perhaps 1500 objects which doesn't lead to much quality. Mipmappinghelps because the operation is done once and therefore can be done with much more quality.

Supersampling. This is often described as rendering to a bigger screen and downscaling.

In order to improve the quality of the dials you need to ensure that super sampling is turned on. Since people have already told you to do this I presume (perhaps wrongly) that RadeonPro cannot control this for some reason and have suggested that you try CCC instead.

You may also be able to get some improvement by mipmapping the aircraft textures if they are not already mipmapped. However note that mipmapping will not work with displays where the texture is built dynamically such as a GPS as there is no texture to mipmap - for these supersampling is the only way.

I give up . No matter what I try, I can't get the ATI Radeon HD 7670M SSAA to work with FSX DX10. I will try again, but I don't think it will work. It seems I will have to run DX9 until I change to a new computer with a Nvidia card--and it won't be any time soon.

I give up . No matter what I try, I can't get the ATI Radeon HD 7670M SSAA to work with FSX DX10. I will try again, but I don't think it will work. It seems I will have to run DX9 until I change to a new computer with a Nvidia card--and it won't be any time soon.

Try my standard recipe:

Don't run Radeon Pro.

Delete any FSX profile you have in CCC.

Set the Gaming/3D Application Settings/System Settings in CCC to default

and then just set AA mode to Supersampling and turn off Surface Format Optimization.

Don't change anything else in CCC.

In FSX Settings make sure Anti-Alias is ticked on, Anisotropic filtering selected and

DX10 Preview is ticked.

Set water Low 2.x.

In Steve's Senery Fixer set DX10 Anti Aliasing to 4x and see how things look.

If the trees are shimmering you might have to go right up to 8EQ.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Try my standard recipe:

Don't run Radeon Pro.

Delete any FSX profile you have in CCC.

Set the Gaming/3D Application Settings/System Settings in CCC to default

and then just set AA mode to Supersampling and turn off Surface Format Optimization.

Don't change anything else in CCC.

In FSX Settings make sure Anti-Alias is ticked on, Anisotropic filtering selected and

DX10 Preview is ticked.

Set water Low 2.x.

In Steve's Senery Fixer set DX10 Anti Aliasing to 4x and see how things look.

If the trees are shimmering you might have to go right up to 8EQ.

gb.

I'll try that. Let's see how it works. Thanks for your help. :-)

I have given up aswell. I can't manage to get the shimmers to go away or get a descent AA. Wasted 29 bucks but oh well.

I have given up aswell. I can't manage to get the shimmers to go away or get a descent AA. Wasted 29 bucks but oh well.

What video card are you using?

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

also what is shimmering? and what AA have you selected? Do you have multiple displays?

I see from your profile that you have prepar3d there shouldn't be much change in settings between the two.

Still I have this problem till now , even though i can't use P3D due to DX11 not working with my card properly (AMD 7670M) , because of Dynamic Switching :(