Sign in to follow this  
Guest prichards

Horrible Judgement...

Check out this picture: http://www.airliners.net/open.file/570962/M/Obviously this "pilot" can't ruin his pride (or atleast whats left of it) to do a go around but is more satisfied with risking his life, the instructors life, and potentially other peoples lives...It's not that hard to apply a but more thottle... I hope that student gets a long lesson on landings...Thoughts?Jason :-wave

Guest ba747heavy

Looks like my landings in FS! Hehe just kidding. If I was that instructor I would have taken the controls over....

Guest Ken_Salter

Yeah but he threaded the lights really well!

Guest TerryT

I have done this before while practicing for my Commercial check ride. (real life) I even scraped the tail tie down ring a bit. About that time I read in an Air Force safety message (I worked in a AF Comm center) about a T-38 student that took out several approach lights and dinged up the AB nozzles on the T-38. Yes we can say it might have been a thing about pride, that you could do a good power off 180 landing. I would say it taught even a better lesson in what "Not" to do in the future. Besides, part of the learning process is failing sometimes.Terry

Well, the first thing that I can see is that the camera taking the photo is a few feet higher than the landing aircraft. I think the aircraft is a little higher than it looks, although yes, a bit low. It looks like someone is practicing short field landings or someone really experienced is practacing spot landings. Our downtown airport has been known to let people paint white (lets say objects-not x's) for CAP cessnas to have spot landing competitions.Or he could of course just be really really low and slow...LOL

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

Practicing for St. Maarten? :)

BobK

Jason,We were all inexperienced once, whether it be driving cars or flying planes. Your comments are rather TOO critical, if you ask me :-)Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I find my comments to not be that critical... telling someone they should apply throttle or made a go around isn't horrible, now is it? Maybe saying about his pride may be a bit "critical" but if thats the issue, that he doesn't want to go around, he should have a high degree of supervision.I'm aware we all we're inexperienced once, but I'm basing this post on THAT picture I linked to, not flying skills in general. You must be able to agree that he could have had better judgement.Jason

I'm just wondering what makes you so certain that the pilot wasn't doing a short field or spot landing on purpose?

The Comment: TOO LOW!! Another student trying to kill his instructor? I thought this guy's goose was cooked! Ended up just getting his mains on the pavement but it was close as you can see!;) I think the photographer would have noted otherwise.

I see that you're a student pilot flying 152s. Congratulations on entering the world of aviation. Once inside, one thing which you may begin to notice is how very little the average layperson, media person or politician understands aviation. Once you learn more about flying, you'll start to realize that the perceptions the laypeople have of pilots, planes, and most things aviation, are usually wrong, exaggerated or incomplete....By the way, have you started on your short field landings yet?

>I see that you're a student pilot flying 152s. Congratulations on entering the world of aviation.Thank you, though I'm not particulary new...>Once inside, one thing which you may begin to notice is how very little the average layperson, media person or politician understands aviation. Noticed it several years ago when a local mayor decided to close my home airport.>Once you learn more about flying, you'll start to realize that the perceptions the laypeople have of pilots, planes, and most things aviation, are usually wrong, exaggerated or incomplete....Once you learn more about me, you would know I know just about eveything there is to know for your PPL-ASEL.>By the way, have you started on your short field landings yet?Many, many moons ago.If you look at this photographers 729 other photos, he seems to have a fairly thorough background in the field of aviation. I think he would know the difference between a short field landing and one thats just going to be...not so good.-Jason