Sign in to follow this  
leefree

AI Traffic question

I have both Flytampa VHHX and Imaginesims VHHH. Currently, I have AI Traffic going for VHHH but I would also like to have AI traffic at VHHX. Is there a way to have both?

There should be no problem theoretically in having AI at both - just a matter of which AI files you use. Almost all AI files you download will already have their traffic going into VHHH as that's the default airport. It's only with a few "retro" files that you will have traffic routed to VHHX. But I have a feeling you may have a scenery conflict using them both at the same time - I seem to recall something about that though I'm not sure.

I use a custom VHHH afcad that eliminates it from the scenery and custom retro AI files when I'm using FlyTampa's Kai Tak scenery so have zero traffic going to VHHH on those occasions. I also use completely separate FS9 installations for retro and contemporary flying.

Is there a way to have both?

Yes.

First, if you are using the stock FS9 flight plan; Microsoft included a stock version of VHHX airport with no parking spots assigned and no communication frequencies etc so it is basically just used as scenery. That being the case there are no flights assigned to it in the stock flight plan. The first step to get traffic there is to check in the Flytampa scenery / scenery folder to verify that there is a AF2 file or if you have an airport editor you can use that to search for the file. Once you find it open it with a airport editor if you have not already done so and make sure there are parking spots to handle the traffic you will add.and make sure it has necessary comm frequencies. Make a backup of the stock flight plan found in the FS9 root folder / Scenery / World / scenery folder. Once you have done that the next step will be to open the stock flight plan with a AI traffic / flight plan editor such as Ttools. When you decompile the traffic bgl you will get three text files, aircraft, airports and flightplans. Open the flightplans file with notepad. Use the find function  in the editor ( Ctrl + F ) to find VHHH and then Find Next to go through the VHHH listings one at a time and change a few here and there to VHHX. When you are finished use Ctrl + S or save - don't use 'save as'. After it is saved close it and recompile the traffic file - bgl. Done!

If you are using add on AI aircraft and flight plans the process is somewhat the same yet a bit different. Again, first, check in the Flytampa scenery / scenery folder to verify that there is a AF2 file or if you have an airport editor you can use that to search for the file. Once you find it open it with a airport editor if you have already done so and make sure there are parking spots to handle the traffic you will add.and make sure it has necessary comm frequencies.

Start FS9 and go to VHHH and make a note of which airlines you see there. With that list in hand, decide which to use and how many flights you want to go to VHHX. I will use my AIG flight plan for Cathay Pacific Airlines as an example. Open (decompile) the Cathay Pacific Airlines traffic bgl with Ttools or some other flight plan editor. Again you will get three files one with the word aircraft in it, one with the word airports and one with the word flightplans. Open the airports text file with notepad and add this to the list of airports -       VHHX,N22* 19.01',E114* 12.15',0      at the bottom is okay, they don't have to be in any order. Ctrl + S to save it and close it. Once again open the airport with AFCAD, ADE or AFX and make a note of the parking spot sizes that are available and whether parking assignments have been made. With that in hand go back to and open the aircraft text file so you can see what size aircraft you are dealing with and what the AC#nn number of the different AI are. Leave that open and open the flightplan text file. Again use Ctrl + F only this time find AC#nn ( example: AC#20 ) that you wish to send to VHHX then look through that section of the flight plan and change VHHH to VHHX in a couple of places and for a few different aircraft, always keeping in mind the size of the AI aircraft and the number of parking spots available. when you are satisfied save the flightplan text file (Ctrl +S) close it and the aircraft file and recompile it and you are done.

If you go to VHHX and notice the AI landing, exiting the runway and then disappearing it is because there is not enough parking that is large enough for the AI aircraft. involved.

Note that both of the above will rob VHHH of some of its' traffic and there is a way to avoid that by doing some copy and paste work and some renaming to create a new flight plan for VHHX. If you want to tackle that let me know.

I hope this helps you.

Regards,

WOW! Thanks for the response guys. Everythings working great following tgibson's suggestion. Mebull, I've saved your suggestion for future use and I thank you for your time in writing it :)

Tom (tgibson) was maybe too modest to tell you this but his website, CalClassic Propliners has a set of amazing retro AI files - you can choose prior to and just after the introduction of the early Jetliners. So if you do want to see Kai Tak in it's glory days that will give you some fascinating glimpses of the period of transition from the two eras. All Hong Kong traffic in those files will be directed to Kai Tak. That will include some military traffic too - RAF Comets, MATS C124 etc. as well as some exotic visitors from Aeroflot and CAAC and various charters and fringe freighter companies of the era.

My own files set it up to look as it did the last time I flew through there - Spring 1976 - beginning of the wide-body era of L1011, 747-200, DC-10 etc. as well as representatives of the earlier era.

Have fun

Ian

Thanks, Ian.  :)

I have an AI traffic package that covers 1957, 1959, and 1962, all around the world.

Mebull, I've saved your suggestion for future use and I thank you for your time in writing it :)

You are most welcome.

Regards,