Sign in to follow this  
makdrive

BlackBox Simulation- Airbus A330/40

There is supposed to be a update around the corner. It was announced to be released by the end of july, but now we're at the end of august. So, theoretically it could be released anywhere from the next minute....through to infinity XD

As far as the AP and manual/managed flight, you do know that you activate managed control by using the left mouse button, and manual guidance by using your right mouse button?

I just did a small test flight my self, and had no problems, manual settings ALT, SPD, VS and HDG worked as they should.

:)

There is supposed to be a update around the corner. It was announced to be released by the end of july, but now we're at the end of august. So, theoretically it could be released anywhere from the next minute....through to infinity XD

As far as the AP and manual/managed flight, you do know that you activate managed control by using the left mouse button, and manual guidance by using your right mouse button?

I just did a small test flight my self, and had no problems, manual settings ALT, SPD, VS and HDG worked as they should.

What are the negatives of the package so far? I want to learn flying an Airbus and love the A330. Will I enjoy it even in beta stage?

What are the negatives of the package so far? I want to learn flying an Airbus and love the A330. Will I enjoy it even in beta stage?

I have the Aerosoft A320 package and the BB A330/340 package. If you're just starting Airbuses from scratch I'd go with the former for sure. Aerosoft is developing an A330 which is many months away but judging by what they've done so far it will be good and worth the wait.  The latter package is...flyable but difficult both graphically and systems-wise, and version 1.0 is possibly far out on the event horizon somewhere

Hans Soule

Hello Scarp, many thanks for your reply. Lets hope that the update is released soon!! With regards to the managed mode and to your question with regards to mouse buttons, yes i am aware of the difference and how to get the AP to operate within in the two modes, I also have the Airbus from Aerosoft and its the same. Did you try your test setting up the FMC and doing a complete run then disengaging it? I have tried with various models and the result is the same. I will try it again, let's see if I am missing something, otherwise I do enjoy the aircraft with all its faults it just makes it more challenging!!

In regards to the update, I suddenly became uncertain of which model you are actually talking about. Are you speaking of the widebody (A330/A340) package or the prologue (A318/319/320/321) package?

The update that is around the corner is for the prologue, current version is 0.8.1 while the widebody is currently at version 0.81.5.

So my previous post, I did the test in a A319. And yes, I did a planned flight from takeoff and cruise and did my manual AP flighttest during the decent and approach phase. Due to confusion as to which product you're haveing problems with, I did the same flight with the A330 too. In this test I took her out of managed mode during climb out, set a manual heading a bit off course, engaged VS and manual speed as well, then after a while set a new heading to intersect the planned route and took her back into managed flight again. Did the whole cruise segment in managed but repeated the same manual flight portion as I did with the A319 flight, testing all manual modes. Can't report any problems.

But if you were talking about the widebody and your version is 0.8.01 has me a bit stumped, coz I cant find any version on my HD with that number. I do have a v.0.8.02 which was released in january, then a v.0.81 was released in march. That version had a few serious bugs in it, which promted the developers to issue the current version v.0.81.5 which fixed those issues.

Of course I could have deleted a few of the earlier versions, so technically there could have been a v.0.8.1 I just dont remember anymore. Anyway, if you are talking about the widebody, then you're far behind in terms of versions. The newest version has a new VC (or more refined/developed model with some degree of baked textures etc) and, as I understand, new system logic coding. According to BBS, they did rewrote the whole coding into a new format and some of that is now part of the A330/A340 package.

The same update (upgraded VC and sys logic) is expected for the update to the A320 package, which I mentioned is around the corner. Current version of the A320 package is 0.8.1 and was released in june 2014.

Not sure what you mean by "setting up the FMC and doing a complete run then disengaging it?"

But as mentioned earlier, I did program the flight through the MCDU/FMC and I did go in and out of managed mode to manual AP mode and back again, and I did test all the four manual modes (speed,HDG, ALT and VS), both induvidually and different combinations.

Just a tip, the current versions are a bit sensitive when it comes to system initiations. Best way to check that everything is as it should be, is to open the MCDU/FMC and go to the performance page as the very first step before you do anything else and make sure you see the take off page and not the approach page.

If the latter is true, you will see the magenta question about activating approach in the lower left side of the MCDU display and you should click affirm in order to reset the systems. If you ignore this, funky things might happen during flight he he he. So, from having my flights go haywire I've learned the hard way to always make sure to check the MCDU/FMC and make sure that the systems are in fact reset before I do anything else while on ground starting out. Most of the time they are, but slewing and repositioning of the aircraft sometimes put the aircraft sytems into thinking it's in flight.

Hope that it helps you in some way, the A330/340 versions are quite enjoyable in it's current state and desite it'slack of managed decent. The A320 update that is on the horizon, as I understand it, should have at least the same updates as the widebody (meaning new sys logic/coding and updated VC) and they've hinted at maybe even more (crossing my fingers for managed decent). That has me exited, even if it just up to the level the A330/340 package is, I'd be happy.

My negative comments is in the same vain as others, there has been long times between some of the updates, but I do credit them with the benefit of doubt when it comes to the reasons behind them (death in the family + complete rewrite of sys logic code).

I have no reason to disbelieve them because the latest update for the A330/340 was a significant upgrade. But alas, it is still a beta (in my mind), but knowing that, and seeing that there have been significan updates, I do have faith in them and that it will be a solid product by the time v.1.0 is released. So I am a happy, paying beta tester. I could rephrase that and say I am a happy "early access" user instead. So to anyone wondering about 'should I or not'....I am not gonna give any recomandations. It would be dishonest on my part because I have no influence on neither the developers or know anything about tomorrow. As with any beta/early access software, you do take your chanses, what else can I say?

But I will round off my rather lenghty mambo-jambo by re-stating that, with everything taken into consideration, I am satisfied because, what is implemented works as intended and I see it is moving in the right direction.

Hello Scarp, my deepest apologies on the version number, you are right it is the Widebody prologue and version v.0.81.5 as you stated above. I had to go searching in my purchase history to make sure. OK so you have done a test flight and the Autopilot responds outside of the managed mode, I will give it a try again tonight and report back i may have missed a step some where. The last time I used it was with the A330 and coming into EGLL the controller gave me some speed and height restrictions I proceeded to left click on both speed and altitude adjust knobs and it did nothing. Let me go back and try it again offline and make sure, had to hand fly the bird to landing that day LOL!!!!

Great stuff! This is why I love this hobby so much, the community is so helpful!!! With regards to the product whilst its not an Aerosoft or PMDG quality product (as yet) it has great potential and despite all the negative stuff on the forums I do enjoy the aircraft, for a two man operation they have done a good job thus far in my humble opinion. 

Many thanks again for your input, it is greatly appreciated!!!

LFTT205

I am leaning to get the A330 package, and Fslabs for the narrow body if it ever gets released or being only interested in the A318 to fly out of London City maybe only the Aerosoft 318/319 package. It looks like the  pss A330 is progressing and without enough bugs to operate normally. The Aerosoft A330 is too long off. Thanks flibinite and scarp.

what navdata package do I use? I see navigraph has a pss and a pss_native. which one do I run?

No problem lftt205 :)

777200LRD: You should use the pss_native. There is no installer pr.se, so you have to drag the navdata folder from the zip file and drop it into the FS*root*folder/Blackbox simulation folder and just overwrite the files in it. Of course, if you need to make a backup of the original navdata it would be obvious to do so before you drag and drop the new cycle XD

Hello Scarp, We have joy in the camp again! It worked, we did as you suggested in and out of managed mode for speed, heading and altitude, worked like a charm. I must say I do enjoy flying the A340 what a delight. The models tested last night were the A330-200F and the A340-300, I will try the A340-600 later as I remembered that had some display issues the last time i tried to run it.

BBS has not done a bad job of these two aircraft and I say so for those who are thinking of investing in its development. I also use PMDG and Aerosoft products and BlackBox really has the potential to be up there.

Ok there are some "querks" like everything in development, but for the price being offered you are getting two really good models to fly. I do agree that both climb and descent profiling need some work and some babying is required. The MCDU does input what would be the right profile however the autopilot does not seem to quite get it, I tried the experiment with manually adjusting the VS and realised that is was so. On the main engine display Eng 1 displays fuel usage in Lbs whilst Eng 2 shows KGS but the figure is in Lbs things like that one can live with! The engine spool up and down sound is a bit off but what the hell! Its about the flying experience and that could be fixed with an external sound package. For the cargo versions I may have missed if there is a special command for the opening of the main cargo door but I can't seem to get it open and drives GSX nuts LOL!! The MCDU display sometimes obscures the path line for your flight plan but it then re-appears once in the air and all parameters for auto flight are engaged.

For the benefit of those wondering about the NAVIGRAPH data yes it is upgradable just add to the Navigraph download manager the PSS profile so that when you purchase the next upgrade that gets updated automatically.  

As I said before great stuff!! Happy flying and thanks again Scarp.

LFTT205

I fell for the "slick" ad...I filed for a refund via my PayPal account, but you know what I own all the PMDG and Aerosoft Airbus, and hey I decided to keep it and maybe by the time I reach 94.I am 76 now, that this model might show some class. First of all I got the engines started and was able to fly it on a flight plan using side and stars from Ksea to "KLAX however the VNAV is crazy and the auto throttle doesn't perform like a AIRBUS..more like a default boeing....yep the old xml code? What!!!!.Forget about VATSIM...can't tune the radio and transponder....many,many more problems for the 22th century...I like a challenge....

Bob Adams

I fell for the "slick" ad...I filed for a refund via my PayPal account, but you know what I own all the PMDG and Aerosoft Airbus, and hey I decided to keep it and maybe by the time I reach 94.I am 76 now, that this model might show some class. First of all I got the engines started and was able to fly it on a flight plan using side and stars from Ksea to "KLAX however the VNAV is crazy and the auto throttle doesn't perform like a AIRBUS..more like a default boeing....yep the old xml code? What!!!!.Forget about VATSIM...can't tune the radio and transponder....many,many more problems for the 22th century...I like a challenge....

it's not a final version yet, still beta.

I cannot grasp why anyone would be upset with the BBS A330-300 that I am currently flying back and forth EDDF-KCLT, as AAL704/705 in American livery.  It certainly is better than waiting for Aerosoft to do anything other than continuously state "It will be done when it is done" and kick you off the forum if you ask too many times (after years) when will EDDF be fixed, or when will an A330-300 finally be offered.  I finally "fixed" EDDF myself, including no autobahn vehicles crossing the taxiway from RWY 7L-25R.  I just have not yet figured out how to place dual jetways to fit this A330.

I have a CLS A330-300, but simply cannot find anyone to provide an American Livery and besides the CLS aircraft cannot compare to this BBS one.

I have had absolutely no problem with this BBS aircraft, during this eight hour flight (a pilot has to use the restroom sometime) other than trying to figure out how to stop the RAT from being deployed after an in-flight save and re-load, because the engines have apparently been stopped in-flight and need to be re-lighted and the throttles need to be reset.  Of course, this requires the RAT to be automatically deployed to provide power and hydraulics in an engine out situation.

If anyone has a suggestion, I will have one pretty darn good aircraft to fly otherwise.  I certainly can live with a deployed RAT at FL380 and 280 kts, since (while simming) the blades are not being ripped off.  John

By the way, rather than paying for updated Navigraph data, simply open whichever data you need to update in Notepad, scroll to the data you can find online for say a non-listed waypoint, scroll to the insertion point, update (making certain to keep the same blanks and commas) and save.  All current wpt, nav, ryw, sid, and star data is available free online.  Of course save the existing file first, in case you make an error.  John

I'm about to purchase this new car because I'm simply tired of driving my Toyota, Honda and Yugo. I just found one online, but it's engine is missing some pieces and the transmission jumps a gear here and there. No biggie! The owner promises to fix it ;) I just have to pay him full price for the test drive and sign a purchase agreement. It's win win because I'm desperate.

Man what a paint job! Beautiful car!

In other words you bought a Chevy...... :dance:

I cannot grasp why anyone would be upset with the BBS A330-300 that I am currently flying back and forth

Me niether. The only issue I have is that I can't really import a PFPX flight plan easily and the fuel/pax loading app is a little obtuse. Other than that I think it is pretty good.

Jim Atkins

Reference my post #162 above, I figured it out all by myself.  To avoid engines out (and subsequent drop of the RAT) upon restart from an in-flight save, Save properly:  1) Pause the flight;  2) Save the flight in the MCDU through the "DATA" button;  3) In FSX click "Save";  4) Name the flight  (BUT ALSO CHECK "Make this the default flight" before saving);  5) Save the Flight and exit.

Restart properly:  1) Start FSX;  2)  Select the saved flight (it should start in Paused Mode);  3) Unpause (just long enough for the MCDU to become active and Pause again);  4) In the MCDU select the "DATA" button and load your saved flight and leave it in Pause);  5) Fill in the INIT page and its next page);  6)  Fill in the Arrival Data of the PERF pages;  7)  Check the Flight Plan page for your next waypoint);  8) Check that your throttles are set correctly;  9)  Check that the Upper Panel settings are correct; 10) Check that the Altitude, Heading, and Speed settings are correct;  11) Unpause and immediately check that the Altitude, Heading, and Speed setting are on managed settings and that the throttles are set correctly.  Your engines should then be coming more alive and settling down.  Your flight will then resume at the altitude, heading, and speed you saved.  John

Hi All,

I have just purchased the BB A330 and to be honest I am not impressed with this add-on.

The ILS works when it wants too and when tying to tune in a freq, I might for example want to tune in 122.80 and it will only let me tune 122.82 or 122.78. The dial will not offer me .80 digits.

Aron