Sign in to follow this  
makdrive

BlackBox Simulation- Airbus A330/40

I liked the earlier version (something around 0.6) of the Blackbox A320 series. I really had high hopes. The time the 2 men team takes (or rather needs) to bring out new updates is long, but I would be fine with it. I bought the A320 series and the Widebodies a long time ago. I never liked the 0.8 version of the A320 and have never flown it ever since. And the new updated version of the Widebodies isn't what I hoped for as well. The FBW is really not good in normal law. Back then, when the Airbus X had many problems with its FBW, I preferred Blackbox's A320 series. But Aerosoft have done a really good job with the most recent versions of the A320 series. Sure, to fly an A330 is really tempting, but the 0.81 (or how they call it) version of the A330/340 doesn't work for me at all. The roll axis, especially during approaches, isn't stable and reasonably controllable at all, the FMGC is still not capable of calculating my base pattern around EDDK. The auto flight system is busting altitudes and dies strange things while it tries to overfly a waypoint, etc. I uninstalled it after an hour...

Michael, thanks for your comments, specially coming from someone I know is, just like me :-)

How's it going in XP-land regarding the buses ?

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Guest Mik75

Michael, thanks for your comments, specially coming from someone I know is, just like me :-)

How's it going in XP-land regarding the buses ?

Hi there!

Maybe I'll reinstall it later and I'll do a stream/video of preparing and flying the base training pattern. It takes 40 min. to complete it. A video can say so much more than words. I know that expectations are so different. But I am not willing anymore to deal with such a faulty piece of software! ;-)

Nothing really new in XPX land! ;-) Peter updated his A320/321 to version 6.4 (mainly cosmetic changes, 4k textures outside and minor changes in the systems) and brought out an A320neo on the same, very good, basis. I still fly these busses most of the time if I want to fly an Airbus. They never do strange things, keep the pilot thinking (setting up the the flight plan, approach, calculating T/D, etc.) and I only had one crash so far. That happened when I flew through clouds in an outside temp of -1C, and I forgot to turn on wing anti ice... ;-)

I liked the earlier version (something around 0.6) of the Blackbox A320 series....

I had exactly the same experience. A320 0.6 wasn't perfect but enjoyable. V 0.8 is not flyable to me, the autopilot always did something unexpected. I recently switched to the Aerosoft A320 and can enjoy flying Airbus again.

Peter

No issue here with paying for an unfinished product, but as long as there are always updates. They should open a forum and release updates on a more consistent basis. The Flight Sim world could use a complete A330 and A340. I only wish they modeled the new style virtual cockpit with a lcd standby instrument.

As a matter of preference I just cannot deal with the old style CRT monitors in that VC nor the old PSS style gauges, it is fine for a sample of an old 320 with EIS1 and I know they are working on it but from the images there is a long way to go. EIS1 was also not fitted on the real -600/500 variants but is seen in this version which is quite a big error, seems they valued getting a 340 and model out higher than actually replicating the real thing.

I think with BBS you are still buying into the model and those kind of details, it is still at the end of the day functional as far as I know but the nitty gritty type stuff which makes the simulation immersive and representative of the real thing is missing.

The AXE is still the best Airbus out there right now and it has really come on leaps and bounds since the latest update, I cannot wait for their A330.

Lawrence Ashworth

XhCuv5H.jpg

No issue here with paying for an unfinished product, but as long as there are always updates

Remember Phoenix Simulation Software (PSS)?

As a matter of preference I just cannot deal with the old style CRT monitors in that VC nor the old PSS style gauges, it is fine for a sample of an old 320 with EIS1 and I know they are working on it but from the images there is a long way to go. EIS1 was also not fitted on the real -600/500 variants but is seen in this version which is quite a big error, seems they valued getting a 340 and model out higher than actually replicating the real thing.

I think with BBS you are still buying into the model and those kind of details, it is still at the end of the day functional as far as I know but the nitty gritty type stuff which makes the simulation immersive and representative of the real thing is missing.

The AXE is still the best Airbus out there right now and it has really come on leaps and bounds since the latest update, I cannot wait for their A330.

Agreed. The 320 feels very dated. On top of that, the screens I've seen recently concerning the 330 are not exactly reassuring. The Pitots are odd, the AOA Sensors are wrong and the Static Ports are just off in my opinion. Plus the VC itself is nothing to write home about.

I've always wanted a decent 340 and honestly I was kind of excited when I saw that BBS released one. But the comments prove otherwise. Oh well... I guess I'll have to wait for the Aerosoft wide body and settle for a 330.

I've always wanted a decent 340 and honestly I was kind of excited when I saw that BBS released one. But the comments prove otherwise. Oh well... I guess I'll have to wait for the Aerosoft wide body and settle for a 330.

I wouldn't write it off yet. They still have a way to go to finish it up. It may take a while but I have some confidence...

Really disappointed with this 0.80 version....   It's actually worth than 0.6 as stated earlier. Manual handling is poor, with very poor fps on Nd's on some occasions. The VC textures are outdated and absolutely not of up to today's standards. Systems are very limited.

Considering that there are only 2 guys on the development, I am not surprised of the outcome.... and would support them if they were not that arrogant presenting this add-on as the "best airbus ever released"or "when every one else fail". Because of that, i won't be supporting them anymore. Everything is uninstalled.... for ever. Bye BBS.

PS : message for people who don't own it yet : when you see what's coming up with FsLabs, much wiser to keep the money :P

too much, too soon....

It's actually worth than 0.6 as stated earlier. Manual handling is poor

I have both  their a330s and a340s.  While I  believe the a340 is decent  the a330 is bad.Managed descent is no good and manual handling  even worse.

I'm about to purchase this new car because I'm simply tired of driving my Toyota, Honda and Yugo. I just found one online, but it's engine is missing some pieces and the transmission jumps a gear here and there. No biggie! The owner promises to fix it ;) I just have to pay him full price for the test drive and sign a purchase agreement. It's win win because I'm desperate.

Man what a paint job! Beautiful car!

Reik Namreg

I'm about to purchase this new car because I'm simply tired of driving my Toyota, Honda and Yugo. I just found one online, but it's engine is missing some pieces and the transmission jumps a gear here and there. No biggie! The owner promises to fix it ;) I just have to pay him full price for the test drive and sign a purchase agreement. It's win win because I'm desperate.

Man what a paint job! Beautiful car!

Cute analogy but what are the alternatives if you want to sim a wide-body Airbus? Please, I'd love to hear it. Yes, Aerosoft is coming out with a 330 in who-knows-how-long but not only do we already know that it will follow suit and be a reasonably "lite" simulation, but they're also not doing an A340 at all. So yeah, a few of us have had to make a sub-optimal decision and buy into the BBS.

By the way, when was the last time you made a crappy flightsim purchase? Not sure about you but I've made several from even the "esteemed" addon developers. Believe me, if I wanted to go hound all of the developers who've sold me crummy addons, I'd have a second full-time job.