Sign in to follow this  
makdrive

BlackBox Simulation- Airbus A330/40

We all knew what we were getting into, when giving our money to the ex-PSS boys..... yep, I fell for it too and bought the A320 and A330.  Flew each of them once, then in the garbage.   How anyone can get excited about their A320, when the excellent Aerosoft buses are out there, is beyond me.   (And soon we'll have an Aerosoft A330 too).

The quality of modelling and texturing in these BBS (bigger bull s**?) aircraft is still very PSS-like.  Very FS9 era. 

• Upvote 1

I bought the A330/A340 early 2015. I haven't flown it since I have the black gauges no animations no fcu digits issue. Even the developers cannot fix my issue. My friend has a copy of this payware. the MCDU is crap. Direct to functions is so wrong, place/distance is not supported, secondary flight plan is not supported. VC is crap. Tech support is crap. Everything they say about their product is a lie. I will never ever support this software ever again. Wilco flies better than BBS. Stay away from BBS. 

I bought the A330 in a sale quite some time ago. Decided to give it another go in P3D V2.5. I was actually pleasantly surprised. After calibrating the joystick and flying some manual circuits, everything seemed to work. Even managed a CAT3 autoland pretty well.

I have not worked in an Airbus cockpit, but it looks and feels believable, though not top notch graphically. The overhead panel could use some better texturing along with some of the other cockpit areas like around the side windows etc. The main panel is quite nice with the shadowing provided by P3D. The flight model is also believable (to me). No fighter roll rates or something like that.

But.... When I tried a quick flight with a flightplan set in the FMGS, it failed to make the first turn. After setting a direct for the next waypoint it went hunting for "T/P" which I'm guessing is a Turning Point, but somehow failed to fly over it every time... Deleted it from the F-Plan and finally it goes to the next waypoint. And then misses the next turn completely as well and starts hunting again... I'm hoping it's me screwing something up, and will try again later.

I actually want to give them the benefit of the doubt and for me personally, the A330 and A340 models I have now are worth the price I paid, once you get some of the better repaints that get rid of the plastic look.

I have no other experiences with PSS or any other part of the history of BBS, so I am trying to look at it from a neutral perspective.

But.... When I tried a quick flight with a flightplan set in the FMGS, it failed to make the first turn. After setting a direct for the next waypoint it went hunting for "T/P" which I'm guessing is a Turning Point, but somehow failed to fly over it every time... Deleted it from the F-Plan and finally it goes to the next waypoint. And then misses the next turn completely as well and starts hunting again... I'm hoping it's me screwing something up, and will try again later.

Ok, I'm chalking this one up to a fluke. Just completed a full flight in an A330 MRTT variant without any issues. It's a shame it doesn't seem to work for all people and that Blackbox has a shady history, but I would dare to say that at the moment they have the best A330/A340 on the market. I'm really growing to like it.

Just curious, but a couple of days ago I reinstalled the old Wilco V.2 since I just recently went to Denmark on SAS with the A340 and flew back to Chicago on the A330. Anyway, just wondering how the BBS 330/340 compares to the old Wilco package. my version BTW is the original, NOT the evolution, since I was not willing to shell out more for the "evolution" as everything I read indicated no major improvement. I have read through this entire thread, and obviously there are varying different opinions on the BBs package (mostly negative of course and with some good reasons). I will also add that I have the Aerosoft 318/319/320/321 and they are outstanding but I certainly know not to expect that from BBS. I have been searching for days but have not found much in the way of a "Wilco vs. BBS" comparison. Any thoughts? I know BBS is unfinished, but if it hand flies fairly well and is a fairly decent upgrade from the Wilco bus I willing to drop $35 on it as a gambling endeavor. Again, I know I have been warned about this BBS packaged so I am operating with full disclosure, but Aerosoft is not producing a 340 from my understanding (cant wait for the 330 though) so perhaps BBS is the answer for a quick fix. Thanks in advance.

Cheers, Pete

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot

IMO BBS isn't much better than Wilco, at least the last time I tried I found the flight dynamics somewhat worse than those of Wilco. The FBW feels clumsy compared to let's say Aerosoft A32x, the aircraft is very slow to turn even with maximum left/right input. Graphically BBS A330/A340 is of course better than Wilco...

Wilco:

Didn't really like the model. It was quite detailed but the proportions were somewhat wrong.

The passenger windows were placed too high and the wheel-struts were too long.

The A330-200 and A340-300 looked really bizarre in my eyes.

There were many bugs : LOC interception not always working, Managed approach speed not working well, A346 cruising 5° nose-up etc.

I liked much the nice VC but not at all the 2D panel.

BBS: 

Good and nice  model with realistic proportions.

I mainly use the 2D panel because I don't really like the VC.

The important things like Ils intercept and managed approach speed work well in the latest version.

Managed climb and descent are also "acceptable" now.

But there are also many flaws:

ALL MODELS (BBS)
----------------------
-take-off phase page sometimes missing in FCU 
- >45% N1 necessary to get the plane rolling (should be much less)
-FLEX  temp has no influence on to speeds
-before take-off DOT missing on NAV and ALT
-OPT altitude missing
-AP executes heading changes too agressively, should be smoother
-Managed descent Speed range brackets appear only below 30500 ft
-on MANAGED DESCENT plane always BELOW profile
-on autoland NOSE-UP attitude wrong , should be 2-3° instead of 0° (but flare ok)
-RETARD call missing on autoland (should come at 10° ra)
-Ecam COND/Press synoptics  used are those of the a320
-After changing aircraft eg from bbs 330 to bbs 340
 some gauges are black (even when loading default 172 between)

A330 (BBS)

--------------------------
-Climbs too slowly (at GW of only 210 to at FL170: 1400 ft/min)
-Nose-up attitude a little low on CRUISE(FL360) 

A340 (BBS)
--------------------------
-Ecam EL/AC Synoptics indicates only 2 generators (instead of 4)
- CRUISE SPEED A340-600 should be 0.84 (instead of 0.82)

I have sent this bug-list to  Graham Waterfield of  BBS. He answered that all will be working
correctly in V1.0. :smile:

So if you can live with all that, both planes can be quite enjoyable.

I liked the WiLCO mainly for the nice Vc and I like the BBS mainly for the nice model.

Somebody only interested by a good model could also use those by Thomas Ruth !

Guy

couple days ago i bought the A330/A340 of BBS and since then i cant figure out the calibration issue with the reverse thrust, I asked on BBS for my issue but i guess they cant help me (the developers), I Searched on the google but couldnt find anything. It looks nice plane, i did a flight from JFK to Fiumicino (I didnt complete the flight) and i was kinda surprised with the product. I've spent days/nights to solve the reverse thrust issue but nothing. Check my pic below what im talking about.... 

11844995_10155992535095646_4899980470860

I'm assuming you are doing the Joystick calibration steps on the BBS A330 Guide.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20421756/A330-quick%20start%20guide.pdf

Also I would calibrate your joystick thru Windows first and within FSX I would eliminate

that "Null Zone" (i.e. 0 null zone)

I tryed to follow their manual but it didnt help me at all. The null zone doesnt go 0..... What you mean calibrate my joy thru windows? How i do that? Thanks. 

the modelling is what put me off BBS A330/A340. Hell even freeware developers like Project Opensky and the upcoming Project Airbus A330/A340 are more better modelled. Also when compared to the CLS A330/A340 and to a lesser extent Overland A330/A340 the BBS model is not that good. It either needs to remake its product or loose it to upcoming developers who will give quality products passionately. 

Swapnil Sirdeshpande

don't expect new version

Fixed that for you  :P

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

Hello everyone,

I am glad I found this thread, it seems to be the most recent. I have read all the technical posts and it seems I am not the only one with issues. Did look up the Facebook page which seems to be blank "Blackbox Simulations local business".

Does anyone know if there is a further update from the V 0.80.1?

The product has potential and although there are a lot of bugs I would love to see it in full function.

My issues are with only the Autopilot not working outside of managed mode, it does not respond to Speed,Height or heading changes so it leaves no choice but to hand fly it once given new instructions other than what is inputted in the FMC.

Thanks

LFTT205