Sign in to follow this  
Pete5

Tweaks?

any performance tweaks for fs9? I have the runway lights tweak im just wondering if there's a highmem or something like that

specs

i3 dual core with 2 hyperthreated cpu's to 4

8 gb of ram

integrated card of 128mb 

windows 8.1

laptop

There have a been a "zillion" posted or mentioned over the many years.  It would probably behoove you to do a forum search for "tweaks".  That should keep you busy for awhile.  Individual "recommendations" to your request would most definitely "miss" some that were mentioned in the past.

Just say'n

128Mb... you sure of that number? 

I think your graphics card may seriously limit performance, there are not enough tweaks for that.

just wondering if there's a highmem

FS9 does not require the highmemory fix so necessary with FSX.

Search for and download from the library the late 'Opa' Marshall's Tips and Tricks series.  Now long in the tooth (as is FS9) but lots of good info there.

I think your graphics card may seriously limit performance, there are not enough tweaks for that.

Very politely said, very true and I will leave it at that!

Regards,

I wouldn't be surprised by this number: it's an IGP, it may have 128 MB of dedicated memory plus 1-2 GB taken off system RAM.

To the OP: if you're using an Intel GPU, you'll need to enable anti aliasing in FS9 >settings >hardware, despite what everyone else says here (almost everyone has Nvidia or AMD/ATI GPUs). Keep mip map bias at 4 or 5, no more (too much shimmering). If you still think your visuals suck, it's because you can't force anisotropic filtering with drivers. Download, install and run 3D Enforcer, available here:

http://www.cdahmedeh.net/3d-enforcer/

That, and read NickN's system tweaks in these links :

http://www.simforums.com/forums/the-fsx-computer-system-the-bible-by-nickn_topic46211.html/ (for system wide tweaks).

http://forums.simviation.com/cgi-bin/yabb25/YaBB.pl?num=1211055375/ (for FS9 tweaks, reply 7).

And please, don't end up like a drunken sailor :wink: ; flying FS9 won't guarantee that your i3 laptop with no dedicated GPU wouldn't fall to its knees.

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@23-144 Hz (locked at 120 Hz, FreeSync ON), Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4.

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

I wouldn't be surprised by this number: it's an IGP, it may have 128 MB of dedicated memory plus 1-2 GB taken off system RAM.

To the OP: if you're using an Intel GPU, you'll need to enable anti aliasing in FS9 >settings >hardware, despite what everyone else says here (almost everyone has Nvidia or AMD/ATI GPUs). Keep mip map bias at 4 or 5, no more (too much shimmering). If you still think your visuals suck, it's because you can't force anisotropic filtering with drivers. Download, install and run 3D Enforcer, available here:

http://www.cdahmedeh.net/3d-enforcer/

That, and read NickN's system tweaks in these links :

http://www.simforums.com/forums/the-fsx-computer-system-the-bible-by-nickn_topic46211.html/ (for system wide tweaks).

http://forums.simviation.com/cgi-bin/yabb25/YaBB.pl?num=1211055375/ (for FS9 tweaks, reply 7).

And please, don't end up like a drunken sailor :wink: ; flying FS9 won't guarantee that your i3 laptop with no dedicated GPU wouldn't fall to its knees.

well it always get 35 in most place's, goes down to 20-25 in high airports which is expected.

Okay I don't use any payware aircraft or scenery,, and for minimum is only 8 mb... I have like 30x's that and the proccecer is 3 times better then in the requirements also I did check it said 128 mb dedicated but.................. what is total available graphics memory because I have 1824mb of that

Okay I don't use any payware aircraft or scenery

If these is how you'll be flying, you'll do more than fine with your laptop.. Just remember what I said for AA and AF.

Best regards,

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@23-144 Hz (locked at 120 Hz, FreeSync ON), Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4.

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

FS2004... the Swiss Army Knife of computer entertainment!

Flightsim was extremely popular among the business community years ago, who amused themselves while travelling with their new-fangled "Portable Computers". 

I had a little joystick once, that clipped to the "5" key and you operated with 2 fingertips.

Must be available still, somewhere... happy flying!

Hello:

In addition to the suggestions given by the folks above, here's some tweaks I've found helpful:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/autogen-radius.81821/#post-231814

BTW: I accidentally discovered that newer Windows 7 and 8.x drivers for laptop touch-pads attempt to implement "multi-touch" type finger movements /commands by intensively polling the X-Y coordinates of the touch-pad via the USB sub-system.

When the extra features for IMHO un-necessary "multi-touch" options are disabled in the ex: Synaptics or Elan touch-pad "Mouse" drivers in the Control Panel > Mouse applet (leaving the "Basic" mouse touch and button features intact), I was able to nearly double the general performance of Win-7 and Win 8.x laptops ! :Big Grin:

I would also consider further disabling of un-necessary Windows Services, Extensible Performance Counters etc. in combination with disabling un-necessary Windows 7 or 8.x multimedia graphical GUI effects and "tablet-style" GUI themes in favor of Windows Classic GUI (the original Windows "Desktop and Start Button GUI style") via the excellent freeware add-on "Classic Shell":

http://www.classicshell.net/

Hope these ideas help optimize your laptop-based FS experience ! :smile:

GaryGB

leaving the "Basic" mouse touch and button features intact

What do you mean with basic? Should I ditch tapping and two finger scroll and zoom too?

Best regards,

Hello:

On laptops where I tested these touchpad "mouse" driver  tweaks, I disabled:

* Edge Scroll

* All multi-finger (aka "multi-touch") features:

1.) Zooming

2.) Scrolling

3.) Rotation

4.) Swipe Page

5.) Fast Keys

In theory, if one always plugs in and uses a good external optical Mouse with a wheel, one could disable all touchpad features entirely from Windows Device Manager and/or the above Control Panel > Mouse > [Touchpad tab] > Options, possibly with further benefits to performance.

Hope this helps ! :smile:

GaryGB

Thanks. I tried, but it didn't help for me. Maybe my laptop has already a reasonable poll rate. Back to what I had...

Best regards,

Thanks. I tried, but it didn't help for me. Maybe my laptop has already a reasonable poll rate. Back to what I had...

The version of touchpad "mouse" driver in use on your own system may certainly have something to do with how much polling may be taking place; it may be the 'newer' touchpad driver versions are geared towards laptop systems that have (or were deemed by the manufacturer to very likely be "upgraded" to) ...Windows 8.x with its "tablet-style" GUI and navigation.

Also, the more underpowered the CPU (ex: AMD ARM may respond more than ex: Intel I3 or I5 which have an inherently higher performance) ...may influence how much benefit may actually be seen when the touchpad "mouse" driver tweaks are applied.

Perhaps if folks here view the technical specifications for your own laptop hardware and software installation, someone may be able to offer more ideas on how to optimize it for use with the (?) version of Windows and MSFS that you are using. :wink:

http://forum.avsim.net/user/143237-luis-miguel-hern%C3%A1ndez/

GaryGB