Sign in to follow this  
makdrive

BlackBox Simulation- Airbus A330/40

I use a laptop for my P3D v3 simming so screen size is limited. The AS offering doesn't suit me because the gauges do not have 2d popups and there is no 2-D cockpit at all.

The Blackbox A330 has a 2-D cockpit that is in my opinion the clearest I have ever seen – even sharper than the NGX for me. The gauges have 2D pop-ups as well and the links to other views work well.

After a couple of flights yesterday the systems seem really good and I'm certainly going to put some more time into practising with this and learning the push/pull Airbus way of flying!

I understand there will be a time limited demo version of the latest Blackbox update available shortly and I encourage others to try it.

UK P3DV5 and Xplane 11 Simmer
PilotEdge I11, CAT11, A-Z (ZLA), A-Z (WUS)

System details: Gigabyte P57v7 CF2 17.3" laptop. Kaby Lake i7 7700HQ CPU (averaging 3.4mhz). NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8mb (laptop version), 16 GB of DDR4-2400 RAM, SSD - Samsung 970 Evo  500GB M.2 NVMe, 1TB HDD 7200.

I do noy buy beta software. Now with the A318-A321 series and the upcoming A330 from AS, this BBS offering will be a thing of the past.

Cheers, Ed

I wonder if there would be as much negativity if the developer's name was other than Black Box Simulations.

I've just flown from EGCC to EGLL. Frankly I'm struggling to criticise this add- on.

See my post earlier - the 2D and all gauges are excellent.

The systems work well. I got Roll Out on landing.

I'm not a VC expert. It might be improved.

The most important thing for newcomers is you can have unlimited 90 minute trials. Just get a pause every ten minutes.

Whilst I liked the audible checklists on AS 320 series I have to say for screen visibility alone this is by far my favourite.

Try it - it costs nothing- it may surprise you - and kill some of the Blackbox paranoia.

• Upvote 1

System details: Gigabyte P57v7 CF2 17.3" laptop. Kaby Lake i7 7700HQ CPU (averaging 3.4mhz). NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8mb (laptop version), 16 GB of DDR4-2400 RAM, SSD - Samsung 970 Evo  500GB M.2 NVMe, 1TB HDD 7200.

Thanks for the feedback Dean.  If there is a demo, I don't know where to find it however.

Orman

It's just ok I guess. Autopilot somewhat improved..  Managed speed flight director issues. Very strange F/D commands in certain pitch modes..  Takes too long to accelerate to 250 no matter what the payload is and over 10000 it doesn't pitch down enough to capture climb speed..  Plus you can only select ILS approaches and they don't have the approach waypoints in the MCDU for some reason  and can't do RNAV or other non precision approaches unless you manually put in waypoints..

Better handling that's for sure but flare mode is still off.. Can't seem to pitch up to smooth out the rate of descent especially in the a340.. Drops like a rock.. I messaged them and no response yet seeing they're quite busy with other things..

Capt. Billy Bob

Tony Fontaine

I got Roll Out on landing.

Interesting. I see the FMA notification for it but the aircraft, regardless, veers off the runway. And I'm kind of done interacting with BBS. Those guys are top-notch A-holes:

Attempted to download yesterday using a download manager which not only failed, but likely indicated to their system that I had attempted a ton of downloads (that's how download managers work, to my knowledge). In getting them to reset my download link, I was met with suspicion and quite the attitude.

Plus you can only select ILS approaches and they don't have the approach waypoints in the MCDU for some reason and can't do RNAV or other non precision approaches unless you manually put in waypoints..

They are re-writing the entire MCDU/Nav systems in the 0.90 update. My main gripe is the overuse of shine/reflection in the VC. At times you cannot read anything on the pedestal/panel. Agree with the slow acceleration issue.

David Porrett

Plus you can only select ILS approaches and they don't have the approach waypoints in the MCDU for some reason  and can't do RNAV or other non precision approaches unless you manually put in waypoints..

That's because the navdata is still the old PSS data and doesn't contain most approaches.

DJ

That's because the navdata is still the old PSS data and doesn't contain most approaches.

DJ

So for those of us with Navigraph subs can we replace data with full set and upto date?

Guest Mik75

So for those of us with Navigraph subs can we replace data with full set and upto date?

You can update you navdata with navigraph, but only with the PSS set, and that is lacking a lot of approaches, transitions, etc.

On my first test patterns with the new version, I definitely noticed some improvements (A/P, vertical profile, FBW), but the systems aren't modelled correctly, or at all, the VC looks a bit simple and doesn't offer too much immersion, etc.

On the positive side, you get all important variants of the A330/340, the performance in the sim (fps wise) is very good in P3D, VAS hit as well, the outside model looks quite nice (and they offer some ok liveries as well), and they added a neat preflight tool to load the plane with payload and fuel, calculate the fuel, install liveries, etc.

A step in the right direction, but i hope they will be able to pick up some speed, concerning the necessary updates.

That being said, I just received an email that a new version is available. ;-)