Sign in to follow this  
mgh

FSX-SE and SDK

Information about FSX-SE and its SDK. there won't apparently be one.

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/availability-of-sdk-with-fsx-steam-edition.432909/

But I think the FSX SDKs are still available and will certainly apply to FSX-SE:

http://www.microsoft.com/Products/Games/FSInsider/downloads/Pages/FSXSDK-SP2Update.aspx

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

DTG aren't going to make a SDK available.

EDIT

Your link refers to

This update includes the changes to the FSX Software Development Kit required for those developers who have installed FSX Service Pack 2.

IMPORTANT: If you have already installed Flight Simulator X: Acceleration expansion packdo not install the SDK Update for Service Pack 2.

FSX-SE includes Acceleration so where does that leave us?

So what does this means for users whose have bought i.e. Instant Scenery 3 etc, will we need to use the boxed FSX to build our own scenerys?

And what about this one

http://www.prepar3d.com/support/sdk/

Is it not possible to use that one like as a workaround?

FSX-SE includes Acceleration so where does that leave us?

As far as the SDK is concerned Acceleration and SP2 are the same. SimConnect is the same, the BGLs format is the same, aircraft and gauge building is the same. Acceleration was mostly extra content.

Pete

As far as the SDK is concerned Acceleration and SP2 are the same. SimConnect is the same, the BGLs format is the same, aircraft and gauge building is the same. Acceleration was mostly extra content.

That wasn't my point.

What happens if we install Microsoft's FSX SDK - SP2 Update to an  FSX-SE that has the Acceleration expansion pack effectively installed - despite Microsoft's warning?

Information about FSX-SE and its SDK. there won't apparently be one.

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/availability-of-sdk-with-fsx-steam-edition.432909/

If that is true, then why did DTG even bother to include any of the SDK in their release of FSX:SE...???

It sounds to me as though the person from DTG who replied to Jon doesn't really understand what the SDK is for, since it has absolutely nothing to do with them making changes to the core product!

As it is, it is just plain S T U P I D to even have the ..\sdk folder at all, much less GMax and the gmax_FSModelExp.dle but no XToMDL.exe with which to compile the export from GMax!

But I think the FSX SDKs are still available and will certainly apply to FSX-SE:

Pete I know that you are aware of this now, but for the benefit of anyone else who doesn't know...

...none of the downloadable SDK updates will install unless one already owns FSX-RTM  Disk 1.

Of course, wanna-be developers can freely download, install, and use the Prepar3D v1.4 SDK, but how are the new folks with only FSX Steam Edition to know that?

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

If that is true, then why did DTG even bother to include any of the SDK in their release of FSX:SE...???

I think the FSX-SE Simconnect.msi and the SimConnect legacy interfaces provided there are importasnt, but, yes, they could have been better placed and maybe more prominent. I've had to advise several folks to run these installers in order to get assorted SimConnect applications working.

...none of the downloadable SDK updates will install unless one already owns FSX-RTM  Disk 1.

Really? Well if i did know that I'd forgotten. Sorry. Seems an unnecessary restriction. After all you can't actually use anything you make with it without FSX

Pete

Seems an unnecessary restriction.

It was part of the incentive to buy FSX Deluxe as opposed to FSX Standard.

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Really? Well if i did know that I'd forgotten. Sorry. Seems an unnecessary restriction. After all you can't actually use anything you make with it without FSX

Pete

That is precisely why it so aggravated "us" who needed the SDK. MS did this of course so that wannabe's had to buy FSX-Deluxe edition just to have the base SDK installed...

...then have to run the SP1 which gleefully proceeded to 'uninstall' what we'd just installed, before installing the new files...

...rinse and repeat for SP2...

...one more time for Acceleration.

Sheesh! All that BS just to do a complete SDK installation!

I am happy that they did include the SimConnect legacy interfaces, but as you said they could have simply had their installer run them silently and been done with the process. They didn't need to include all of the other SDK files if they didn't intend for them to be used.

Fr. Bill    

I have this problem right now... I build a new PC and installed only FSX:SE, but even copy all the SDK folders and program from my backup it doesn't work at all... and I don't want to install another FSX. :(

(Sorry about my english)

You must install the SDKs, not just copy things. They get installed the same way as for MS FSX.

Unfortunately Jim, the SDK included with FSX Steam is incomplete, and missing all of the executable files. It is worthless. Further, what there is of it is installed automatically.

One can however install the FSX chain of SDK's without having to (re)install FSX itself.

Fr. Bill    

When I bought FSX-SE, I thought its actually a Steam version of FSX Gold, and since FSX Gold edition came with SDK. But I never expect the actually Steam Edition doesn't come with a working SDK.