Sign in to follow this  
mr340

How do you recover from a bounce landing ?

I thought of that but i was landing at a very short runway , so i had to put her down

Even more of a reason to go around!

Gavin Price

My uncle always had great advice.  One thing I remember him telling me is the angle of descent is not really an issue. He said he could do the same landing shallow or steep descent. If the speed is right at the flare, it will touch down and stay down every time!!

This is why naval pilots land on carriers using AOA and not IAS. Optimum AOA is always the same.

Here is interesting quote from Aerosoft F14X manual:

The accuracy provided by the AOA Indicator is much greater than that of a conventional (i.e. non-HUD) airspeed indicator. Compared to a standard “steam gauge” airspeed indicator, a Naval Aviator can maintain optimum airspeed to within a knot or two by using AOA. Moreover, while the optimum airspeed for an approach will change according to weight, the optimum AOA will always remain the same for a given configuration.

Lukasz

Lukasz Kulasek

i7-8700k, RTX 2080 TI, 32 GB RAM, ASUS TUF Z370-PRO Gaming, Oculus Rift CV1

Actually, real aircraft don't "bounce". Lift a C172 by crane to 30 ft off the ground and drop it, it wont bounce, it will "splat". In reality, a bounce is pilot induced oscillation. The guy hits the ground too hard, gets a fright and jerks back on the stick, the plane jumps into the air. That gives him another fright and in his determination to land he pushes forward and smites the ground again. Or if he is good enough he can stop his oscillations and simply freeze on the stick the moment the wheels touch. Then the bounce is stopped and the aircraft has landed.

Jonathan "FRAG" Bleeker

Formerly known here as "Narutokun"

If I speak for my company without permission the boss will nail me down. So unless otherwise specified...Im just a regular simmer who expresses his personal opinion

Actually, real aircraft don't "bounce". Lift a C172 by crane to 30 ft off the ground and drop it, it wont bounce, it will "splat". In reality, a bounce is pilot induced oscillation. The guy hits the ground too hard, gets a fright and jerks back on the stick, the plane jumps into the air. That gives him another fright and in his determination to land he pushes forward and smites the ground again. Or if he is good enough he can stop his oscillations and simply freeze on the stick the moment the wheels touch. Then the bounce is stopped and the aircraft has landed.

What????

You don't land an aircraft at the same vertical speed as an object dropped from 30ft, of course it would go splat!

The rest of you post is not worth even replying too.

Bouncing in an A320 in bad weather is very common.  Defining a bounced landing is not easy, if you mean a large bounce into the air ie 10- 20 ft etc, then you are doing something very wrong, or in my experience, the turbulence suimulation (especially ASN) with all addon or default weather generators is simply terrible.

A bounce like that can be recovered if you have airspeed and runway to play with, otherwise go around.  For smaller bounces you can simply flare as normal and let the aircraft settle onto the runway.

-Iain Watson-

It all depends on the nature of the bounce. If it is heavy then firewall the throttles and go around. If a light bounce don't try to raise or lower the nose. Keep it as is and the a/c will settle. In this case if you lower the nose there is a high risk of the nosewheel touching first when the a/c returns to Earth. That you don't want. If you raise the nose then you'll have at least another bounce. Small bounces of a couple of feet or so are commonplace and this is the prescribed technique. Be aware thar bounced landings will considerably shorten the available runway for stopping. On a windy day fly the a/c right onto the ground. On a wet day if you bounce then it's almost a certain go around. In these cases you need to develop a good technique as "positive" landings are required!

Even more of a reason to go around!

Yea i know . But i got tired of always arriving 12 minutes late with FS Captain lol. I kept scoring 80+ when arriving late and if the landing was hard even lower.

It all depends on the nature of the bounce. If it is heavy then firewall the throttles and go around. If a light bounce don't try to raise or lower the nose. Keep it as is and the a/c will settle. In this case if you lower the nose there is a high risk of the nosewheel touching first when the a/c returns to Earth. That you don't want. If you raise the nose then you'll have at least another bounce. Small bounces of a couple of feet or so are commonplace and this is the prescribed technique. Be aware thar bounced landings will considerably shorten the available runway for stopping. On a windy day fly the a/c right onto the ground. On a wet day if you bounce then it's almost a certain go around. In these cases you need to develop a good technique as "positive" landings are required!

Nice!! I did that an it work with the A320. When i was about to land the aircraft bounce a little i made slightly any changes only to manually use the throttle

There's no way to really recover from a bounced landing. I guess you can make sure the speed brakes are fully deployed and get the weight stabilized, but that won't make the situation anymore pleasant. I've heard captains say they hide in the cockpit when passengers deboard. lol. But that's not really recovering... just sparing humiliation. It's something you need to avoid by nailing your Vref and flare altitude correctly, unless it's icing conditions and you use Vref +ice but even then only within a 5kt range of Vref. You also need to be in ground effect when you flare. 30ft is too high, so the plane doesn't have enough air pressure between it and the ground to continuously maintain high angle of attack without dropping down hard and fast. You should be flaring at 10-15ft per the manual (the NGX specifically) that will help maintain lift through the flare maneuver and put you down gently. It's still reliant on speed though because speed partially decides lift. If you come in too fast you'll have too much energy and float in ground effect till a GA is the only option... or if you're too slow you won't have enough lift in ground effect to increase your angle of attack at all, so instead of flaring you'll just run out of lift and drop.  

15 -10Ft i guest i never knew that about the NGX thanks. At 30Ft  i  normally won't flare the aircraft right away, i would just try to slow my rate of decent an try to establish  my VREF right before touch down.

Mr Leny

CPU I7 8700K @ 5.0GHz , MOBO -Asus Maximus X Hero (WiFi AC),GPU - GTX1080 TI , RAM - CORSAIR Vengeance RGB 16GB DDR4 3600MHz
SSD -Crucial MX500 1TB (P3D Install Only)
OS- Samsung 960 EVO 500GB (Window 10 Pro 64)

I know all about bounces, PIO, and how many days it takes to tear apart an airplane for trailering..............afterwards... :)

At least little planes will bounce, from either being too slow, and dropping in, or possibly too fast, and touching down nose wheel first. Adding power to fly out of it, is usually a good solution, even if the bounce seemed of no consequence.

FS Captain shouldn't penalize you for arriving late. In the real world it's all about an on time departure, not arrivals ;)

Reik Namreg

FS Captain shouldn't penalize you for arriving late. In the real world it's all about an on time departure, not arrivals ;)

That is really true, because even bad weather can cause a late arrival. An pilots have no control over nature, bad weather can come up any minute.

I know all about bounces, PIO, and how many days it takes to tear apart an airplane for trailering..............afterwards... :)

At least little planes will bounce, from either being too slow, and dropping in, or possibly too fast, and touching down nose wheel first. Adding power to fly out of it, is usually a good solution, even if the bounce seemed of no consequence.

You are talking about GA aircraft right ?

Mr Leny

CPU I7 8700K @ 5.0GHz , MOBO -Asus Maximus X Hero (WiFi AC),GPU - GTX1080 TI , RAM - CORSAIR Vengeance RGB 16GB DDR4 3600MHz
SSD -Crucial MX500 1TB (P3D Install Only)
OS- Samsung 960 EVO 500GB (Window 10 Pro 64)

There are actual procedures for a bounced landing. Meaning you touched down and the airplane became airborne again. As other pointed out, you must ensure you are on the appropriate speed. Most touch downs should occur no less than ref minus 5. The procedure in two of the jets I flew was to maintain landing pitch attitude, resist the temptation to flare more(tail scrap). Keep pitch attitude and let it touch back down. This of course is based on a bounce where the aircraft lifts only a few feet. I've only seen a couple of bounced landings during my flying career and they were both in a DC10 with high sink rate. 

What????

You don't land an aircraft at the same vertical speed as an object dropped from 30ft, of course it would go splat!

The rest of you post is not worth even replying too.

Bouncing in an A320 in bad weather is very common.  Defining a bounced landing is not easy, if you mean a large bounce into the air ie 10- 20 ft etc, then you are doing something very wrong, or in my experience, the turbulence suimulation (especially ASN) with all addon or default weather generators is simply terrible.

A bounce like that can be recovered if you have airspeed and runway to play with, otherwise go around.  For smaller bounces you can simply flare as normal and let the aircraft settle onto the runway.

Actually, Narutokun's explanation of pilot induced oscillation is what real-world instructors tell student pilots to avoid to prevent bouncy landings becoming accidents - unless the bounce is very hard/high you should just hold the controls steady (no more flaring or trying to correct) and allow the aircraft to settle back on the runway.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Here's how I do it in real life and in the sim and my landing rates in the sim are usually below -100fpm in airliners and less than -50fpm in Ga planes. once established on final focus on your touch down point as your approach that point start to transion your focus point toward the end of the runway so that when your about to flare your looking down the entire runway. Then just fly the plane on don't let it drop to the runway if your sink rate is high add a little power right as you flare. When I've bouced in real life and it's more than a couple of feet I just go around,it's safer to go around then it is to salvage a fubared landing

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.