Sign in to follow this  
speed707bird

Altitude and heading selector issue in MJC-8 with linda

Hi Chaps,

Firstly its possible I should of posted this in the Majestic forum but thought I'd try here first.

I have a issue with the altitude and heading selectors in the Majestic dash8.

This only seems to happen on descent or approach but, when i use the rotary knobs on the MCP2 the altitude starts to jump in 1000's of feet randomly. So it might get stuck on 4300 and when i turn the knob it only gives me 5300, 6300, 7300 etc...

Similar with the heading, it just jumps in 10's or 12's of degrees or so.

If i use the mouse over the knobs in the VC then all is normal and i can fine tune.

Its just a bit of a pain when flying online and the workload is getting high to have to mess about with the mouse to select given heading and altitudes.

Again this only seem s to happen on descent/approach.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Hi Steve

Thank you for your question and here is the correct place for questions related to LINDA operation.

I have examined the code for the MJC Q800 and you should be using the MJC Q800 module functions:

MJCD8_ALT_BUG_inc/_incfast/_dec/_decfast and MJCD8_ALT_Show

MJCD8_HDG_BIG_inc/_incfast/_dec/_decfast and MCCD8_HDG_Show

I think your issue is related to the way the VRInsight MCP panels output values for knob rotation. They do not return a specific value but an increase (inc) or fast increase (incfast) and decrease (dec) or fast decrease (decfast) depending on how fast you rotate the knob. The MJC Q800 module translates the inc and dec into 100 ft increase or decrease in Altitude and incfast and decfast into 1000 ft steps. The Heading is handled similarly in 1 and 10 deg steps.

Over enthusiastic rotation especially at critical moments can result in the erratic changes. This is particularly the case due the unconventional interface provide for the MJC Q800.

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

LINDA Support/Developer - VATSIM and BAVirtual - Airbus Flyer

i7 1TB SSD GTX980 - FSX/P3D - Aerosoft Airbus A318/A319/A320/A321 - FS2Crew

Hi Scot,

Thanks for the reply.

I had originally set the MCP as you described above but to try and cure my issue I got rid of the _incfast with another input of just_inc. Even this did not get rid of the erratic nature. Even turning one click at a time (very slowly) the alt was going up in 1000's. But then it can cure its self for a few seconds before going nuts again.

Its strange it only happens on descent. I thought maybe it was a feature or setting that could be selected? I have a feeling some ac you can push the knob to select between 1000's or 100's increments. 

As you say could be just the way the two interface and may have to live with it.

Thanks again,

Steve 

Hi Steve

The MJC Q800 code relies on the default functions in lib-default.lua. This file sets the 10x increment. You can overwrite this value in the MJC module to a lower value (ie. 5).  Alternatively, you can dispense with the _incfast functions and just use _inc although this can make it tedious to do large changes (ie. 180 deg). The 100/1000 option is used in the Aerosoft Airbus but this built into the interface.

The MJC is problematic for programmers because of its non-standard interface. There is no easy answer.

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

LINDA Support/Developer - VATSIM and BAVirtual - Airbus Flyer

i7 1TB SSD GTX980 - FSX/P3D - Aerosoft Airbus A318/A319/A320/A321 - FS2Crew

Thanks for that info Scot.

I may have a tinker as you described.

Its a pity this aircraft is such a pain regarding interfacing with other add-ons. Otherwise a superb add-on to have.

Many thanks again,

Steve